Why should I get a calcium reactor? Add your tip!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your costs of running a reliable calcium reactor is way high! I hate posts like this as they deter people from considering a calcium reactor. these post also ten to come from someone that does not use or is not well versed in a calcium reactor as well.

CaRx - masterflex 350 (MJ 400 cost you $25)
(I looked at unique corals but those rx are expensive so I will use BRS to look at cost)
BRS Nice co2 regulator - 300 (there are many cheaper regulators that are reliable $120)
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ00173-FICORE-vi.html

5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50 (most regulators sold in the hobby have this included)
Skimz monster reactor _the smaller size was rated too small for rev's tank - CM202 650 (cut that down to $500 for a reactor that is more than rated for Rev's tank) https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...cium_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ94609-FICRRA-vi.html)
pH controller if needed -120 (also unnecessary)

My total is $725. Now you can add the ph controller if you want to but it's just a luxury item.

Hate is a strong word...

Also implying I don't know how they work or never have had one. You rascal!

I guess for minimizing costs we can also look at bubble magus for 2 part. Ran one of those for 2 years and didn't need to change the heads although it was time after that 2year mark. I think it was $250? I also ran a jaebo $100 unit for a year without issues.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you are correct, I should have said, "I really hate"

I totally understand. I have a couple friends who's parents were killed by LED lights and they vigorous attack all LED related posts, saying the same thing over and over and arguing with each post because for them it's personal and they will never, ever let it go. Of course this is balanced by the lifereef gang...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debates are good as long as it's done in a respectful manner to each other.

And does not kill a great thread like this one.
:)

Regards, GoVols

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debates are good as long as it's done in a respectful manner to each other.

And does not kill a great thread like this one.
:)

Regards, GoVols

Exactly. When I said debates are how we end these I didn't mean forum war.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times a forum war is ok but (lol) you'd better have the hard facts when it goes from a debate to a war.

Months ago I got into it with @jason2459 (on a simple way to know if your mag levels are good) and I was wrong when you cal is at 415 or lower... but I did apologize to him on that thread and I hope that he has forgiven me since that night.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, it is obvious that my comment was made out to be way more than what I wrote. I cannot help that someone was offended by a comment I made that only criticized the type of comment that was made. I only said I hate post like this, pointed out my criticism and shed light on the typical origin of the misinformation. Anyone who knows me know that I come locked and loaded with facts for a debate. As someone who endorses both forms of cal/alk maintenance, I wanted to clear up the huge price difference as I hear it over and over on various forums. Being offended by that comment is no different that being offended by my signature. If the shoe fits....

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times a forum war is ok but (lol) you'd better have the hard facts when it goes from a debate to a war.

Months ago I got into it with @jason2459 (on a simple way to know if your mag levels are good) and I was wrong when you cal is at 415 or lower... but I did apologize to him on that thread and I hope that he has forgiven me since that night.

neveer

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched to a CaRX i was scared I'm not going to lie. Bubble counting, flow rates and co2 all scared me. But after I learned that you can use this effective means of "dosing" easier I was sold.

First, get a good reactor. I recommend the appropriate sized Geo's Reef reactor. Second, good media. I use TLF Reborn media that won't leach phosphates and is very clean right out of the bag. It only took me 2 minutes to rinse it before putting it in my reactors. Third, get a regulator that has a good solenoid. While the carbon dosers are nice I don't feel it's totally necessary the way I run my reactor. Fourth, make sure you have a controller lol. And last, just get a decent feed pump. Peristaltic pumps are nice but pricy and aren't really needed IMO if you run your setup this certain way.

For the ph drop concerns add a 2nd chamber. I was having low ph when I just ran the CaRX alone. My ph was regularly between 7.9-8.1. After I added the 2nd chamber my ph has been back to its "normal" 8.1-8.4 range. So that's an easy "fix".

Now for the fun part, how to run the system. This version is easy, you adjust the ph in the reactor not the bubble count or effluent. You want the flow out of the effluent to be a slow, steady flow. A little faster than when you can see the tiny bubble formations be almost uniformed. You start the ph in the reactor around 7.08as your low setting and then your high would be 7.18. You then test your alk to see if it dropped, if it did then lower the ph by .01 on your controller to turn your regulator on and off. Here is the video I used to set up initially.

I also know some ppl have issues with magnesium being low, but you can add the appropriate amount of magnesium to the reactor as well to help with this. I've never had an issue with it since I use salts that have higher amounts of mag already so it barely moves at all weekly

wow thank you for sharing this, I have recently been interested in researching calcium reactors and what is entailed to run one, pros and cons with different types and multiple chambers. After reading through a lot of info I was starting to get really confused about the dripping and the different pumps people use for their styles. This method seems very easy to set up and more reliable too! At least as far as lines clogging - changing the amount of effluent. Definitely bookmarking this thread for the future when my tank is more demanding of calcium

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. I am in the same boat as you in that I plan to keep dosing 2 part with my Dos but now thinking I may need to switch to a ca rx some day. looking forward to the replies here.
I'm in the same exact boat as you. I'm thinking about the Dastaco. It seems tried and true.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt get a calcium reactor with ph 7.9 or lower. Id get a kalk reactor.
Great incite. :rolleyes:
Kalk has a lot of upsides. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Can kalk handle all the Cal and Alk needs and stay balanced on a 400 gal SPS reef tank?
Just trying to learn more about kalk on larger reefs. ;Writing

Thanks, GoVols

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great incite. :rolleyes:
Kalk has a lot of upsides. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Can kalk handle all the Cal and Alk needs and stay balanced on a 400 gal SPS reef tank?
Just trying to learn more about kalk on larger reefs. ;Writing

Thanks, GoVols

A kalk reactor could. Probably not just limewater though. Its either high ph with kalk or low ph with a calcium reactor. Or both. Pick your poison.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kalk reactor could. Probably not just limewater though. Its either high ph with kalk or low ph with a calcium reactor. Or both. Pick your poison.
With a kalk reactor how high could the ph level reach? ;Writing

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2una
Does your kalk stirrer, handle all your cal and alk needs for your S-650?

If so, how high is your ph?

Thanks, Freddie

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chirping in as a Dastaco owner:
My biggest hate/dislike is it has (or mine has) a fixed PH of around 6.0,
Even with 2nd chamber my effluent PH to tank is 6.1,so i regard that 2nd chamber as pretty much a waste of time/money.
For a basement setup with already Co2/ph issues i would try something that is more adjustable in the PH dept.
I now have a garden of equipment on my tank to counter low ph.
Other than that its reliable as long as you adhere to the change doser tubing every 6 months recommendation

Edit: Freddy do you have a cam in my office? was typing this then see above your post LOL....NO my Kalk stirrer is there to help offset low ph only, 1.5/L day into a 650L/180G + 2.5 skimmers +2 x Co2 scrubbers & that will keep me above a ph of 7.9 low

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@2una
From that Red Sea forum thread...
I forgot that your pushing a cal reactor :confused: and I never noticed it being a Dastaco :D, in you pictures.

As always... Thanks for your help, Freddie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: I saw you at the top of this thread while I was on it, So that's why I gave you a shout out. :)

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anybody that knows their stuff :)
(lol) I'm trying to learn and ;Writing this down.

If your ph was to stay at 8.6 or higher what are the down sides the be aware of?

Thanks, GoVols

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back