Why should I get a calcium reactor? Add your tip!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run or need a CaRx but really like the idea of them and would like one some day. What about the float/sensor model ones like the Pacific Sun ones? I haven't seen them mentioned much but they seem like they are crazy easy to set up. The feed pump/controller from pacific sun also looks awesome.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run or need a CaRx but really like the idea of them and would like one some day. What about the float/sensor model ones like the Pacific Sun ones? I haven't seen them mentioned much but they seem like they are crazy easy to set up. The feed pump/controller from pacific sun also looks awesome.
If I went back to a cal reactor, it would be a GEO 2 stage and run it according to the video's on post #13.
For myself, his method is a "no brainier" but (lol)... that's JMO. :)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched to a CaRX i was scared I'm not going to lie. Bubble counting, flow rates and co2 all scared me. But after I learned that you can use this effective means of "dosing" easier I was sold.

These are good instruction.
First, get a good reactor. I recommend the appropriate sized Geo's Reef reactor. Second, good media. I use TLF Reborn media that won't leach phosphates and is very clean right out of the bag. It only took me 2 minutes to rinse it before putting it in my reactors. Third, get a regulator that has a good solenoid. While the carbon dosers are nice I don't feel it's totally necessary the way I run my reactor. Fourth, make sure you have a controller lol. And last, just get a decent feed pump. Peristaltic pumps are nice but pricy and aren't really needed IMO if you run your setup this certain way.

Forbthe ph drop concerns add a 2nd chamber. I was having low ph when I just ran the CaRX alone. My ph was regularly between 7.9-8.1. After I added the 2nd chamber my ph has been back to its "normal" 8.1-8.4 range. So that's an easy "fix".

Now for the fun part, how to run the system. This version is easy, you adjust the ph in the reactor not the bubble count or effluent. You want the flow out of the effluent to be a slow, steady flow. A little faster than when you can see the tiny bubble formations be almost uniformed. You start the ph in the reactor around 7.08as your low setting and then your high would be 7.18. You then test your alk to see if it dropped, if it did then lower the ph by .01 on your controller to turn your regulator on and off. Here is the video I used to set up initially.

And here is a quick walkthru video of my setup

I also know some ppl have issues with magnesium being low, but you can add the appropriate amount of magnesium to the reactor as well to help with this. I've never had an issue with it since I use salts that have higher amounts of mag already so it barely moves at all weekly

I have a Vertex on my 300 gallon system and other than run my skimmer line outside it works great. Tank stays above PH of 8, reactor runs between 6.5-6.6 PH and alk stays between 8.5-9.5. I use a small maxijet to push water into reactor, be sure you have an extra bleed so the pump is allowed to push more water than what goes into reactor. My regulator is a Reef Fanatic don't even know if you can still get them. I occasionally check my alk and add media every couple of months. Be sure you get a good reactor and balance your alkalinity and calcium to start. I was going to get a Geo as there are a lot of good reviews but picked up the Vertex used and it has worked better than the previous 2 I have owned. I don't fiddle with it, never need to adjust the flow because of slow down only for coral growth and when I refill the media.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the fact that I am totally messing up the whole 2 part dosing regimen why would you suggest a Calcium Reactor for me or anyone else?

CR618b-1.jpg
Easy to use, especially on larger tank. I would get one that is at least recommended for your tank size or just a little large. Get the second chamber to help with rasing the PH on the output some suggest using smaller media in second chamber but I don't.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If u go with cal reactor then u must get a quality pump and regulator. If either your effluence drip or the co2 are not stable then your alk will not be stable as well. Also u need a pH probe in your reactor so u can dial in your setting easier instead of bubble count and effluence drip.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u go with cal reactor then u must get a quality pump and regulator. If either your effluence drip or the co2 are not stable then your alk will not be stable as well. Also u need a pH probe in your reactor so u can dial in your setting easier instead of bubble count and effluence drip.
You should use a controller either a separate ph controller or like an Apex. I believe Rev has an Apex

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the apex for fail safe but not to control the co2. If u set up correctly the co2 will be on 24/7
Any controller on a calcium reactor is to control so the PH in the reactor does not get to low. You can also use probe in display to shut off reactor if tank PH gets to low. After tweaking your drip rate and bubble count to maintain alkalinity you should also work toward having the CO2 solenoid shut off as little as possible. First line is maintaining by drip rate and bubble count but controller is back up. My solenoid shuts off about 4-6 times in a 24 hour period which allows me to make minor adjustments of PH in reactor without adjusting drip rate or bubble count. I don't own an Apex and use a Milwaukee PH controller that is 15+ maybe even 20+ years old. I would love an Apex but money is always tight plus I also believe in the KISS method. The most time I spend on my tank is feeding and cleaning the glass along with just observing the inhabitants. I can leave for two weeks and a power outage is my biggest concern. If I am within 5-6 hours of home the Apex would be nice for problem notification much farther away and it may not matter as damage may already happened. If you don't have power backup on the Apex and your internet you will not get notifications when the power goes out. Since about 1973 I have kept fresh and then saltwater systems never had more than two at a time but I have never had a tank crash, knock on wood, not saying never had problems just never a complete failure where all or most inhabitants died.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your reactor as the video's posted above? :rolleyes:

Yep. Pretty much the same method, except I didn't do any research and was lazy and this is the easiest way. Have a 300 gallon tank with SPS and clams. Expect that my clams use the most ALK. Like the video, I do have issues with low calcium that I sometimes have to supplement but only need to it monthly.

The differences are:
1. My flow is a medium drip instead of a fast drip (Just found that this works for me).
2. Use ARM extra coarse in the main reaction chamber and ARM small in the secondary chamber. My secondary chamber get used up much faster than the primary, but it is easier to replace media in the second chamber. Extra coarse ARM in the primary chamber because the small ones sometimes get dislodged and get into the recirculating pump.

My reactor is an old MRC CR2 dual chamber with a MAG 2 recirculating pump with needle valve and carbon doser (again because it is the easiest and perfect for lazy people). I think the unit is about 8 years old but still working well.

In my opinion, get just about any Calcium reactor that enables you to measures PH in the reaction chamber and is big enough for your system. But invest in a good controller and the aquariumplants.com doser.

I don't use a feed pump. I just start the water flowing through the reactor initially with a pump from the sump and disconnect the pump after the flow is started and dripping. It stays constant by itself.

Last edited:

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newer version of MRC Dual Chamber. I found that everyone has their number of PH to melt media due to different types of media, Reactors, and PH calibrations(Hi or Low) I run my PH (Apex) Co2 on at 6.93 and 6.93 off which maintains Alk constantly @ 172 PPM. I use the coarse ARM Media.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Pretty much the same method, except I didn't do any research and was lazy and this is the easiest way. Have a 300 gallon tank with SPS and clams. Expect that my clams use the most ALK. Like the video, I do have issues with low calcium that I sometimes have to supplement but only need to it monthly.

The differences are:
1. My flow is a medium drip instead of a fast drip (Just found that this works for me).
2. Use ARM extra coarse in the main reaction chamber and ARM small in the secondary chamber. My secondary chamber get used up much faster than the primary, but it is easier to replace media in the second chamber. Extra coarse ARM in the primary chamber because the small ones sometimes get dislodged and get into the recirculating pump.

My reactor is an old MRC CR2 dual chamber with a MAG 2 recirculating pump with needle valve and carbon doser (again because it is the easiest and perfect for lazy people). I think the unit is about 8 years old but still working well.

In my opinion, get just about any Calcium reactor that enables you to measures PH in the reaction chamber and is big enough for your system. But invest in a good controller and the aquariumplants.com doser.

I don't use a feed pump. I just start the water flowing through the reactor initially with a pump from the sump and disconnect the pump after the flow is started and dripping. It stays constant by itself.

A reactor that is to small is less consistent and needs to be refilled more often.
If the reactor is recirculating the CO2 well the the media in the main chamber should go quicker than in the secondary chamber by weight. Since I set my Vertex up 6-8 months ago I have gone through about 10+ lbs of media( about 4-5 cups coarse every couple months) in primary and none in secondary.
The carbondoser is nice but still $300, if I had to buy new one I would like to go that way. I only paid $69 for my Reef Fanatic regulator with solenoid and needle valve, it has been working flawlessly so no hurry.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reactor that is to small is less consistent and needs to be refilled more often.
If the reactor is recirculating the CO2 well the the media in the main chamber should go quicker than in the secondary chamber by weight. Since I set my Vertex up 6-8 months ago I have gone through about 10+ lbs of media( about 4-5 cups coarse every couple months) in primary and none in secondary.
The carbondoser is nice but still $300, if I had to buy new one I would like to go that way. I only paid $69 for my Reef Fanatic regulator with solenoid and needle valve, it has been working flawlessly so no hurry.

That's what I expected. However, I think because the media in the secondary chamber is much finer, more area is exposed the acidic liquid and it is consumed faster. Just my observation.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably waiting for more comments or busy getting his tank balanced.
Bruce,
My bet, is on your "or busy"... :)
But at this point... (lol) I'd go with "or trying". :confused:

Freddie

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
If you are still tagging for input.

How about calling Unique Corals and getting the low down on the Dastaco cal reactors.

Also let them know that your large reef is in your basement and your concerned about low ph in your basement. They may be able to help with that too.

Regards, GoVols

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
If you are still tagging for input.

How about calling Unique Corals and getting the low down on the Dastaco cal reactors.

Also let them know that your large reef is in your basement and your concerned about low ph in your basement. They may be able to help with that too.

Regards, GoVols
I think that is a good way to go with the DaStaco, my biggest concern would be warranty and replacement parts. The DaStaco reactors are pretty tall but that allows them to work with higher PH levels. Most people don't have 32 or more inches height inside their stand.

One can always run PVC inside the wall to to reach a point where you can get outside air, unless it is all concrete or brick but even then it can be done if you want to spend the money. Skimmer line or lines can be attached to fittings on the PVC. If you also are using an air pump there are ways of connecting a jar or other container to the PVC and putting pump into container with air line coming out of container. One could also use carbon to filter the air of outside pollution. I wanted a larger tank but the wife said no, with current financials it worked out best. My goal now is to see how long I can keep everything going with out any livestock dying and see how the corals grow in..

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my biggest concern would be warranty and replacement parts.
+1 to the above :rolleyes: and I'd have to have a coming to God conversation with Unique Corals about those concerns.

But for Rev the Dastaco may?... be the easiest cal reactor for him to tune in and keep stable. :)

I think his basement is bricked in but there are many ways to over come that factor like installing a ERV into his central heating and cooling unit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back