Why should I get a calcium reactor? Add your tip!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all posts. I went straight to a Ca reactor from setup due to projected needs over time with cost in mind. You can turn it as low as you want, and obviously size becomes an issue when you're maxing out flow. Currently I am using pH settings to increase alk prior to maxing flow so I know when I'll need to upgrade.

You should absolutely have a pH controlled regulator for safety reasons (assuming your probe and controller are functioning well, calibrated, etc).

In my opinion, you don't need a fancy drive pump. I currently use a 26 dollar pump with a ball valve occlusion the outlet portion of the hose, with a T-piece to 1/4 inch line that feeds my reactor. These pumps handle back pressure well, are simple to clean, and it's cheap enough you can have one on hand should it fail. Mines been running 24/7 for a year. No issues. Honestly haven't even cleaned it.

I only dose Mag separately but next time will he incorporating that into the reactor media.

The amount it simplifies my life has already made the initial cost worth it.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex on my 300 gallon system and other than run my skimmer line outside it works great. Tank stays above PH of 8, reactor runs between 6.5-6.6 PH and alk stays between 8.5-9.5. I use a small maxijet to push water into reactor, be sure you have an extra bleed so the pump is allowed to push more water than what goes into reactor. My regulator is a Reef Fanatic don't even know if you can still get them. I occasionally check my alk and add media every couple of months. Be sure you get a good reactor and balance your alkalinity and calcium to start. I was going to get a Geo as there are a lot of good reviews but picked up the Vertex used and it has worked better than the previous 2 I have owned. I don't fiddle with it, never need to adjust the flow because of slow down only for coral growth and when I refill the media.

Exact setup as I.

What was your pH prior to, did you have a instant improvement (if there is a such thing in reefing). Mine jumped from 7.8-8.1 to 8.2-8.4 in a day.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact setup as I.

What was your pH prior to, did you have a instant improvement (if there is a such thing in reefing). Mine jumped from 7.8-8.1 to 8.2-8.4 in a day.
My tank was running 7.6-7.8 because of CO2 in the home so I ran my skimmer lines into the garage would be better if they were run outside. My PH is now between 7.9-8.1 and if the weather is good when I open the house it will get around 8.2 as long as it stays above 8 I don't worry at all. I could add an ATS or refugium to increase PH. Could also dose kalkwasser but it increases buildup on pumps.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done kalk, 2 part and a CA reactor. A Ca reactor is more cost effective long term on a larger tank Here a vid I made to explain it for someone a while

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was running 7.6-7.8 because of CO2 in the home so I ran my skimmer lines into the garage
Bruce,
I did the same thing and it helped my ph too.

Also, I'm a window opening junkie too.
Open the windows, turn on ceiling fans, leave the AC thermostat alone (gotta keep the wife happy) but switch the AC's fan from auto to on. :)

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run or need a CaRx but really like the idea of them and would like one some day. What about the float/sensor model ones like the Pacific Sun ones? I haven't seen them mentioned much but they seem like they are crazy easy to set up. The feed pump/controller from pacific sun also looks awesome.
I have not really seen anything recent on them but I was curious about reviews on the Pacific Sun.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used geo reactors for years with success. I've not tried the secondary chamber, and have used a kalk reactor to keep ph up. I'm thinking I may try one. The Mrs. Wages kalk I'm using tends to jam up my pumps every few months which is a problem. Pics of my two systems which keep them both very stable.

3d329c3872a48fc74b67034fc54f8988.jpg
11895d9fdc475542526168c24f89de6b.jpg

AcroJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one question regarding the video method. Do all of the elements that make up the reactor media does all the same pH and rate? What I am thinking of year is the magnesium mediately occasionally put in a reactor that requires a much lower pH to start dissolving. I'd love to see some people's comments around that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one question regarding the video method. Do all of the elements that make up the reactor media does all the same pH and rate? What I am thinking of year is the magnesium mediately occasionally put in a reactor that requires a much lower pH to start dissolving. I'd love to see some people's comments around that.

If you add only one type of material, everything in it will be released as that material dissolves away.

If you add multiple media, such as aragonite and dolomite, they may dissolve at slightly different rates, driven partly by the pH needed for that type of crystal structure (calcite, aragonite, domomite, etc.), but also very strongly by the surface area of the two media used (which is driven by the amount, the particle size, and the particle roughness).

When people add dolomite for magnesium, they often start at about 10% of the media, and adjust in the future if needed.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works well for a large system like my 300 to keep costs down. Once dialed in, it is very stable but you sometimes have to watch for a depressed pH due to the CO2, but that can be addressed easily with a scrubber. You must use quality equipment as well to regulate properly. I went through several different CO2 regulators until I invested in a plant tank CO2 regulator. You still have to dose some additional chemicals like amino acids, potassium and iron but it beats blowing though a lot of 2-part.

Robert Scott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a calcium reactor on a large system and it is very stable. But I think I use a different method than many have described. I do not monitor the Ph in the reactor but measure frequently the Kh and Calcium (primarily the KH) of the display tank. and adjust the calcium reactor from there. Over the years I have found the need to adjust the calcium reactor output only occasionally due to coral growth, etc... The stability of a calcium reactor also allows the use of other methods to supplement if needed such as kalk and two part in small doses.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about it if running a very large system that required a lot of 2 part. But I would also consider buying 2 part cheap (de-icer and such from Randy's article) and just using 5g buckets and a dual head stenner or masterflex pump. I personally like the simplify of a single pump moving 2 part that can be run off a controller or just a simple timer.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think about it if running a very large system that required a lot of 2 part. But I would also consider buying 2 part cheap (de-icer and such from Randy's article) and just using 5g buckets and a dual head stenner or masterflex pump. I personally like the simplify of a single pump moving 2 part that can be run off a controller or just a simple timer.

Devils advocate. Considering the cost of a good dose pump that's very reliable you can offset most of the cost of a reactor pending system size. Especially for a smaller system like you're describing. I am biased as I love my reactor. I was very nervous when I set it up because many places made it sound complicated, but it was incredibly simple.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate. Considering the cost of a good dose pump that's very reliable you can offset most of the cost of a reactor pending system size. Especially for a smaller system like you're describing. I am biased as I love my reactor. I was very nervous when I set it up because many places made it sound complicated, but it was incredibly simple.

I have no issues with CaRx, but really don't most high end systems use a masterflex for the pump anyway for CaRx? That is how I actually heard about masterflex pumps was because people were using them for CaRx due to their long term reliability when running constantly for a reactor. So if you are using the same pump anyway there wouldn't seem to be much cost savings using that train of thought. Not that I want to get into a debate, people should use whatever they like, it doesn't matter one bit to me! Both work fine. Would be interesting to price it all out - let's see here, I got my master flex with dual heads for $350, but I will use that cost for both systems:

2 part - masterflex 350
Timer 30

Total of $380 for a super reliable 2 part doser and timer.

CaRx - masterflex 350
(I looked at unique corals but those rx are expensive so I will use BRS to look at cost)
BRS Nice co2 regulator - 300
5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50
Skimz monster reactor _the smaller size was rated too small for rev's tank - CM202 650
pH controller if needed -120

Total of 1550.

That extra 1170 buys a lot of dowflake and baking soda. Plus less equipment to worry about. Like I said I like reactors just fine but there is a trade off to just making stock solutions of 10 or 20g of 2 part (assuming you have the room for a huge reef) and refilling it as needed.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with CaRx, but really don't most high end systems use a masterflex for the pump anyway for CaRx? That is how I actually heard about masterflex pumps was because people were using them for CaRx due to their long term reliability when running constantly for a reactor. So if you are using the same pump anyway there wouldn't seem to be much cost savings using that train of thought. Not that I want to get into a debate, people should use whatever they like, it doesn't matter one bit to me! Both work fine. Would be interesting to price it all out - let's see here, I got my master flex with dual heads for $350, but I will use that cost for both systems:

2 part - masterflex 350
Timer 30

CaRx - masterflex 350
(I looked at unique corals but those rx are expensive so I will use BRS to look at cost)
5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50
Skimz monster reactor _the smaller size was rated too small for rev's tank - CM202 650

Total of 1550.

That extra 1170 buys a lot of dowflake and baking soda. Plus less equipment to worry about. Like I said I like reactors just fine but there is a trade off to just making stock solutions of 10 or 20g of 2 part (assuming you have the room for a huge reef) and refilling it as needed.

I use a small magdrive to feed my reactor and have no problems what-so-ever keeping her steady. I believe the masterflex was nice when you need a dedicated drip count that wouldn't fluctuate. When you run the stream method, you just need a steady flow of water through the reactor. I also run a Skimz calcium reactor and, I like it more than the GEO(no offense GEO) I had previously... Just my .02

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small maxijet to push water into reactor, be sure you have an extra bleed so the pump is allowed to push more water than what goes into reactor.
I too ran this method to feed my reactor. It ran for 5 years this way and only cleaned the pump once per year at most. If you can't afford those expensive peristaltic pumps, this is a cheap, reliable way to feed the reactor.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 part - masterflex 350
Timer 30

CaRx - masterflex 350
5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50

Total of 1550.

I think your costs of running a reliable calcium reactor is way high! I hate posts like this as they deter people from considering a calcium reactor. these post also ten to come from someone that does not use or is not well versed in a calcium reactor as well.

CaRx - masterflex 350 (MJ 400 cost you $25)
BRS Nice co2 regulator - 300 (there are many cheaper regulators that are reliable $120)
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ00173-FICORE-vi.html

5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50 (most regulators sold in the hobby have this included)
Skimz monster reactor _the smaller size was rated too small for rev's tank - CM202 650 (cut that down to $500 for a reactor that is more than rated for Rev's tank) https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...cium_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ94609-FICRRA-vi.html)
pH controller if needed -120 (also unnecessary)

My total is $725. Now you can add the ph controller if you want to but it's just a luxury item.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 part - masterflex 350
Timer 30

CaRx - masterflex 350
5lb tank - 80
solenoid - 50

Total of 1550.

Debates are good that's how we get to the end in these posts.

I got my setup used for 550$. All I use to feed is a 26$ inline maxi-jet. It's perfect. Been going for a year without issues. I keep a bunch around for random utilities and cleaning so if it fails I have no complaints.

Long term, media vs other reagents I think it's still cheaper. What's your yearly cost for soda ash etc and your system size/alk demand? I too use soda ash etc for dosing to fix deviations when they occur since it's much cheaper and I don't mind weighing/mixing stock solutions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back