Why so much variation.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a lot of threads on here now. Lowering nitrates, dosing nitrates, removing phosphates, dosing phosphates, alk to high or to low. Etc, Etc.

I have high nitrates and no phosphates.
So
I am using nopox and dosing phosphates now. Something I would have never done before coming to R2R.
I think I added too many fish too fast in my case.

I find it hard to believe that marine tank paramaters are so all over the place when there are so few variables to start with.

I suppose the age of the system and the bioload are somewhat infinite variables across everyone's tanks. Or is it something I am missing.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability and balance have not changed, IMO.

We've gotten so good at nutrient export we crossed the line that we can over do it. So simply chasing low NO3 and PO4 may have unintended consequences with either zero presence or out of balance.

Also, there is a correlation between ALk and NO3&PO4 levels.

Throw into the mix that we tend to put corals that come from different areas of the reef into a single tank - which adds another layer of difference. While the middle of the road parameters may not be optimal for some corals in such a tank , certainly we can conclude these tanks appear healthy and vibrant.

This leads to a number of different options for success,, but some combinations will likely leave you with algae issues or struggling corals.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there is so much variation because there are too many choices.

Some people think sand is better than no sand. Im in the no sand group. One proves food the other does not. Which is correct?

Some people think swing arm hydrometers are good, others think refractometers are. Whos salinity is correct?

Some think a 200 dollar skimmer is working like a 1000 skimmer. Which is better? Some think skimmers are removing food and dont use em.

Some think coralife salt is the bomb while ithers prefer instant ocean or aquaforest. Each has differing contaminants.

Some think led is the best while others think metal halide or t5 is.

So the answer is too many choices imo.

If we all used tbe same things, we would know what the problem is and could isolate that and solve it.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much variation because there is nonone best method. Everyone has a slightly different taste and approach to reef keeping. I personally am old school and do a modified Berlin method system with lots of flow, large skimmer, MH lights, sand bed and LR, dosed kalk or 2 part. Simple and low maintenance.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... Some of the best coloration in acropora I have seen have been in tanks with zero nitrates, as well as in tanks with 20ppm nitrates. Shrug. +1 for many paths to success, with stability being the major factor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back