OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna put soda lime to bed with those numbers. What's your daytime high if your jumping .5 with a 380? And how many watts are your pushing on your daytime lights? Seems crazy a 90 watt light with a little chaeto photosynthesis would push PH up .5.
Actually with this light that's not uncommon. When brs did an episode on it I believe the ph of their test tank was jumping up to almost 8.8

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldbe interested in results, have same issue, started added iron so will see maybe testing for missing ingredient is needed, i dont do water changes often
I suspect it's either an issue with either iron or iodine as I read somewhere along the way is also important to chaeto. either way, yes I think this icp will help greatly and I'll definitely update the thread as I'm reading this problem more and more.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the horticulture chinese box lights(ie Mars) would compare with the H380. Assuming your fuge was big enough to accommodate the extra spread of the distributed fixture. They are 300W fixtures but dimmable for around 80$. My fuge (Trigger 20 cube) is too small for either light to be practical but maybe on my next setup. I ended up using two aquafuge lights that stick on the side of the fuge with magnets. Nowhere near the power or growth you guys are getting but definitely saved me a lot of space under a tight stand.

Edit; doesn't look like the mars are dimmable after all. It doesn't look like dimming is a feature anyone cares about in Hort lights which is probably why Kessil didn't bother with it either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the horticulture chinese box lights(ie Mars) would compare with the H380. Assuming your fuge was big enough to accommodate the extra spread of the distributed fixture. They are 300W fixtures but dimmable for around 80$. My fuge (Trigger 20 cube) is too small for either light to be practical but maybe on my next setup. I ended up using two aquafuge lights that stick on the side of the fuge with magnets. Nowhere near the power or growth you guys are getting but definitely saved me a lot of space under a tight stand.
There is another user on here @BigJohnny who uses this light similar to the mars and he.has had great success with it. He's pulling chaeto out weekly. https://www.amazon.com/Growstar-Spectrum-Seeding-Growing-Flowering/dp/B07312WKX2

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another user on here @BigJohnny who uses this light similar to the mars and he.has had great success with it. He's pulling chaeto out weekly. https://www.amazon.com/Growstar-Spectrum-Seeding-Growing-Flowering/dp/B07312WKX2

I just installed my Growstar yesterday. We will see how it works

20180331_123916.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 31st added to the refugium
LK3oBKCl.jpg

April 2nd
rjHkJvdl.jpg

Today
GGASdEDl.jpg

Considerable growth in my opinion for just a couple days. Had to get a new batch of chaeto after switching sumps.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say had good growth with h80 then it went flat, thought it was light put in h380 not much better, plenty of N &P, added iron and iodide, bom shackalacka, pile of green
did you just add it without knowing you had a deficiency or did you add them in response to a low test? I'm certain I'm having the exact same issue so it's relieving to read that it improved your growth :)

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth was minimal at best, never ran a test but had over 50 N & P was .2, no gha in tank so folks should not stress N levels, added 2 caps of iron supplement 3-4x for 2 weeks before i noticed growth

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back