Why the Kessil H380 was my best purchase ever

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much chaeto is needed to choke out gha? Started with tennis ball size and growth has been slow allowing hair algea to start, wondering what or when is turning point. Going to havest alittle hair algea but wondering on balance

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to steal the thunder on your post or kessils because I love em and currently run them on my display!

For me a kessil on a Refugium is to much IMO, and I mean that simply for costs! It’s by all means freaking awesome! But I like to save money where I can!
My refugium is powered by a 20 dollar homedepot LED flood! At 6500k! And this thing just blows up my Chaeto! I’m only sharing this on here for informative purposes! I trim once every 2 weeks at least a kings bag full.
My fuge dimensions 10x12
You can see the Chaeto is thick at mat like! It grows to the shape of my fife then I get to chopping! I just wish my tangs liked the stuff!
Lit 24hrs a day!
I will have to double check on the watts of the bulb!
Maybe I’ll put a kessil to the test on my 125!

1A97B857-BC51-42DF-92CA-797CC9791ABA.jpeg

C5B8B901-09ED-43CA-8FDA-683D55ECB75E.jpeg

F90173C4-0342-48BA-B8A6-ECB41F46A598.jpeg

I am sorry but you are totally wrong.

I can grow two full 5 gallon buckets of Cheato from a soccer ball size clump. With a proper spectrum grow light can maximize the growth of the chaeto and this export when I harvest. Easily controls my nutrients.

I have tried many many different bulbs, lights, wattages, spectrums, everything over the years. Just about all of them grew chaeto pretty well and I thought it was workIng good. I was very wrong. I started to study and research photo spectrum for photosynthesis. I started to realize that the majority of light produced buy most general purpose bulbs is wasted on my plants and doesn’t go to photosynthesis. Then I found some lights that focused on that very well, these lights are built and sold to grow indoor plants (weed). I noticed increased performance in hours! pH remains a whole .1-.2 higher in average through the day. NO3 and PO4 disappeared! Vanished! I had to add some manually because my corals started to pale.

I think 300$ spent on a product that can be a major export method, increase daily averag pH, increase O2, binds NO3 and PO4 as fast as they are produced, and has almost no draw backs is a bargain.

Does it have to be a 300$ Kessil? No.
My first couple fixtures cost only 79$ each, but first one fan stopped working and the other power supply fried. Neither made it more than 6 months.

The Kessil will be the last fuge light I’ll have to buy for 5+ years. Money well spent IMO.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can grow two full 5 gallon buckets of Cheato from a soccer ball size clump. With a proper spectrum grow light can maximize the growth of the chaeto and this export when I harvest. Easily controls my nutrients.

I have tried many many different bulbs, lights, wattages, spectrums, everything over the years. Just about all of them grew chaeto pretty well and I thought it was workIng good. I was very wrong. I started to study and research photo spectrum for photosynthesis. I started to realize that the majority of light produced buy most general purpose bulbs is wasted on my plants and doesn’t go to photosynthesis. Then I found some lights that focused on that very well, these lights are built and sold to grow indoor plants (weed). I noticed increased performance in hours! pH remains a whole .1-.2 higher in average through the day. NO3 and PO4 disappeared! Vanished! I had to add some manually because my corals started to pale.

I think 300$ spent on a product that can be a major export method, increase daily averag pH, increase O2, binds NO3 and PO4 as fast as they are produced, and has almost no draw backs is a bargain.

My first couple fixtures cost only 79$ each, but first one fan stopped working and the other power supply fried. Neither made it more than 6 months.

The Kessil will be the last fuge light I’ll have to buy for 5+ years. Money well spent IMO.
Bruh... it defiantly works the goal is not to strip your aquarium of all of its nutrients as P04 is important in coral structure and NO3 for coral color.
Saying something is wrong that is working is wrong.
And again I am shining light on the cheaper option. Not everyone wants to drop 300 or more on ights.
As mentioned I harvest every 2 weeks... gallon bags... therefore we are talking 4 days longer, than your periods of growth for a lot cheaper. I’ll stick with my setup, and it’s still an LED so it will last just as long.

Last edited:

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the A-series controller I have control an H80 also?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been him/hawing about the 120 or 380, after this 380 it is!

kz4q66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"H380 was my best purchase ever"
I totally agreed.
It pays of itself in the long run. I stopped using GFO and buying cleaning crews.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh... it defiantly works the goal is not to strip your aquarium of all of its nutrients as P04 is important in coral structure and NO3 for coral color.
Saying something is wrong that is working is wrong.
And again I am shining light on the cheaper option. Not everyone wants to drop 300 or more on ights.
As mentioned I harvest every 2 weeks... gallon bags... therefore we are talking 4 days longer, than your periods of growth for a lot cheaper. I’ll stick with my setup, and it’s still an LED so it will last just as long.

It is my opinion that a light with a spectrum based on photosynthesis rates and lights absorption makes a more efficient light. Thus the light is worth the investment. You wrongly assume the chaeto strips the water of nutrients. The Kessil will remove more nutrients.

You say the Kessil isn’t worth it. I say the Kessil is worth it, you get what you get for the extra money.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like i'm cutting out my sock compartment, has anyone grown Gracilaria or red flat blade dragons B. etc? like to farm fish food

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these ones from Bulk Reef Supply
Kessil H380.png
Untitled.png

And when I get home tonight I'll hook up my Seneye and see if its the same :)

Would you say this was completely worth the buy and necessary? I have had to centralize my tank around the heart so I just spent the money but hard choice being it doesn’t really say when you need a h38” over h80 please help me with you’re experience with both

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these ones from Bulk Reef Supply
Kessil H380.png
Untitled.png

And when I get home tonight I'll hook up my Seneye and see if its the same :)

Would you say this was completely worth the buy and necessary? I have had to centralize my tank around the heart so I just spent the money but hard choice being it doesn’t really say when you need a h38” over h80 please help me with you’re experience with both

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my personal experience, unless your fuge is really small (hang on back unit, or less than 10x10 and shallow), the H380 is the best choice.

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my personal experience, unless your fuge is really small (hang on back unit, or less than 10x10 and shallow), the H380 is the best choice.

Hey I been looking and can’t find the answer to this question. Since you can’t lower the intensity can you if you had a spectrum controller??

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I been looking and can’t find the answer to this question. Since you can’t lower the intensity can you if you had a spectrum controller??
The H380 does not have a port for the spectral controller. So no unfortunately.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a H380 on my 225 gallon sump. It has only been on 30 days and my Chaeto From Algae Barn ( also more than worth the money ) has grown from 2 baseball size units to a 24" x 14" x 4" thick mat. light cycle 12 hours a day opposite time of the 9 Kessil A360's on my display tank. Money well spent on this refugium light.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great experience when I first got my refugium rolling as the h380 turned a baseball of chaeto into a 15"x15"x10" bail in a few weeks simply using a reverse 12 on/12 off photoperiod. I removed 75% of it and ever since it's been a struggle to get any growth at all. the refugium was supposed to be my main nutrient reduction method and I have plenty of nutrients available (po4 .09 / NO3 10ppm) so it's puzzling. I was under the assumption it is trace-element related so it got me doing a few water changes to add what components may have been missing but again no response in terms of growth. I added some caulerpa in hopes that conditions might favour another macro algae... nothing.
I will be sending an ICP test away to see what's missing in my system and causing the stunt in growth as it seems many experience this issue but none seem to report why or what they did to resolve it.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldbe interested in results, have same issue, started added iron so will see maybe testing for missing ingredient is needed, i dont do water changes often

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I had my h380 on my tank for 2 days and my ph went from 7.6 to 8.1 already. This dang thing really works

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I had my h380 on my tank for 2 days and my ph went from 7.6 to 8.1 already. This dang thing really works
You are gonna put soda lime to bed with those numbers. What's your daytime high if your jumping .5 with a 380? And how many watts are your pushing on your daytime lights? Seems crazy a 90 watt light with a little chaeto photosynthesis would push PH up .5.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just drank the kessil kool aid

my cheato last week has turned into a small ball of mush and overrun with GHA in the sump

i have GHA starting to come back in the display

got a new ball (basketball of thick dense green) of cheato from @chomoney and cleaned out the sump....

the kessil h380 will be here monday

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back