Why there is no medium sized peninsula?

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So, finally I decided what I’d like for an upgrade: definitely peninsula around 40-50g and external sump.

I am wondering why there is no peninsula tank at this size with a decent matching cabinet from one of the (above average) known brands?

All I could find is the big RS Reefer or Waterbox peninsulas or the small Evo or IM on the other side of the spectrum.

Any ideas where/which brand would have this? If no, any ideas what is the reason no one does it? I mean it looks like to me as a huge market gap.

Thank you!

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell, you’re correct.
I’ve spotted a couple things, that might fit the bill. But they’re not what you described entirely, and one is an AIO.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell, you’re correct.
I’ve spotted a couple things, that might fit the bill. But they’re not what you described entirely, and one is an AIO.

Hi there, thanks for your message!

I've seen the Fiji Cubes and I would be very keen to get one but doesn't fully match the criteria, unfortunately. The big one is too big and the 38G is just about the right size, however, it's AIO and no stand.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I figured it would be a rough fit, but wanted to try.

You could always try and find a local tank builder, but that can be more expensive, especially if you’re trying to find a stand with it as well.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I figured it would be a rough fit, but wanted to try.

You could always try and find a local tank builder, but that can be more expensive, especially if you’re trying to find a stand with it as well.

I actually looked at the 81g further and noticed it's 900mm long, that length is actually pretty good for me, I guess it's larger in capacity than 40-50g because of width/height. The only concern would be with this one is the weight then. I live in a second-floor new built flat (UK), I am not sure if that weight is within the safe range or not. Does it happen that you have experience with this? :)

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked at the 81g further and noticed it's 900mm long, that length is actually pretty good for me, I guess it's larger in capacity than 40-50g because of width/height. The only concern would be with this one is the weight then. I live in a second-floor new built flat (UK), I am not sure if that weight is within the safe range or not. Does it happen that you have experience with this? :)

well, I doubt you can see how the floor was made, or with what material, but if it’spretty new, it’s not out of the realm of possibility of finding out who the builder was and asking them what kind of a floor it is, or you could look up local building code for the relevant year the building was made and can do the backwards investigation to see what the weight per square meter is.

The ghetto solution would be to put down a board larger than the tank that was relatively thick, it would disperse the weight over a larger area.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I doubt you can see how the floor was made, or with what material, but if it’spretty new, it’s not out of the realm of possibility of finding out who the builder was and asking them what kind of a floor it is, or you could look up local building code for the relevant year the building was made and can do the backwards investigation to see what the weight per square meter is.

The ghetto solution would be to put down a board larger than the tank that was relatively thick, it would disperse the weight over a larger area.

The ghetto solution wouldn't work for me as I wanted it to be pretty. :) Now you say it, I have laminate on the floor and the cabinet would be perpendicular on that, so I guess that would distribute it a little more.

I found an amazing article that describes the complexity of this question: http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm Unfortunately I am still not closer as I won't be able to install next to a load-bearing wall, but only next to a divider wall, so looking at the article, 81g is in the middle of the range where the answer is "who knows" :D Basically it says the following:

Aquariums up to 55 gallons can be placed almost anywhere without much worry at all. Many tanks larger than 55 gallons and no more than 125 gallons will be okay, if they are placed in a good structural location and your floor framing is free from significant defects.

...so yeah considering this, I would feel much safer with a tank up to 55g.

Anyway, thank you for your time and the advice :) I will keep looking.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to find what direction the floor joists run. Install so length of tank runs perpendicular (distribute weight to as many joists as possible), and you should be fine with 80 gallons.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an additional note, I live on a second floor and set up a tank with a total of 90 gallons before rock or equipment in the system.
I never even bothered looking at the floor. I know it’s not over a load bearing wall either. It’s over my garage.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to find what direction the floor joists run. Install so length of tank runs perpendicular (distribute weight to as many joists as possible), and you should be fine with 80 gallons.

I contacted the builders to send me all the info I need, so hopefully, I will be able to make an educated decision from that. Thank you!

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an additional note, I live on a second floor and set up a tank with a total of 90 gallons before rock or equipment in the system.
I never even bothered looking at the floor. I know it’s not over a load bearing wall either. It’s over my garage.

This is reassuring, you put my mind at ease. Thank you. :)

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g is just like having 3 big men standing in the same area, 90g wouldn’t be an issue.

I've heard this analogy a few times, but I believe it's not accurate. 3 men wouldn't stand in the same spot for years. You see, the problem is the possible damage over time as a result of the floor carrying constant weight, rather than just falling through the roof straight away.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this analogy a few times, but I believe it's not accurate. 3 men wouldn't stand in the same spot for years. You see, the problem is the possible damage over time as a result of the floor carrying constant weight, rather than just falling through the roof straight away.

yeah good point, I still think floors are made to hold much more weight than 90g, a sofa in the same place for years with the same 3 men sitting on it over a period of year then ;) (They got tired standing up lol)

interested what the info you get back says.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah good point, I still think floors are made to hold much more weight than 90g, a sofa in the same place for years with the same 3 men sitting on it over a period of year then ;) (They got tired standing up lol)

interested what the info you get back says.

Yeah. I'd expect it would hold more as well. I let you guys know. Thanks for the input :)

Back