Wide Angle Lens

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy my first lens outside of the kit lens and I have decided I want to go with a wide angle lens for my T3i.

Can anyone suggest me some nice lens to look at? Maybe in the $400-$600 range?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By wide angle, do you mean fish eye or just really wide angle?

I like the canon 17-40mm, it's about $800 dollars. But a great L series lens. It's one of the cheapest aswell.

Take a look on B and H.com and see what they have.

There are alot of wide angle lenses avaiable on the market for canon mounts, just check em out!

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fish eye lens type of guy so I am just looking at really wide angel lens. It doesn't have to be a top of the line Lens or an L lens.

I'm still pretty new so I want to start a bit cheaper and work my way up to great glass.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at these lenses:
Canon Wide Angle EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens 2510A003 B&H

Canon Wide Angle EF 24mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens 2506A002 B&H Photo

Canon Super Wide Angle EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Autofocus 2509A003 B&H

Canon Wide Angle EF 28mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens 2505A002 B&H Photo

There's alot of options in your price range. There's slight differences in these lenses, but I'd look at getting the widest one you can since the t3i is a crop sensor camera. So the 20mm would be best, but the others like the 24 and 28 will work aswell.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Image Stablization play a big part in Landscape or Wide Angle photography?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Most of the time when you shooting wide angle your shooting at a fast shutter speed, same with landscape unless your shooting with a extremely slow shutter, which if you are a slow shutter speed, your most likely using a tri pod, so either way you look at it, IS wouldn't really be that much of a benefit over all.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. Thank you for all your advice and information.

I think I will be going with the Canon Wide Angle EF 24mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens. This is a prime lens, correct? Meaning in order to "zoom", I have to get closer?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. That is a good lens, auto focus isnt the best, but it still works great.

And yes, the 24mm focal length is fixed, s it's a prime lens, and lime you said you have to move closer if you want to zoom in. There is a minimum focusing distance on the lens though meaning you can get super close to a object.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading review and a lot of people said it was built similar to a kit lens which is what I was trying to avoid. I would like a lens with a nice build quality. Is this the case for most cheaper lens? Is there a third party lens that offers a better quality or should I stick to Canon Lens for now?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't believe the build quality is equal to stock lens. Most stock lens like the 18-55, have plastic mount, this lens does not.

The casing of the lens maybe plastic, but it's still far better than normal kit lens. You won't get a really good strong build quality till you get L lenses IMO. The canon lenses IMO all have good build quality, the 18-55 is the worst.

The 3rd part wide angle lenses are not that great, and cost more. Stick with canon.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigma actually makes some very good quality lenses, for Canon cameras, including some great wide angle options. As was mentioned, keep in mind that your crop sensor will "lengthen" the lens, by a factor of 1.6. So, a 50mm lens will actually be an 80mm. What this means is that to get a "wide angle," is a bit more difficult. Even a 20mm lens will end up at 32mm, on the crop factor is taken into account. So, to get a true wide angle, you'll be better off starting with something like a 10, 12, 17mm lens. Unfortunately, once you get this wide, they get rather expensive...lol.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about going with a non prime lens? Not as expencive as the 10-20mm but something a long those lines? Or should I stick with a true wide angle prime lens?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be fine looking at wide angle zoom lenses. There's some great ones out there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back