Wild Mangrove Transplant

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an hour of Google, YouTube and Reef2Reef searches I wasn’t finding the quite the answers I was looking for, so apologies if this was asked before. I have a saltwater reef tank and I recently collected a few wild red mangrove saplings that I would like to grow in my reef tank. From what I read/heard, if the roots are damaged then you need to put them in freshwater for a few weeks. Once they are healed then reacclimatize to salt over a few more weeks because the plant will not have the pressure needed to keep the salt water out which will harm the plant. Before I flew home with the saplings, agriculture had me wash out all the dirt three times over, so I did snap off some of the smaller more sensitive roots in that process and I’m sure some have broken in transport. If you can point me to a resource, or let me know what is true, that would help me out so much. I have read some people saying it should be fine going straight into aquarium and others saying it should go in freshwater first.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i collected mangroves from the Indian River, FL, and i put them straight into saltwater. They did great, event those with damaged roots. But they carried bacteria that infected my fish :/

OP
OP
gr8pretender

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i collected mangroves from the Indian River, FL, and i put them straight into saltwater. They did great, event those with damaged roots. But they carried bacteria that infected my fish :/
Well that’s a good consideration, maybe I can chemi-clean dip em? I wonder… Thanks for sharing because that is helpful to get me to decide what to do.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a good consideration, maybe I can chemi-clean dip em? I wonder… Thanks for sharing because that is helpful to get me to decide what to do.
i would treat with an anti-bacterial (i used ruby reef rally pro), but i think furan 2 would work

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back