Wild Mangrove Transplant

gr8pretender

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2021
Messages
19
Reaction score
17
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an hour of Google, YouTube and Reef2Reef searches I wasn’t finding the quite the answers I was looking for, so apologies if this was asked before. I have a saltwater reef tank and I recently collected a few wild red mangrove saplings that I would like to grow in my reef tank. From what I read/heard, if the roots are damaged then you need to put them in freshwater for a few weeks. Once they are healed then reacclimatize to salt over a few more weeks because the plant will not have the pressure needed to keep the salt water out which will harm the plant. Before I flew home with the saplings, agriculture had me wash out all the dirt three times over, so I did snap off some of the smaller more sensitive roots in that process and I’m sure some have broken in transport. If you can point me to a resource, or let me know what is true, that would help me out so much. I have read some people saying it should be fine going straight into aquarium and others saying it should go in freshwater first.
 
So i collected mangroves from the Indian River, FL, and i put them straight into saltwater. They did great, event those with damaged roots. But they carried bacteria that infected my fish :/
 
So i collected mangroves from the Indian River, FL, and i put them straight into saltwater. They did great, event those with damaged roots. But they carried bacteria that infected my fish :/
Well that’s a good consideration, maybe I can chemi-clean dip em? I wonder… Thanks for sharing because that is helpful to get me to decide what to do.
 
I’ve used mangrove saplings from the banana river without issue. Agree on rinsing them in saltwater first
 
Well that’s a good consideration, maybe I can chemi-clean dip em? I wonder… Thanks for sharing because that is helpful to get me to decide what to do.
i would treat with an anti-bacterial (i used ruby reef rally pro), but i think furan 2 would work
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new