Will a purple dottyback terrorize my tank?

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a purple dottyback based on live aquaria's "semi-aggressive" labeling, as I don't want any highly aggressive fish.

So the fish seemed to be doing fine, but abruptly died last night. Upon inspection, it looked like his right fin was torn up. I kind of think he went to war with my springer damsel... And lost.

I saw no aggression from either, but the dottyback was hanging around the springer's cave... So maybe they clashed in the wee hours.

Anyway, after I found the dotty dead, I looked to replace him. During this time, I noticed that most people really think purple dotty's are nightmare fish. I personally didn't see that, but he wasn't a very established fish, either. I did see him go head to head with my royal gramma, but it was limited to a stare down.

So here's the question... Should I replace him? Or should I... And I hate to say this... But should I count myself lucky that I lost a troublemaker before he turned the tank upside down?

I have a 125 gallon tank, 6 feet long. I currently only have it populated with a few inverts and 8 small fish.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 springer damsel (he's chill)
1 azure damsel (also pretty chill)
1 royal gramma
1 blue/green chromis
1 yellow clown goby
1 green clown goby
2 peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs
Assorted hermits and snails

If I replace the dottyback, am I signing the death warrant for some of my little guys? Is it worth considering an orchid dottyback? I hear they are much less aggressive.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psuedochromis are mean; yea, they're labeled semi-aggressive but that is in comparison to something like chupacabra! On a serious note, sometimes they're ok and sometimes they're the spawn of satan (usually the latter). The royal gramma has a similar look so I dont think you're missing much; I love the Arabian psuedochromis but every one I've had has been straight evil.

Edit: It's also very possible that it died from some other cause and the CUC went to work on the fins/body.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be for certain how a new dottyback will fit in, but it seems that the first one you had got sized up by the competition as potential trouble that had to be dealt with sooner than later. Why would you expect this will not happen again with another dottyback?

csal1-175

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 90 gallon a long time ago ,it harassed everything,had to pull all the rock to catch the terror

OP
OP
R

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, lots of input and mostly the same opinion. So if I write off the purple dotty, what are some opinions on the orchid?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill it with fire. It's my avatar from forever ago.
Doesn't matter.
Kill it with fire.

No dottybacks period.
[emoji53]
Beautiful fishes.
But give them their own 15 gallon home. Including orchids.

Stick with blue devil damsels if you want a friendly fish.
[emoji6]

If your current Royal Gramma is a decent size, you could add 4 or 5 tiny ones to start a harem.

Ask around about 'semi aggressive'.
Or 'reef safe with caution'. before you buy a fish.

They are good starting points (you have to have *some* type of chart or guide) but often they turn into an Insider's practical joke.

Yeah, unfortunately you dodged a bullet when it died.

OP
OP
R

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so here's another question... Would a black cap basslet get along with my royal gramma? I don't have a chubby for dottybacks, per se... But I do want a solid purple fish. Appreciate the info, guys. It is heard and absorbed.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred orchid dotty in my 69g I don’t really see it much besides feeding time and lurking in the rocks. My linespot flasher wrasse doesn’t let it out much. Beautiful fish in my tank it’s wimpy so far 2 months in. Dustin

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so here's another question... Would a black cap basslet get along with my royal gramma? I don't have a chubby for dottybacks, per se... But I do want a solid purple fish. Appreciate the info, guys. It is heard and absorbed.
Lol, that changes it a bit.

Both the orchid and the blackcap will hide.
You *may* see the orchid a lot more...

Just reread that your tank is 125 gallons and 6 ft long.

I'm guessing you have at least a hundred pounds worth of rock in there for them to hide in and make homes in?

We had no problem keeping a strawberry and a diadema dottiback in the same 75 for years because we had enough rock for everyone to run away from each other.
1 on the left side and 1 on the right side.
[emoji6]

OP
OP
R

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm guessing you have at least a hundred pounds worth of rock in there for them to hide in and make homes in?

We had no problem keeping a strawberry and a diadema dottiback in the same 75 for years because we had enough rock for everyone to run away from each other.
[emoji6]

Yes, indeed. I actually have about 130lbs of rock in there. Much of it hand drilled by me to create small caves and hiding chambers. So perhaps in a tank such as mine, a dottyback may not be a death sentence?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, indeed. I actually have about 130lbs of rock in there. Much of it hand drilled by me to create small caves and hiding chambers. So perhaps in a tank such as mine, a dottyback may not be a death sentence?
I would say yes.
I'm just trying to figure out what happened to the first dottyback.
That should have been enough territory and rock for less/no fighting.
Or at least everyone gets a home and stays near it.
[emoji848]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dottyback with a gramma is not a good idea. An orchid would be more docile but still isn’t likely to go well, IMO.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A dottyback is a fish I will never own again, mean and you rarely see them. Impossible to get out once in. Orchid are better but are in the rock most of the time.

Basslets dont mix. Blackcap and royal gramma are not going to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes.
I'm just trying to figure out what happened to the first dottyback.
That should have been enough territory and rock for less/no fighting.
Or at least everyone gets a home and stays near it.
[emoji848]

In reality, I have no idea what REALLY happened to the dotty. He seemingly had no issues with anyone.

I saw one or two stare downs with the gramma, in which the gramma would open his mouth wide at the dotty. But this was absolutely over a certain hiding spot and it never escalated. Both the dotty and the gramma kind of abandoned the spot in question.

The only reason I suggested the springer damsel may have killed the dotty, is because the springer has a cave that he has claimed since day one in the tank and the dotty had been hanging out in his cave.

The springer didn't seem to have a problem with the dotty being in the cave at the time, but after the dotty died, my azure started hanging out in the springer's cave and the azure got his butt whooped with a quickness!

However, the springer and the azure have no issues now. The azure stays out of the cave for the most part, but the springer will even tolerate him near by in small doses.

So it's entirely possible the dotty died of unrelated causes. Not sure how or why he died, to be honest.

OP
OP
R

Rob Minion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in the realm of possibility that one of my emerald crabs killed the dotty? I have heard stories of emeralds going all "First Blood era John Rambo" and the crabs do hang out where I found the dottyback...

But as fast as that dottyback was, there's no way he couldn't get away... Unless a crab blocked him inside one of the small chambers? But even then, the crabs aren't particularly large and I would have to assume that the dottyback could power out if need be.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[emoji6]
Strawberry and diadema dottybacks are of comparable aggression, and if they were added around the same time that will contribute to them working.

In the op's case his springeri, while maybe having his favorite cave, views the whole tank as his territory, so will not tolerate another dottyback, especially an orchid, which is smaller and more peaceful.
There are always exceptions, but the odds are steeppy against 2 dottybacks.
Is it in the realm of possibility that one of my emerald crabs killed the dotty? I have heard stories of emeralds going all "First Blood era John Rambo" and the crabs do hang out where I found the dottyback...

But as fast as that dottyback was, there's no way he couldn't get away... Unless a crab blocked him inside one of the small chambers? But even then, the crabs aren't particularly large and I would have to assume that the dottyback could power out if need be.
Crabs are opportunistic, but it is unlikely that an emerald crab hunted a healthy dottyback.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back