Will a sea hare eat this stuff?

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, my urchin won't touch it. Lawnmower blenny nipped at it a few times but didn't like it. I've had snails and hermits. This is the worst type of algae I have ever dealt with. Sea hare? Any other suggestions?

20211223_094913.jpg

20220224_104434.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, my urchin won't touch it. Lawnmower blenny nipped at it a few times but didn't like it. I've had snails and hermits. This is the worst type of algae I have ever dealt with. Sea hare? Any other suggestions?

20211223_094913.jpg

20220224_104434.jpg
Amost looks like a type of Red Dictyota algae.

Can you get a pic of it in the water, so I can see the structure of it more clearly.

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amost looks like a type of Red Dictyota algae.

Can you get a pic of it in the water, so I can see the structure of it more clearly.
From the research I have did, that's my best guess. I will try to get a better pic or video when I get home from work. Have you ever dealt with this before?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I have did, that's my best guess. I will try to get a better pic or video when I get home from work. Have you ever dealt with this before?

Offer it for sale!! Lol!

Screenshot_20220428-083318.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely grow it in my mangrove/macro lagoon. It sits alongside numerous other fast growing macros, so is not really an issue for me. Here is a list of what will eat it, provided it is Dictyota sp.

Mexican Turbo Snails
Blue Spotted Sea Hare (other sea hares may eat it, but I have 2 and they love to much on it and other macros)
Emerald Crabs
Eibli Angel
Atlantic Blue Tang
Ocean Surgeonfish

These are all confirmed in my tank to eat it. I have all of them and all eat it. Luckily, they eat other macros, so it can still grow out.

Due to your tank size, I would go sea hare and return it when it eats it all (it may come back, so you will still need something to mow it down). I would also add a mexican turbo. Once it is down to nothing, the single mexican turbo, should keep it in check if not finish it off.

If a sea hare cannot be had or you do not want to deal with returning it, then manual removal is best. You will still need a mexican turbo. Outside of mexican turbos being sort of bulldozers, they are a great addition to a clean up crew.

For manaul removal, you will need to remove the algae and its holdfast. Best way to remove the holdfast is to use a small dental pick set. (5 bucks on amazon). This will allow you to get the "roots".

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely grow it in my mangrove/macro lagoon. It sits alongside numerous other fast growing macros, so is not really an issue for me. Here is a list of what will eat it, provided it is Dictyota sp.

Mexican Turbo Snails
Blue Spotted Sea Hare (other sea hares may eat it, but I have 2 and they love to much on it and other macros)
Emerald Crabs
Eibli Angel
Atlantic Blue Tang
Ocean Surgeonfish

These are all confirmed in my tank to eat it. I have all of them and all eat it. Luckily, they eat other macros, so it can still grow out.

Due to your tank size, I would go sea hare and return it when it eats it all (it may come back, so you will still need something to mow it down). I would also add a mexican turbo. Once it is down to nothing, the single mexican turbo, should keep it in check if not finish it off.

If a sea hare cannot be had or you do not want to deal with returning it, then manual removal is best. You will still need a mexican turbo. Outside of mexican turbos being sort of bulldozers, they are a great addition to a clean up crew.

For manaul removal, you will need to remove the algae and its holdfast. Best way to remove the holdfast is to use a small dental pick set. (5 bucks on amazon). This will allow you to get the "roots".
Thanks! my LFS has a blue spotted sea hare that they got in yesterday so if they haven't sold it yet I might try it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not exactly like that. It grows in spongy clumps, mats. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone. LFS sold me some chaeto and said the small bits of red in it were dragons breath. LOL nope :(
Get some pics in the water with more white than blue light and I should be able to ID for ya. As well as tell you what will eat it, or how to deal with it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back