Will different Zoanthids share Zooxanthellae?

BeardPoseidon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Maui Wowie Zoanthids are touching my Everlasting Gobstopper Zoanthids, the Maui’s are blue/greenish and the Gobstopper are pink.

I noticed that the newest Maui Polyp has hints of pink, it looks a lot more pink in person, but if you look at the picture, you can see there’s quite a difference from the rest. When it was growing it looked just like the rest, this happened recently.

I’m wondering if this was influenced by the Gobstoppers.

Can Zoanthids “infect” or pass on their Zooxanthellae on other colonies?

0AD976BB-15B2-40EE-9720-E83F1DD5CEB7.jpeg 41B4E306-FDBC-40CF-8542-40BC2A7513AA.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most reef-building corals including zoa contain photosynthetic algae, called zooxanthellae, that live in their tissues. The corals and algae have a mutualistic relationship. The coral provides the algae with a protected environment and compounds they need for photosynthesis. In return, the algae produce oxygen and help the coral to remove wastes.
Zoas receive the vast majority of their nutrition through the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae contained within the coral. They receive other nutrients from dissolved minerals that they filter from the water currents. They will also benefit from the addition of reef supplements containing calcium, magnesium, iodine and trace elements.
Do they share- better said is that they utilize the resources contained within the tank.
One thing to note is that somehow Zoas need the Iodide / Iodine in the water to process the energy their zooxanthellae make in their polyps. WHEN THERE IS A LOT OF LIGHT... without enough Iodide it's almost like the zooxanthellae are over producing energy for the Zoa... therefore the zoa polyp squints or closes to limit the light getting to the zooxanthellae.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I believe your question can also be stated as "Can zoas bleed colors into one another?". If that's the question, then the answer is no. Maui Wowie/ Hawaiian Ding Dangs/ Hawaiian Nebulas/Yeti (these are all different names for the same zoa) are known to morph to include pink under higher light situations, many zoas morph when exposed to different lighting conditions and water parameters. Congrats on the morph! Its always exciting when you notice it happening :) Heres a pic of my Ding Dangs that morphed, they started out plain green/grey
1611098040961.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back