• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this thing will hold water, after I put bulkheads on? Im gonna get bulkheads Thursday and put them on and fill em up? Go ahead and place your bets lol

Yes it’s a hack job I had to stab the side of the silicone tube to get the rest out it was sealed top and bottom and I used a butter knife to ‘seal’ the crack lol! Back story is that we drilled one hole (before they started making these tempered bottoms) and that went perfect. (Not our first time drilling). I then went for the second hole and being excited and nervous, when it popped the glads hole out the drill went down and smacked the glass. Anyhow, do you think itll hold water? Lol I think so.
0452AD40-43B6-4871-807F-72FAC735D8B6.jpeg
36CB9540-BE26-4F20-8DC3-13D1326CAC7C.jpeg

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened in my sump. I was installing hardware above it to hang light and dropped something metal I can’t remember, multiple times and got multiple cracks on the bottom. Smeared silicone everywhere kind of like you and I’ve had zero issues so far in 2+ months

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go with no in the longterm. The key to silicon/glass joint is the silicone between the joint not slathered all over the joint :)

Also have the consideration that your bulkhead is going to be pulling down at what is now the weakest portion of the tank(where the crack meets. Probably cheaper for a new tank that size, but a fix i think would work would be to remove all that silicone, cut out the bottom seem, and then silicon a new sheet of glass in across the bottom. I have done that on a 75g before and it worked fine(just made it stupid heavy).

Again though unless you have a cheap source for glass probably not worthwhile.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.... I agree it's just a bad idea to put water in that thing. It may not leak immediately, but once you put water in there, the silicone joint is going to be holding that water weight... Until it can't anymore.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this thing will hold water, after I put bulkheads on? Im gonna get bulkheads Thursday and put them on and fill em up? Go ahead and place your bets lol

Yes it’s a hack job I had to stab the side of the silicone tube to get the rest out it was sealed top and bottom and I used a butter knife to ‘seal’ the crack lol! Back story is that we drilled one hole (before they started making these tempered bottoms) and that went perfect. (Not our first time drilling). I then went for the second hole and being excited and nervous, when it popped the glads hole out the drill went down and smacked the glass. Anyhow, do you think itll hold water? Lol I think so.
@fishguy242

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would silicone in a new bottom piece of glass over the old one. Butttttttt did you also remove part of the rim on the tank????

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with glass it that it likes the splinter. Even though it's just one large crack now it could spider web at any time.
Same thing happened in my sump. I was installing hardware above it to hang light and dropped something metal I can’t remember, multiple times and got multiple cracks on the bottom. Smeared silicone everywhere kind of like you and I’ve had zero issues so far in 2+ months
If that’s the bottom panel, absolutely NOT in my house!
It's not just the seal, it's structurally compromised. Put some weight on it and....
I am going to go with no in the longterm. The key to silicon/glass joint is the silicone between the joint not slathered all over the joint :)

Also have the consideration that your bulkhead is going to be pulling down at what is now the weakest portion of the tank(where the crack meets. Probably cheaper for a new tank that size, but a fix i think would work would be to remove all that silicone, cut out the bottom seem, and then silicon a new sheet of glass in across the bottom. I have done that on a 75g before and it worked fine(just made it stupid heavy).

Again though unless you have a cheap source for glass probably not worthwhile.
Very innovative @mdb_talon ...
My vote on this one holding water long term...
Katy Perry Reaction GIF by Idols Global
It would be incredibly stupid to put water in that thing. I mean, a simple glass tank like that costs next to nothing, especially compared with the amount of damage and loss of livestock a failure could cause.
No.... I agree it's just a bad idea to put water in that thing. It may not leak immediately, but once you put water in there, the silicone joint is going to be holding that water weight... Until it can't anymore.
I would silicone in a new bottom piece of glass over the old one. Butttttttt did you also remove part of the rim on the tank????
Trust me
578C77AE-4822-47E9-B484-B0366EDD6628.png

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on that picture I'm wanting to know if the pigs drink out of it before it loses water

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS here has a 180g display with a crack on one short panel from top to bottom. They put another piece of glass over it and siliconed it on and it has been holding for a long time.

I would at least put another panel of glass over the cracked parts but dang that is a large crack lol

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back