Will Microbacter clean kill my coraline algae in a bottle?

AtticusPutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started my new reef tank, after seeding it I was planning on dosing Coraline algae in a bottle as well as microbacter clean. If I add them at the same time will they work in conjunction together?

OP
OP
AtticusPutt

AtticusPutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use any of that bottled stuff man. Just wait. You don’t need to “dose” anything. Let your reef develop naturally or you will be a slave to bottle treatments forever. My .02. Best of luck.
Ok man, thanks for the advice. I can definitely see the validity in that, Its just my first tank and I want it so bad. But I will lay off on the bottle treatments, thanks

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I get it. It’s hard to wait. Focus on growing a couple easy corals after cycle and getting you maintenance routine down. That will pay dividends. Get a ricordia mushroom and some GSP on its own little rock. Watch it grow. Get an awesome goby and enjoy that stuff for a while. Then in a few weeks get another fish. Then another coral. Before you know it you will be in business.
9AB7525C-64F1-4967-BABB-B7851AC27798.jpeg

no bottles required.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Tiki Reef Joshua , you can seed the tank with coralline algae spores, but they still won't grow until you have nice stable water params. Take your time and concentrate on stability, you'll have coralline algae growth before you know it.

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is five months old but I wanted to contribute. I assume I will have to add coraline algae somehow, as my rock was cured from a dry state. So I don’t always agree with just let it mature comments. I also don’t want to spend $22 on a bottle of algae so will likely wait until I find a local friend. Or maybe a snail or frag will contain some, but they will be in a 72 day QT before they enter the display tanks.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is five months old but I wanted to contribute. I assume I will have to add coraline algae somehow, as my rock was cured from a dry state. So I don’t always agree with just let it mature comments. I also don’t want to spend $22 on a bottle of algae so will likely wait until I find a local friend. Or maybe a snail or frag will contain some, but they will be in a 72 day QT before they enter the display tanks.

I fixed this issue by asking my LFS to scrape some chunks of Coraline out of their frag tanks for me to take home. I took those chunks and glued them to my rocks. This occurred after my tank's params were stable. It still took time and patience to spread, but it worked great!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back