Will SPS be okay in these params?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh so it has a delayed reaction I did not actually know that. Hmm. What is your best recommendation for stabilizing nitrate. Do you recommend running filter socks or none at all?
I use a roller mat, plus carbon dosing and skimming - but I feed a lot of hungry fish a lot of food, so that they can provide waste products to feed the coral.

It's a tricky balance in any tank, whatever works for you that you can keep stable is the goal.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting high NO3 and now just getting it to 20-30 down from 50+
My LPS and softies have enjoyed the NO3 and only now I've dropped them am I having issues with LPS/Softies
My Goni loved higher NO3 while I have a finger leather that has never popped for me and looks to like it around 30.

I get the feeling if I got to 5-10 most of my current coral would say a big FU.
I will continue to chase the NO3 and see how low I can get. No SPS until I get to 10-15
My no3 is +30 right now and my acros look as good as ever and way better than 90% of the pics on this site. Chasing 15 from 30 will kill acros and upset other corals. Leaving them at 30 will not.

I see “keep it stable” on this forum multiple times a day but no one seems to really know what it means. It means keep your system stable……not no3/po4. Adding this or that chemical/media to see some number you want is the opposite of keeping the system stable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep in mind that what your coral is doing today is reflecting what went wrong a month ago.
Stability is the key and if your tank is swinging like that nothing will be happy.

Get the NO3 stable at 10ppm, and after a month or two at that level the coral will stabilize too.
Oooooh so it has a delayed reaction I did not actually know that. Hmm. What is your best recommendation for stabilizing nitrate. Do you recommend running filter socks or none at all
You checked it on your tank? Or you watched him par map on his tank?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting high NO3 and now just getting it to 20-30 down from 50+
My LPS and softies have enjoyed the NO3 and only now I've dropped them am I having issues with LPS/Softies
My Goni loved higher NO3 while I have a finger leather that has never popped for me and looks to like it around 30.

I get the feeling if I got to 5-10 most of my current coral would say a big FU.
I will continue to chase the NO3 and see how low I can get. No SPS until I get to 10-15
That's really interesting and good to know. So many different opinions on what works and what doesn't on this site hahah

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a roller mat, plus carbon dosing and skimming - but I feed a lot of hungry fish a lot of food, so that they can provide waste products to feed the coral.

It's a tricky balance in any tank, whatever works for you that you can keep stable is the goal.
That's makes sense. But my guess is you have a lot of coral and if you have a lot of coral that also helps keep a lot of your nutrients balanced.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My no3 is +30 right now and my acros look as good as ever and way better than 90% of the pics on this site. Chasing 15 from 30 will kill acros and upset other corals. Leaving them at 30 will not.

I see “keep it stable” on this forum multiple times a day but no one seems to really know what it means. It means keep your system stable……not no3/po4. Adding this or that chemical/media to see some number you want is the opposite of keeping the system stable.
That's an extremely valid point. It's certainly true that everyone mentions stability but everyone also mentions stable but at a certain level or number of no3/po4. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it would be extremely difficult to make things stable for those without testing everyday

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do a big water change. Do you have any other ideas of a good option for bringing it down?
Whats your filtration do you use a sump if so you should be using filter socks to help pull any uneaten food and fish waste. I would suggest cleaning them every other day to make sure you don't have build up of nutrients decomposing in them. I would suggest also doing a 25 percent water change once a week for 2 weeks straight and then one more 25 percent water change two weeks after the second week. Then a 25 percent water change once a month after that to help keep nutrients out. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure you got the right size skimmer for you tank.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your filtration do you use a sump if so you should be using filter socks to help pull any uneaten food and fish waste. I would suggest cleaning them every other day to make sure you don't have build up of nutrients decomposing in them. I would suggest also doing a 25 percent water change once a week for 2 weeks straight and then one more 25 percent water change two weeks after the second week. Then a 25 percent water change once a month after that to help keep nutrients out. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure you got the right size skimmer for you tank.
Hey man thanks for your response!

Yes I have a 4'x2' sump. I use filter socks. One drain goes into the filter sock and I let it fill up then swap to a new one but it sounds like I should change it sooner by your suggestion? Also I have the other drain going directly into a "refugium" (which just consists of my live rock since the main tank is a coral flat with racks). See attached picture of tank btw. But do you suggest both drains go into a filter sock?

My skimmer is eshopps x-160 axium skimmer.

Yes I am going back to my weekly water changed for sure!

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I have a 4'x2' sump. I use filter socks. One drain goes into the filter sock and I let it fill up then swap to a new one but it sounds like I should change it sooner by your suggestion? Also I have the other drain going directly into a "refugium" (which just consists of my live rock since the main tank is a coral flat with racks). See attached picture of tank btw. But do you suggest both drains go into a filter sock?

I would just up the amount of times you clean the filter sock and do you have copepods in your refugium i would also suggest that and i would also suggest to throw some cheato algae in your refugium. but you would need a light set up for it to grow and woukd have to rotate it about once a week because it would probably not be able to rotate with the rock in your sump

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not do a water change every week all the time but in case of emergency like this. I would say it worked for me to get my nitrates down in the past to do it 2 weeks in a row and then two weeks later one more time and then once a month again

94Rudolph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry what does this do for a reef tank?

Also I did a quick google and it sounds like I probably can't get it in Canada anyways unfortunately
I met a parasite which is smaller than red bug in the root of the coral in China, which can cause STN. Look carefully with a bright flashlight,You'll see a lot of bugs moving fast,Do you have this in your pet store?

Attachments

• D81F0AB0-16FB-4A4A-9669-8D33FC4674BA.png
    D81F0AB0-16FB-4A4A-9669-8D33FC4674BA.png
    386.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just up the amount of times you clean the filter sock and do you have copepods in your refugium i would also suggest that and i would also suggest to throw some cheato algae in your refugium. but you would need a light set up for it to grow and woukd have to rotate it about once a week because it would probably not be able to rotate with the rock in your sump
I have copepods everywhere and I have an algae scrubber instead of chaeto

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back