OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be worth asking or checking if they sell for less during the group buy through R2R here. Or if they go on sale for black friday. Last weekend everything on BRS website was 10% off, it's possible they discount those as well. Never looked into it so I don't have a definitive answer for you.
And you're correct about the pricing, they don't go on sale but there may be deals to be had as mentioned above. Good luck I hope you do find one for less.

I wrote and asked if the Neptune Apex was included in the 10% off sale last weekend being that it was a "Site Wide" sale and I was told:

Tyler (BulkReefSupply)

Apr 22, 09:41 CDT

Hey there,
Thanks for getting in touch with us in regards to this sale. This sale excludes some companies that have asked us not to discount their items anymore then we have them. One of those companies is Neptune who makes the Apex. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can assist with. Thanks!
I am out of the office Tuesday - Thursday, for urgent issues on
these days, please call customer service at (763) 432 9691.

M C

Apr 22, 07:23 CDT

Please advise?

If the 10% off is site wide, why is the Apex Controller still full price?
I would like to order one.

As you can see I tried to no avail.

Waiting 7 months for a sale that mayor may not happen is unacceptable.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had that exact same problem. Three items I was looking to purchase were not on sale during their 10% off. [Apex, Kessil, Reef Octopus]. I am hoping for memorial day they might have some sales, I have a big build coming this summer.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had that exact same problem. Three items I was looking to purchase were not on sale during their 10% off. [Apex, Kessil, Reef Octopus]. I am hoping for memorial day they might have some sales, I have a big build coming this summer.

I am wondering if filing an Anti-Trust complaint to the U.S. Attorney's office will go anywhere?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was informed by BRS, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics that Neptune tells them when and how much these retailers are allowed to sell their products for and that sales are strictly controlled by the manufacturer.

This sounds very much like price fixing which is illegal.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third Wednesday of each month BRS offers double reward points to Preferred Reefer Members.
That offer applies to all purchased items.

Agreed, but that is not the same as a sale/discount it is after a purchase.

You (I) must pay full retail as specified by Neptune which is price fixing.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the 2016 APEX head unit is$50.00 off the regular price and is selling by itself stand alone
the Classic version is a excellent product and isn’t going anywhere from what I understand for a long time.
Buy that save up your money buy your additional probe that you want with module and then go with the 2016 head unit later
It will still be cheaper in the long run

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the 2016 APEX head unit is$50.00 off the regular price and is selling by itself stand alone
the Classic version is a excellent product and isn’t going anywhere from what I understand for a long time.
Buy that save up your money buy your additional probe that you want with module and then go with the 2016 head unit later

As I said above I am not interested in the "Classic", my issue is that it appears the Neptune is price fixing and I have looked into purchasing all of the componits seperatly and there is no real difference in price so therefor no savings.

Saving up money is not the issue, price fixing is illegal and MAP pricing is borderline illegal.

Maybe a well written complaint to the U.S. Attorney's office is necessary.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Tiger-Paws
First, thank you for your service. 7 conflicts is a huge accomplishment, thank you and I'm glad you're still here with us. Sorry to hear about your friends. RIP to them all.

As for the Apex, I feel the same. I would like to buy one, however the fact that we can't even find a 10% off sale bothers me for some reason. I would be interested in a group buy if it saves us some money. Paying $800 for the current system with never aq chance at discount is a little crazy. Even the Kessils do discount once a year.

Anyway, Group Buy....I'm in!
Fred

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Tiger-Paws
First, thank you for your service. 7 conflicts is a huge accomplishment, thank you and I'm glad you're still here with us. Sorry to hear about your friends. RIP to them all.

As for the Apex, I feel the same. I would like to buy one, however the fact that we can't even find a 10% off sale bothers me for some reason. I would be interested in a group buy if it saves us some money. Paying $800 for the current system with never aq chance at discount is a little crazy. Even the Kessils do discount once a year.

Anyway, Group Buy....I'm in!
Fred

Maybe I am just getting older and I do not like being taken advantage of, Neptune (or any other manufacturer) cannot set a fixed price it is illegal. Retailers cannot get together and agree to set a fixed price and if someone wants to take a loss or sell for less that is their right.

Neptune (and other manufacturers) sell to the retailer at a price which they need to make a profit, after that it is up to the retailer to sell the product/service for whatever they need to make a profit. If the retailer is willing to live with a lower profit margin, no margin or even at a loss that is their business.

But to be told by a retailer, any retailer that they are not allowed to sell for less is noncompetitive and a violation of antitrust laws.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, and it may be that this is already a discounted price.

I am also in the watch hobby, and one of the brands I have, it is super hard to get a discount. Of course the demand is there, so I paid. twice haha.

I am still interested in a group buy if anyone gets that going!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, and it may be that this is already a discounted price.

I am also in the watch hobby, and one of the brands I have, it is super hard to get a discount. Of course the demand is there, so I paid. twice haha.

I am still interested in a group buy if anyone gets that going!

Actually the $799.99 for the Apex is MSRP which they seem to be somehow enforcing on retailers.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAP prices aren't necessarily illegal. https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...ws/dealings-supply-chain/manufacturer-imposed

"If a manufacturer, on its own, adopts a policy regarding a desired level of prices, the law allows the manufacturer to deal only with retailers who agree to that policy."

"Limitations on how or where a dealer may sell a product (that is, customer or territory restrictions) are generally legal — if they are imposed by a manufacturer acting on its own."

If you don't like their business model, don't give then business?

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only sales on Neptune products I've seen are the price cuts that comes from Neptune itself. Either pay the Neptune price or you don't get one. The 2016 head unit is on "sale" for April. You have 3 days left...

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said above I am not interested in the "Classic", my issue is that it appears the Neptune is price fixing and I have looked into purchasing all of the componits seperatly and there is no real difference in price so therefor no savings.

Saving up money is not the issue, price fixing is illegal and MAP pricing is borderline illegal.

Maybe a well written complaint to the U.S. Attorney's office is necessary.
If you really think it’s illegal you don’t think all the members on this site would have reported it already?
You don’t think these companies selling the product wouldn’t have questioned the very same thing?
This has been going on for years

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really think it’s illegal you don’t think all the members on this site would have reported it already?
You don’t think these companies selling the product wouldn’t have questioned the very same thing?
This has been going on for years

Just because it has been going on for years does not make it legal.

I just got off of the telephone with the local U.S. Attorny's office and I have made an appoitment in order to file a complaint in person.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun and maybe your right, I’m not saying your right to wrong I have no clue
All I know is what I said. I would imagine that the number of people on this site would have already investigated this already at least several times in the past four years

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly in 2007 the supreme court ruled this type of marketing, Vertical Price Restraints, must be judged under the rule of reason.
Meaning it is only illegal if the purpose is to unreasonably interrupt trade. Focusing on the overall economic effect over any social consequences; and the reasoning for the VPR agreement implementation.

Ie if corporate Profit driving was reason; and no overall negative economic effect in the particular market it is legal.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun and maybe your right, I’m not saying your right to wrong I have no clue
All I know is what I said. I would imagine that the number of people on this site would have already investigated this already at least several times in the past four years
Just because something has been done for a very long time does not mean that it is right. Things change because people question that is being done, laws change, court rulings change and make law.

Unless people question the status quo how do you or I know what is right and what is wrong. Never assume that because something has never been questioned that you or I cannot question it.

When a person fails to exercise their right to question the status quo then nothing changes, tyranny comes from not fighting for what a person believes is right and just.

Last edited by a moderator:

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Apex for 6 years and can't imagine a tank without it, I agree not fond of the idea of no sales or fixed price. But something to consider, You have waited 7 months for a 10% sale to save $80, in that 7 months you might have had equipment failure, like heater quits, or ATO malfunctions which an Apex would prevent crash or major damage. Protection is key to success.. the heater will fail eventually. Even if money is a major concern the 10% might not be worth the wait.. if it every happens.

Speaking of protection.. thanks for your service

Plus buy all replacement probes in time when on sale from a another manufacture, then you got 10% and not giving it to Apex.

I hope there is a sale this memorial weekend b/c you deserve it for many years of services and your dedication to a discount

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back