Will this be a nitrate factory?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my 24 gallon AIO, one of the chambers had this sponge block that fit the chamber perfectly. My LFS (where I bought it) said "Don't use that block. It will just become a nitrate factory."

Well, the tank is about 4 1/2 months old now, and that chamber just sat empty for the longest time. My water was never quite as clear as I would like it once the fish and algae began growing.

I came across some sponge cylinders I was expecting to use in the event that I would set up a QT or hospital tank. Turns out, two of these cylinders fit perfectly in that chamber side by side. They are pulling a boatload of crap out of the water column. I've been swapping them out at least weekly with a fresh or freshly rinsed other pair of identical sponge cylinders and my water is much cleaner these days.

My question is will these sponge cylinders become "nitrate factories" if I am swapping them out often and they are thoroughly rinsed and dried between uses?

I also use filter floss (in the next chamber) which is replaced with new at least weekly. Not recycling that stuff.

20210711_144707.jpg

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval 32.5 has 2 of these chambers with tight fitting foam. As far as I can determine they clean the detritus quite well as my water stays crystal clear.
They haven’t been “nitrate factories” for me as I have to over feed some just to keep my nitrates at 5 ppm.

Attachments

• FE56A79C-F2F0-4B2B-A43E-063E85E57F8A.jpeg
    FE56A79C-F2F0-4B2B-A43E-063E85E57F8A.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 36

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an aquaclear sponge on a big frag tank for a long time. Ended up with tons of micro serpent Seastar living in it. Don't know if it was a nitrate factory but sure seemed like a home to alot of aquatic life.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Clean them and you’ll be fine. I have a fluval 32 AIO and use it in one side. I only rinse it once a month since my nitrates stick between 2 and 4 so I like having it to be a small nitrate factory. If you have lots of nitrate issues with it not coming down at all over a long time maybe try something different. But they’re not inherently bad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should not be. Add a small pouch of chemipure blue to the sump. Will help with purification

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my 24 gallon AIO, one of the chambers had this sponge block that fit the chamber perfectly. My LFS (where I bought it) said "Don't use that block. It will just become a nitrate factory."

Well, the tank is about 4 1/2 months old now, and that chamber just sat empty for the longest time. My water was never quite as clear as I would like it once the fish and algae began growing.

I came across some sponge cylinders I was expecting to use in the event that I would set up a QT or hospital tank. Turns out, two of these cylinders fit perfectly in that chamber side by side. They are pulling a boatload of crap out of the water column. I've been swapping them out at least weekly with a fresh or freshly rinsed other pair of identical sponge cylinders and my water is much cleaner these days.

My question is will these sponge cylinders become "nitrate factories" if I am swapping them out often and they are thoroughly rinsed and dried between uses?

I also use filter floss (in the next chamber) which is replaced with new at least weekly. Not recycling that stuff.

20210711_144707.jpg
Did you tell the LFS that some actually DOSE nitrates in their reef tank.

What the other said above, pull and rinse if needed.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back