William Wallace's 55g with minimum equipment.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've been running a 55g with minimum equipment for almost 2 years now. I recently had a GHA outbreak which took 90% of my livestock. I have cleaned and reset my reef and am looking for success this time around. Current stock, 1 decent size Haddoni. Various SPS, LPS and sofites. 1 Derasa Clam. 2 Clarkii. 2 flame hawkish. 1 six line wrasse. 2 emerald crabs, arrow crab. 20+ hermit crabs and 30+ snails. Equipment, Cascade 300 filter. Coralife skimmer, 80g+ I believe? ( I forget, got this 2 years ago). Maxspect Razor X R5 200w lighting. Icecap 1k gyre flow and 600 gph powerhead.

Looking for any advice on how to run a tank like this with minimum equipment. Not looking to spend too much on upgrades atm.

All thoughts, advice, and questions welcome!

20190408_211958.jpg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater? ATO?

Even with minimal equipment I would run an ATO. Just such an easy way to keep one major parameter, salinity, stable.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater? ATO?

Even with minimal equipment I would run an ATO. Just such an easy way to keep one major parameter, salinity, stable.
So this is something I do not use. I keep salinity "stable" by feel. I know this sounds nuts but I keep at 1.026 very well from testing before and after water changes. Heating, I use a regular over the counter heater. I forget what it's called, but it regulates at 78 degrees.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is something I do not use. I keep salinity "stable" by feel. I know this sounds nuts but I keep at 1.026 very well from testing before and after water changes. Heating, I use a regular over the counter heater. I forget what it's called, but it regulates at 78 degrees.

Right. I get that. You can certainly top off yourself and many do. To me, salinity is one of those everyday things. If I go away for more than two days, I am fine skipping feedings, glass cleanings, I can leave the cup off the skimmer, etc., but the tank must be topped off. Depending upon the sensitivity of your livestock of course.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've been running a 55g with minimum equipment for almost 2 years now. I recently had a GHA outbreak which took 90% of my livestock. I have cleaned and reset my reef and am looking for success this time around. Current stock, 1 decent size Haddoni. A group of green mushroom coral. 7 heads of Duncan coral. 1 Clarkii. 2 flame hawkish. 1 six line wrasse. 1 sailfin blenny. Coral banded shrimp lg. Japanese snapping shrimp lg. 2 emerald crabs. 20+ hermit crabs and a handful of snail ( looking to add more soon ). Equipment, Cascade 300 filter. Coralife skimmer, 80g+ I believe? ( I forget, got this 2 years ago). Current Orbit Pro 48" LED. Solormax T5 HO ( red/white bulbs, replacing red with ATI coral plus soon. ) Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 circulation.

Looking for any advice on how to run a tank like this with minimum equipment. Not looking to spend too much on upgrades atm.

I carbon dose with vodka and do roughly 15-20% water change a week depending on parameters.
All thoughts, advice, and questions welcome!!

Thanks!!!!!
I think what you do with water changes on a weekly basis would be enough to run the tank.
Nutrients as nitrates and phosphates depend a lot of your feeding behaviour, but a weekly 15% waterchange should be enough to maintain the tank.
I am even not sure about the need for carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you do with water changes on a weekly basis would be enough to run the tank.
Nutrients as nitrates and phosphates depend a lot of your feeding behaviour, but a weekly 15% waterchange should be enough to maintain the tank.
I am even not sure about the need for carbon dosing.
I do like to feed everyday which can be demanding on my nutrients. Right now I'm feeding a lot because I have a pair of flame hawks that have a huge appetite. I'd rather carbon dose and regulate more WC than have hungry hawks with missing crustaceans o_O

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So GHA is back
Ugh this stuff is relentless.
I started doing hydrogen peroxide. 1ml/10g. I'm on day 3. Will give updates as the progress continues.
I also think the carbon dosing has dropped nutes so low that dinos are forming, either that or diatom, even saw some green cyanobacteria forming. Peroxide has killed the cyanobacteria so far.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I'm taking all rock that isn't habitat ( anemone rock, snapping shrimp lair ) and scrubbing all hair algae off AGAIN! This time I'm using peroxide in the mix to kill off any remaining base to the GHA. I'm getting all GHA off I can see and really going to try to control nutes.
Maybe I can get it under control this time and keep it that way.
Plus I get a new aquascape ;)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I'm taking all rock that isn't habitat ( anemone rock, snapping shrimp lair ) and scrubbing all hair algae off AGAIN! This time I'm using peroxide in the mix to kill off any remaining base to the GHA. I'm getting all GHA off I can see and really going to try to control nutes.
Maybe I can get it under control this time and keep it that way.
Plus I get a new aquascape ;)

A hard job, but it will pay off.
How long have the GHA been there?

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hard job, but it will pay off.
How long have the GHA been there?
About a year since the first blossom.
The tank looks amazing now and the aquascape is sick, fish are loving it. I couldn't get a rock my carpet was attach to and I didn't want to disturb the lair of my snapping shrimp so o ly 2 rocks were not taken and scrubbed theoughly with peroxide. I feel like I can keep it under control enough for that to die off. I ordered some Vibrant as well today. Any thoughts/ suggestions on how to keep it this way? I'll post pics tmrw when lights are on

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year since the first blossom.
The tank looks amazing now and the aquascape is sick, fish are loving it. I couldn't get a rock my carpet was attach to and I didn't want to disturb the lair of my snapping shrimp so o ly 2 rocks were not taken and scrubbed theoughly with peroxide. I feel like I can keep it under control enough for that to die off. I ordered some Vibrant as well today. Any thoughts/ suggestions on how to keep it this way? I'll post pics tmrw when lights are on

A good way to remove algae is snails.
I believe Banded Trochus and Astrias are a good start.
If you do not overfeed, you force them to eat the algae and reduce nutrients.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good way to remove algae is snails.
I believe Banded Trochus and Astrias are a good start.
If you do not overfeed, you force them to eat the algae and reduce nutrients.

Good luck.
I just bought about 20 margarita snails, 10 ceriths and a monster zebra turbo. Now that 90% of the algae is clean and gone I'm hoping these guys can take care of the rest. I'm also planning on feeding wafers when all algae is gone for my blenny and snails

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my new Icecap 1k today. Loving the alternating flow.
Using Vibrant to get all of my algae under control. Flow seems to be helping. Haddoni still doing great and mushrooms are splitting. Got some green star polyps and hawkfish are loving them. Hopefully this Vibrant will clear everything up in the next week or two.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back