Will's 100 Gallon Reef Tank

I finally put together my auto water changer. It is cheap, simple, and accurate. I started by finding a digital timer that can go down to a second. It has two outputs that can be programmed separately and up to 9 times a day. There is also a battery backup in it that lasts for days. You can pick one up at Amazon for under $30.

Next I found two identical submersible pumps and connected 3/8" PEX tubing. 1/4" tubing took too long and larger tubing required a larger hole in the wall than I wanted. At the high point of each line I included a tee and duck bill one way valve to break the syphon. This seams to work very well at low pressure and is all plastic, which will stay maintenance free for a long time. The waste line runs through a hole in the garage wall and into the yard drain. I used graduated 5 gallon buckets to calibrate the pumps.

The saltwater is kept in a 55 gallon barrel in the garage, which is located behind the wall the tank is against. I have the pumps set to replace 1 gallon every day, which takes about 1.5 minutes. My reasoning is that this is as good or better than me changing 15 gallons every 2-3 weeks. More importantly this creates consistency in the level of water quality. This is similar to how a calcium doser works apposed to hand dosing once a week.

I check the tank and barrel levels every day to make sure everything is running correctly. I hope to add a ReefPi to monitor the voltage and shut down the system if one pump stops working. Otherwise I will either add or remove too much water every day until I catch the failure.

The entire system cost about $80. That is far less than the $400 systems I see for sale and arguably more reliable.
 

Attachments

  • 20231206_205416.jpg
    20231206_205416.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20231206_205425.jpg
    20231206_205425.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20231206_205438.jpg
    20231206_205438.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231206_205509.jpg
    20231206_205509.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20231206_205706.jpg
    20231206_205706.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 83
I finally put together my auto water changer. It is cheap, simple, and accurate. I started by finding a digital timer that can go down to a second. It has two outputs that can be programmed separately and up to 9 times a day. There is also a battery backup in it that lasts for days. You can pick one up at Amazon for under $30.

Next I found two identical submersible pumps and connected 3/8" PEX tubing. 1/4" tubing took too long and larger tubing required a larger hole in the wall than I wanted. At the high point of each line I included a tee and duck bill one way valve to break the syphon. This seams to work very well at low pressure and is all plastic, which will stay maintenance free for a long time. The waste line runs through a hole in the garage wall and into the yard drain. I used graduated 5 gallon buckets to calibrate the pumps.

The saltwater is kept in a 55 gallon barrel in the garage, which is located behind the wall the tank is against. I have the pumps set to replace 1 gallon every day, which takes about 1.5 minutes. My reasoning is that this is as good or better than me changing 15 gallons every 2-3 weeks. More importantly this creates consistency in the level of water quality. This is similar to how a calcium doser works apposed to hand dosing once a week.

I check the tank and barrel levels every day to make sure everything is running correctly. I hope to add a ReefPi to monitor the voltage and shut down the system if one pump stops working. Otherwise I will either add or remove too much water every day until I catch the failure.

The entire system cost about $80. That is far less than the $400 systems I see for sale and arguably more reliable.
Auto water changes looks very nice!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new