Windows open and ph!

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve heard a lot of talk of oxygenating water and this effect on ph. My ph has held steady of 7.8 for 4 months straight. Yesterday was a beautiful day here in southern. Ontario 80 degrees. So we opened the house windows and my basement windows where my tank are. Skimmer runs of course and the pumps agitating the surface. Well long story short checked my ph this morning 8.1. The highest it’s ever been. My house is a newer home. Very sealed. So wow everyone was right. Eventually I may plum the skimmer intake outside.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Ive wanted to do this for a bit. Short of leaving the window open and getting robbed, or drilling a hole through the exterior brick, I dont see how its possible. Any reccomendations?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the skimmer air line out would only require you to open the window a small bit so robbers can't squeeze in.

Some run it to the attic, where co2 is less, and you can crack attic windows more safely

Or get a co2 scrubber.

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a house built in 1970, same issue. I suspect if you don't have an active air exchange, CO2 builds up. I would have run an airline outside, but the brick facade makes that hard, so we installed a CO2 scrubber. The attic suggestion is great, never thought of that, much easier than drilling through brick.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Ive wanted to do this for a bit. Short of leaving the window open and getting robbed, or drilling a hole through the exterior brick, I dont see how its possible. Any reccomendations?

Co2 scrubber. In my experience it did not work well and on large skimmer the media got expensive, but it does work. Have read about people using scrubbers and recirculating the air from skimmer and said it works even better and media lasts a lot longer thay may be option to look into.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine outside and it does a great job of keeping pH high. I tried to get my wife and kids just to live in tents in the yard but they didn't like the idea, so drilling a hole in my wall was my only option.

Also, drilling a hole in a block wall isn't hard at all with the proper bit and drill.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the line through yoir furnace air ducts to where it pulls outsidr air from.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the line through yoir furnace air ducts to where it pulls outsidr air from.

If it is a more modern high efficiency furnace that is not going to be an option (air is drawn from outside directly into sealed furnace), but if it is a conventional furnace that may work.

reddog29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a more modern high efficiency furnace that is not going to be an option (air is drawn from outside directly into sealed furnace), but if it is a conventional furnace that may work.
I do think you have got that backwards. A high efficiency 90+ % furnace draws air from outside, drill a hole in the intake (pvc) as close to the outside wall as possible. Make sure it is a two pipe system. And seal the hole silicone or thumb gum. This will work. A conventional or 80% will not work, flue gas can and will get over 400 degrees with possible high co2. I am a journeyman HVAC technician with 25 years experience. In Omaha Ne.

reddog29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction CO carbon monoxide, not CO2. But of course co2 is also a part of combustion, just not deadly. Unless you ask A.O.C.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think you have got that backwards. A high efficiency 90+ % furnace draws air from outside, drill a hole in the intake (pvc) as close to the outside wall as possible. Make sure it is a two pipe system. And seal the hole silicone or thumb gum. This will work. A conventional or 80% will not work, flue gas can and will get over 400 degrees with possible high co2. I am a journeyman HVAC technician with 25 years experience. In Omaha Ne.
No i had it right. A traditional furnace normally receives fresh air passively (ie a hole in the wall close to the furnace). In that scenario you can theoretically piggyback on that through the wall pipe. Modern high efficiency furnaces have an air vent that is plumbed directly to the furnace. In that scenario you cant piggyback off of that as the intake is direct from the outside to the furnace and not always accessible. Even of it were accessible it is not something you would want to tap into.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't do that to code.

reddog29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your talking about combustion air. Called or referred to as high low combustion. Ok that would work if it’s piped into the attic or outside And as far as code, codes vary across the country. I have drilled out side air sensors in intakes when there is no path to the outside.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close is that furnace line to your aquarium? If your aquarium is closer to an exterior wall is is extremely easy to drill through the block or brick wall. I used 1/2” pex pipe and connected my skimmer line via a barbed elbow. It resulted in a ~1 point increase in my ph.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back