MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting ready to set up an IM 25 lagoon and am mulling over a few ideas for the stand. Is there anyone here who has used a wine barrel as a stand before? just curious to see if it has been done and if so how. I'm also wondering on how to protect the wood from the saltwater, like a special wax finish or something along those lines. Anywho, here's hoping for some advice, thanks!

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting ready to set up an IM 25 lagoon and am mulling over a few ideas for the stand. Is there anyone here who has used a wine barrel as a stand before? just curious to see if it has been done and if so how. I'm also wondering on how to protect the wood from the saltwater, like a special wax finish or something along those lines. Anywho, here's hoping for some advice, thanks!
I doubt the oak will need protection from salt water. The barrel was once full of acidic wine.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would look nice. I don't know how much weight they can bare, but hopefully someone else can chime in.
For water proofing wood we use a minwax wipe on poly. Easy to apply. You will need quite a few coats for that type of rough wood.
something like a marine spar varnish will also be really water proof.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38374597f5d1dc73ee3bdc2495411738--betta-tank-amazing-aquariums.jpg

upload_2017-10-31_9-44-24.jpeg

dd820ca79b65f67040be5f9b27ddee94--wine-barrel-table-wine-barrel-furniture.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oak barrel in good shape can hold more weight than an IM 25 lagoon can hold. I would make a flat table on top of the barrel for the tank to sit on, but it sounds like an awesome idea. Post pics when you're done!

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the oak will need protection from salt water. The barrel was once full of acidic wine.

true but thinking of salt staining. But you're right, the barrel should be pretty tough.

that would look nice. I don't know how much weight they can bare, but hopefully someone else can chime in.
For water proofing wood we use a minwax wipe on poly. Easy to apply. You will need quite a few coats for that type of rough wood.
something like a marine spar varnish will also be really water proof.

I would be more concerned about salt stains and other visual abnormalities the wood can get if unprotected.

It's the salt stains I'm more worried about. As for weight, it's more than sturdy enough, they stack them 4-5 tall, each weighing 125lbs, so way more than one IM 25. I like the idea of the minwax, could see needing a good amount depending on how rough the wood is.

An oak barrel in good shape can hold more weight than an IM 25 lagoon can hold. I would make a flat table on top of the barrel for the tank to sit on, but it sounds like an awesome idea. Post pics when you're done!

I was hoping to avoid the flat top and have it sit right in the middle of the top, but there aren't any barrels that big unfortunately. Flat top is probably what I will have to do. Debating cutting the top trim to make the flat top easier to mount. I will definitely post pics once done. Hopefully I will be able to do a build thread out of it.

Marine varnish.

Was thinking marine grade. Used to work for a sailing supply store locally and they have a good variety of options.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to avoid the flat top and have it sit right in the middle of the top, but there aren't any barrels that big unfortunately. Flat top is probably what I will have to do. Debating cutting the top trim to make the flat top easier to mount.

I'd be careful about putting a lot of weight just on the top panel (without it supported by the ends of the vertical staves). Those end panels are designed to hold the weight of whatever's inside the barrel pushing out, not so much from the outside pushing in. You'd probably have to support the underside of the top from inside the barrel if you did that.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be careful about putting a lot of weight just on the top panel (without it supported by the ends of the vertical staves). Those end panels are designed to hold the weight of whatever's inside the barrel pushing out, not so much from the outside pushing in. You'd probably have to support the underside of the top from inside the barrel if you did that.

I've been thinking about this part and how to reinforce the inside of the barrel to support the weight. I'll have an access door in the front so I can store the ATO container in there as well as the controls. Debating an aluminum frame to save space. But a simple wood frame would helped a bunch I think.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back