Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all my parameters are

salinity: 1.022
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 2
Phosphate: 0.03

bio load 5 fish in a 20 gallon with clean up crew of snails hermit, brittle star and a cleaner shrimp. Everyone seems to be doing pretty good.

Using a hang on back filter which I also changed from aqueon 30 -40 recently. Changed a filter cartridge a month ago ( 3 months old tank ) after it was cycled to reduce nitrates that were reaching 25ppm every week and had to do water changes to reduce it water was clear but not crystal. Recently bought the RODI unit. Using rodi water now from tap and seeing a good amount of coralline algae grow cause of it. Did only 2 water changes with RODI water.

back to the topic I have not fed my fish for 3 days thinking the water will clear up seeing no change and resumed back to my feeding schedule starting today. Before feeding checked my almost month old filter cartridge it’s still looked pretty covered in gunk

I did so many changes that I have no idea what might be the cause.

any help would be appreciated, I’m scratching my head cause of this

thank you.

image.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Should go away in a few days (week tops). Increase aeration, otherwise nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my rodi unit always reads 0. No, we cook with it but don't drink it.
I’m not even sure if cooking in it sounds safe but I guess the boiling gets rid of all of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Should go away in a few days (week tops). Increase aeration, otherwise nothing to worry about.
I did saw a bacterial bloom before, I stopped feeding for 3 days and it went away. But at the time I had a gunk full of filter media this time the filter cartridge is new and the 3 days of not feeding didn’t do much. Hopefully it goes away by its own in the next week with normal feeding. If not I mate change the filter and add a skimmer.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back