Wondering if I should switch to sump???

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, and thanks for taking time to read. So I have a standard 29 with an ac70 and hob skimmer (seaclone 100). Was wondering how much more beneficial switching to a sump would be. It seems like it would be an enormous benefit to me. It seems like it would be a lot easier to control parameters.
So......what all would be involved, drilling tank and plumbing, correct? Also since it's a 29 what size sump would you recommend? Would it be worth it?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, and thanks for taking time to read. So I have a standard 29 with an ac70 and hob skimmer (seaclone 100). Was wondering how much more beneficial switching to a sump would be. It seems like it would be an enormous benefit to me. It seems like it would be a lot easier to control parameters.
So......what all would be involved, drilling tank and plumbing, correct? Also since it's a 29 what size sump would you recommend? Would it be worth it?
you CAN drill it if youd like, but there are also hang on the back overflow options out there if its something youre not comfortable with doing yourself. Once you decide which style of verflow, then its just plumbing it, which can be pretty simple, just a straight line down for the drain and then a small pump for your return. something small like a controllable DC3000 or something would probably be enough flow for a 29G and they are pretty cheap.
My first reef tank was a 29G which i eventually got a 10G sump for and it made a world of difference. even just having a place for the equipment to be housed so its not in view of the main display is worth it IMO.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Did not know about hob overflows. I think that's what I'm planning on doing then. Do you think the sea clone is enough filtration to run my ac70 into a small fuge? Or could I just use sump as fuge?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey peepers! Welcome to R2R!!

I have found that bigger is better when it comes down to sumps. They’re pricy so you might as well go with the biggest one you can afford and fit below your tank. Now are you planning on setting up a Fuge with all the bells and whistles or what is your plan for the sump?

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WOULD like to be able to grow chaeto and add things to help later. My standbis not to terribly big underneath so I probably can't get more than a 10-20 underneath.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey peepers! Welcome to R2R!!

I have found that bigger is better when it comes down to sumps. They’re pricy so you might as well go with the biggest one you can afford and fit below your tank. Now are you planning on setting up a Fuge with all the bells and whistles or what is your plan for the sump?
Plus just adding more water to system to help stabalize.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would personally not add a sump unless you plan to go with a long term tank . I would use a aquaclear or a large marina hob breeder box as a fuge. You don't need a sump for a successful reef and a 29g is more than enough for stability. As long as you don't over stock you will be fine. I find with a small fuge and heavy feeding even in my 12 g cube I cant get any nutrients past 2ppm nitrates if I run my fuge 12 hours.

Your current setup should be fine. Do you have any more details on the tank for a more detailed input. As Mario stated more water volume will definitely give you more room for error and you can hide everything underneath.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not add a sump unless you plan to go with a long term tank . I would use a aquaclear or a large marina hob breeder box as a fuge. You don't need a sump for a successful reef and a 29g is more than enough for stability. As long as you don't over stock you will be fine. I find with a small fuge and heavy feeding even in my 12 g cube I cant get any nutrients past 2ppm nitrates if I run my fuge 12 hours.

Your current setup should be fine. Do you have any more details on the tank for a more detailed input. As Mario stated more water volume will definitely give you more room for error and you can hide everything underneath.
Lol. Well I got everything to make a sump. What do you mean a long term tank? I mean I plan on having this as long as I can. I also plan on upgrading my tank to larger size in the next year or two. I had read that my ac70 was not big enough for a fuge to make a difference in my parameters. i like the idea of hiding equipment as well. Should I really not bother?

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, do you think it sounds overstocked with my current stock list in original post?

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh I'm sorry I thought I put all my tank infobin original post.
29 standard, ac70, seaclone 100 skimmer,2 koralias(565,425), about 25 lbs of live rock, live sand, rodi water.
Nitrates about 40
3 months old

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha stock list is 2 small Domino clowns, coral beauty, flasher wrasse, algae blenny, watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair, bta,royal urchin, cuc, various soft corals, mostly zoas.

RudeReefNano20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end the choice is yours but let me help swing you back towards a sump. I fairly new to the hobby but did a lot of research for my setup and I went with a sump. There are a lot of benefits, the list goes on. If you plan on staying in the hobby and upgrading later this is a chance to "test" some new ideas for your next tank. That was my idea. My sump is very small to fit my build but I built it for no more than 50 bucks (a DIY 10 gal). I'd suggest a 20 gal for you if you can fit it and build it yourself if that's in your wheel house. You can check out my build to see my sump. I will try to grow cheato later this year. If that doesn't fit well a pre-built one will do, just cost more.

Hope this helps your decision.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end the choice is yours but let me help swing you back towards a sump. I fairly new to the hobby but did a lot of research for my setup and I went with a sump. There are a lot of benefits, the list goes on. If you plan on staying in the hobby and upgrading later this is a chance to "test" some new ideas for your next tank. That was my idea. My sump is very small to fit my build but I built it for no more than 50 bucks (a DIY 10 gal). I'd suggest a 20 gal for you if you can fit it and build it yourself if that's in your wheel house. You can check out my build to see my sump. I will try to grow cheato later this year. If that doesn't fit well a pre-built one will do, just cost more.

Hope this helps your decision.
Yeah, I can only fit a 10 in my stand but got a free 10 gal tank and have a pump already. So it was just a matter of getting some glass cut for baffles and aquarium silicone.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the inside of the stand to know how big of sump will fit. If it is just a 10g then I'd say skip stay sumpless for the time being. You'd probably be better off using the space for a good size ATO than a sump.

With a 29g tank you should be able to control most parameters with just consistent water changes. You also don't "need" a skimmer on the tank. That would eliminate probably the biggest piece of equipment on the tank.

I have a 20 long in my office with just a heater, powerheads, light, and auto top off. No sump, no skimmer, no plumbing, no hang on filter. It is my favorite tank I've had so far because it is simple and pretty hard to mess it up. In comparison I have a 180g peninsula in my living room with lots of equipment, and the 20 long is still my favorite.

OP
OP
Peepers

Peepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't have an ago at the moment. But am home every day. And with weekly water changes my salinity never seems to swing at all. I know it's only a 10 gallon, but wouldn't 33% more water volume help with everything? I know I CAN do everything with more manual labor, but isn't a sump still good for the ecosystem of a tank no period?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back