Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today let's have a little fun and talk about working in the aquarium industry. Some of you may a;ready but many, and most of you do not. But would you ever consider it?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

aquarium industry fish bag.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

Consider? yes. Actually do it? Depends on what, where and why.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I like to help people set up new tanks and solve issues with existing tanks. The build is the most fun part for me. If I could with with people wanting to put an aquarium in their home I would be all over that.

Will wash windows for frags!

On a side note in a very round about way I do work in the industry. I have two jobs. 1 I run a nonprofit that provides food for people/families/children/veterans/ homeless in need. However I don’t get paid for that full time job. To make my own ends meet I also work (almost) full time washing windows. Some of my business clients are LFS. I do the work in trade for store credit. This will often help the store out as it will save them some $ and although I don’t make any money I get some things I want for my aquarium. So a very round about way I work the industry. Lol.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I was retired from what I now do.
Aquarium trade doesn't pay as well.
During the holidays when I visit the LFS, and it's crazy busy, the owner "threatens" to put me behind the counter.
:D

Doing.
When you're an owner, you get owned by responsibility to customers, employees, in this case livestock.
I've seen what that looks like from my pops owning a business and my brother owning a business. I don't need the stress.
:cool:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve considered it for my retirement. Problem is brick N mortar LFS are up against it, esp in these social distancing times.
O
nine customer service and scam avaoidance is the issue for online sales
I was thinking of custom tank manufacturing and/or selling entire mature aquascapes. Pre-quarantined fish and frag consignment.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to eventually. There was a time where I thought hobby and job don't mix. Many years of disliking every single job I've ever had has changed my mind. One day I'd like to be happy professionally even if I'm poor. If it were possible to make enough just working at an LFS I would probably be okay with that. Since it's not, I semi seriously dream about having a coral farm and now that I'm learning how to breed fish that is also something I'd like to pursue. Maybe if I grew lots of coral, bred some fish, also did copepods, phytoplankton ect. Everything together would make enough to pay my bills even if it meant long days everyday, at least it would be doing something fun.

I have to move from my rural location to somewhere that has reliable shipping, but that is something I eventually want to do. When I look at houses a large basement, or possibility for a separate building is a must. Hoping to be able to move next year.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did twenty years in the retail pet industry, both full-time and part-time. There are a lot of good memories that balance out the wackos. There is nothing like a seven year old ecstatic because her mollies had babies. Then there is the twenty year old who went over the counter at me because I wouldn't give him cash for a light fixture that he got from another store. Fond memories.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I work part time at the National Aquarium in Baltimore (unpaid so I'm a volunteer, but they call us "unpaid staff" and I can get fired.. so I call that work). I would never want to work there for my real job.

I think the aquarium industry is one of those fields where people are willing to do it for next to no money because they love the work so much. The result is they're willing to do it for very little money and in less-than-ideal conditions. The employees at the Aquarium are very highly educated, but they're just not paid very well.

Then there's the business aspect of working in the industry. For places that are large organizations like the National Aquarium, this means red tape and bureaucracy. If you want to upgrade or buy new equipment for your gallery, you have to put in a purchase request with justification and hope the bean counters buy your argument. If you want a new animal in your gallery, you have to talk to the lead aquarist and get approval from other higher ups.

Working at a smaller aquarium store or institution doesn't have these exact challenges, but it's still a business. You're either 100% in charge and call all the shots, in which case success or failure is all on you. Or, you're an employee and you have to send everything through the boss, who is likely to be pretty restrictive since everything is on their shoulders.

I'd much rather keep my programming day job and use the buckets of cash they send to my bank account every pay day to fund my hobby than trade in all my freedom and choice just to do aquariums for a living.

The only exception might be something like Karen and Philip do at KP Aquatics. They have a lease site and mariculture live rock and hand-collect fish, corals and inverts to sell. They ship on Monday/Tuesday and dive the rest of the week to collect orders. That would be pretty darn cool.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I would love to work at any public aquarium.. Atlanta, John G Shedd, San Deigo. Not really what you were asking. So to answer what I think you were asking, no, I would not be interested in building glass or acrylic cages.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a little aquarium service business years ago. Some of it was fun and greatly rewarding! Some of it was appalling.... I would only consider doing something like that again if I didn’t have to rely on it for income. Or if I knew I could pick and choose and still make ends meet. That way I wouldn’t feel obligated to ignore my moral compass because I needed to pay bills.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do help at my lfs when required, I helped for a couple of weeks early lockdown in the UK, the manager had to self isolate for two weeks, I lost my job a year ago so am living on savings, unless I managed a place the pay wouldn't be enough to keep me afloat! :)

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I love the aquarium/saltwater industry.. I feel there are tons of positions I would really enjoy!!

That being said.. I am trying to work into the industry through a different perspective! That being YouTube.. @revhtree you know how I feel about this LOL!!

With that being said, I somewhat am involved? Of course I dont make any money of my little YouTube now.. If you guys want to check it out Id really appreciate it! Subscribe and help me out! Also love to hear feedback on my channel and any video ideas!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back