Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that I was a cycle emt in a large metropolitan city, ready to roll in a panel truck with a modified medical snake cross reef insignia on the door and on my three bar arm patch. I would actually not require any tools to fix someone's cycle, I would just want to wear the gear and assure them its going to complete just fine and we'd make their tests show that vs when they dialed #reef911

Last edited:

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
Yes i would and I did. Worked at an LFS because i like the hobby and i got sweet disounts :D

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I have owned a Maintenance company for over 20 years. Love working on all the tanks. Its like having a bunch of aquariums but just not at your house :). I have been involved in the building of 2 stores and have thought about opening a shop of my own for a few years.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that. I'm back to the hobby after quitting for 30 years. I stated an Aquarium Maintenance Service thinking it would be cool and help support my hobby. I had a full time job and did aquariums on the weekends. Getting to buy wholesale was great ect etc.. Well it turned into work and the Hobby wasn't fun anymore.. It was work. Gave my accounts away and sold all my reef tanks. I am back. Hobby only Thank you.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
giphy.gif
Already do! ~Shaun K.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered it.

I went to school for Aquaculture and Fisheries Technology. I knew there were aquarium fisheries industries in Texas and Florida at the time(1990's). I even talked to a brine shrimp hatchery in the Keys...Sea Critters. Entry level was $18,000, but they really wanted to me to finish schooling, they wanted someone to start in April of 1991 and I still hadn't graduated.

Did I dodge a bullet? I can't say. A guy I went to school with went from a Kona tropical fish facility to Aquatic Ecosystems in Florida back to Hawaii for some University position. He was originally a New England native so I'm sure he doesn't miss the snow.

If I was in the biz it would be at a land based aquaculture facility.

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
Nope. Been there. Just about ruined the hobby for me.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

Gun to my head and had to choose... Some sort of niche aquaculture or tank-raised coral/fish business. Possibly some sort of high-end, exclusive, stupidly overpriced quarantine service.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retired about 6 years ago and started some part time work at my LFS. He had moved locations and could not get his coral systems back up and running so we made a deal for store credit at his cost. My son has since taken over managing those three systems. Now I just service 3 really nice client reef systems locally. They don't ask any questions about cost; they just say make it look awesome. It works out pretty well, and certainly covers my hobby expenses. Plus, I have most of my corals "backed up" across the six systems.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty retired now so would consider working for someone else in Miami Beach area. The reality though, is that there are not many good lfs’ left.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 17 almost 18 years in now.

May work I run 27 tanks on 9 systems. 50hrs a week
At home my wife is also a hobbyist and we have 13 tanks set up around the house. I’m currently installing two more 125 gallon raceways in my garage on top of that.

Not a hobby or a job for me. It’s a lifestyle.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back