Worms on firefish gills?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently this is common in Firefish. I've seen several posts all over the internet about them, but without any real luck in what they are. I've heard they're anchor worms, possibly. One of my Firefish has the same thing, so I'm hoping not to lose him.
Welcome to the forum! Start a new thread in the fish disease and treatment forum along with some pics and we'll rally everyone to try and help you out

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture

IMG_20190604_072317435.jpg
Go ahead and start the new thread, it will get much more attention than an older thread and avoid any confusion

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a purple fire fish to the same parasite. Pulled it off of him after finding him dead. Still unable to get a positive id on it.

8077CDC9-4864-46AC-96B1-7829C9F7C88B.jpeg
That is likely just a worm that lives in your tank that was having a little feast on the dead fish. Fish parasites are mostly microscopic in size. Worms like flukes are visible to the naked eye but are a flatworm and can be about as large as a sesame seed.

murphy357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is likely just a worm that lives in your tank that was having a little feast on the dead fish. Fish parasites are mostly microscopic in size. Worms like flukes are visible to the naked eye but are a flatworm and can be about as large as a sesame seed.
If you look at the original posters pictures, my fire fish had the same style worm in the same place, the gills. My fire fish was alive, but having breathing issues an hour before I found him basically dead with the worm in his gills.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the original posters pictures, my fire fish had the same style worm in the same place, the gills. My fire fish was alive, but having breathing issues an hour before I found him basically dead with the worm in his gills.
Those are actually egg strands from a parasitic copepod that specifically attacks fire fish. The animal itself is a crustacean buried in the fish’s body. Never try to remove them, it will only damage the fish. The eggs need a planktonic stage, so they won’t reinfect the fish. The trouble happens if the copepod gets into vital organs, then death can occur. I don’t know of any treatment for the adult copepods. Juveniles can be controlled with dimilin, because it stops the molting process. Adults don’t molt, so it won’t work on them,
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like an anchor worm, I believe a freshwater dip would release it from fish .
@Jay Hemdal

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal & @vetteguy53081
I believe i have the same thing.
2 white strings attached to a firefish i just got.
It’s in quarantine, and I only noticed it a few days after I got it, so not sure if it’s growing out.

I can’t get a clear picture, but it’s a while string about a quarter of an inch long attached to the side of the body mid way all my fish.

Any treatments known?

Prazi, copper, fresh water etc..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s in quarantine, and I only noticed it a few days after I got it, so not sure if it’s growing out.

I can’t get a clear picture, but it’s a while string about a quarter of an inch long attached to the side of the body mid way all my fish.

Any treatments known?

These fish susceptible to nematode worms
Often a freshwater dip followed with prazi May dislodge them

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any treatments known?

Is it coiled? If so, that is an egg mass of a copepod. If it is not coiled, I'd need to see a picture to try and ID it.

Here is something I wrote up about the copepod:

The purple firefish, Nemateleotris magnifica has a copepod parasite specific to that species – Serpentisaccus magnificae. Described by George Blasiola in 1979, this parasite is seen on newly imported firefish. The body of the parasite is buried in the flank of the fish, behind the gills, either on one or both sides. When the female copepod develops its egg sacs, these emerge from the fish’s skin as tiny, coiled strands. Treatment should not be attempted for this parasite, as the adults are buried too deeply into the body of the fish for physical removal to be done safely, and no known chemotherapeutic will eliminate internal crustacean parasites without also harming the host fish. This copepod is thought to have indirect development with a series of planktonic larval stages, so there is no real concern of the eggs hatching and then fully developing and causing reinfection of the host. In some cases, the fish recovers, but it is fatal in other instances, It may be dependent on how deep the female copepod attaches, and if the fish’s vital organs are involved.

Jay

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much @vetteguy53081 & @Jay Hemdal!

So it would seem that both of you are talking about different things it could be.
I’ll try get a pic but super hard to get a clear one.
It is a purple fire fish but I think the white string is not coiled I’ll take a look again soon.

So if it’s coiled I have to just hope for the best, and if not it’s most probably a worm which I can FW dip and prazi.

I’ll try get a picture so you can better diagnose

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you so much @vetteguy53081 & @Jay Hemdal!

So it would seem that both of you are talking about different things it could be.
I’ll try get a pic but super hard to get a clear one.
It is a purple fire fish but I think the white string is not coiled I’ll take a look again soon.

So if it’s coiled I have to just hope for the best, and if not it’s most probably a worm which I can FW dip and prazi.

I’ll try get a picture so you can better diagnose

Thank you!
That Will work
I’m at an airport boarding aircraft in a few minutes for a 6+ hour flight

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back