iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just go hard and clean everything of alage like bare clean
I just pluck and scrub it off but i know i spent a few hours i could get it all

Im sorry to all i am stressed. I know the alage is an issue ive tried. Phosphates i haven't check for a while ill have to re do that tbh.

It sucks cause i got a salt so i could have a nem and clownfish relationship
Well my clowns died do to my stupidness and now im worried ill lose the nem cause i tried to lay the tank low and that was probably worst to do.
Just worried ill lose it all in the end. Lotta corals ive hunted.
The tank is also hard to look at now after the lose. Those clowns were my first pair in the tank with the nem.
Everyone one here are killers and have learned from failure.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up. This is not a hard fix. It will just take a bit of manual labor. We can probably take care of a good chunk of your bristleworms and 99% of the algae in the same go.
What fish would be best for the worms. I no the alage is more a me thing. Ill control my perm betters and maybe more regular maintenance during the week.
Thank you all

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make this or you can buy premade bristle worm traps. This might give you something to keep entertained and allow you to see some positive change with your tank while this ugly phase is managed

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make this or you can buy premade bristle worm traps. This might give you something to keep entertained and allow you to see some positive change with your tank while this ugly phase is managed

Im gonna try that then.
Yea i did think it already happened but i think i uderstand what people meant when they say they are fighting alage.
My fight begins

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An arrow crab I believe will attack bristle worms. I think there are other inverts that will hunt them as well. But arrow crab will wreak havoc on them.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna try that then.
Yea i did think it already happened but i think i uderstand what people meant when they say they are fighting alage.
My fight begins
This is probably a good time to dose Vibrant to help with the algae. I’ve personally not used it and use microbacter clean which I use for prevention.
I would also recommend getting your bacterial balance back in order as the algae is tamed. There are a ton of options. I personally like brightwells microbacter products

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a good time to dose Vibrant to help with the algae. I’ve personally not used it and use microbacter clean which I use for prevention.
I would also recommend getting your bacterial balance back in order as the algae is tamed. There are a ton of options. I personally like brightwells microbacter products
Okay ill look at brightwell im mod working so ill need some.time to reply

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear choice set here.

1. buy doser items and kill targets in tank. deal with accumulations, waste compounds with other purchases and filtration setups. Duration: you can see it’s a weeks and months long wait in any work thread for hands off fixes. Lots of death along the way, rot compounds will accumulate and it’s a slow curve back up, the threads already on file show. There are many successes with this method, and many losses on file, its a random mix of outcomes due to the variation of adding things into the water and waiting.

2. an opposite method, take the tank apart and clean the rocks a certain way, clean the sandbed a certain way, agreed it will clear out the bristles and we would reassemble in two hours time a perfectly rebuilt reef that looks like you want and has zero poisons in solution. This way is big work, therefore .01% choose it. We have work threads too, an easy thirty page one comes to mind for planning if you select this mode. This mode has the best outcomes but only works easily for nanos, for 150 gallon setups you can imagine taking the tank apart would be harder. Option one can never beat option two in long term stability, but it’s far less work so it’s more popular. I’m talking dump some stuff in and see what happens type experimentation, it’s easy.

option 2 has zero threads on the entire internet where for pages people post that rip cleans killed their tank. In our first seven pages it’s all happiness heh and hard work. And reef rule breaking to get those snappy after pics.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this option one thread. Seven pages of people who secretly wish they’d option #2’d

and then the actual vibrant thread is a hundred pages, with lots of positives. Hundreds of losses and hundreds of successes are mixed when we dose the water with something in response to eutrophic conditions.

see how option one does not guarantee you a safe outcome, but it guarantees you dont have to do anything but make a purchase

option two is like gardening outside to make a lawn the best lawn on the entire block...it’s all manual enforcement. Takes about two hours. Post a full tank shot of your reef if u can

that anemone w act better when no worms at night and when params are balanced and clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this option one thread. Seven pages of people who secretly wish they’d option #2’d

and then the actual vibrant thread is a hundred pages, with lots of positives. Hundreds of losses and hundreds of successes are mixed when we dose the water with something in response to eutrophic conditions.

see how option one does not guarantee you a safe outcome, but it guarantees you dont have to do anything but make a purchase

option two is like gardening outside to make a lawn the best lawn on the entire block...it’s all manual enforcement. Takes about two hours. Post a full tank shot of your reef if u can

that anemone w act better when no worms at night and when params are balanced and clean.
Okay im gonna be home soon and ill post a tank photo.
Id probs just do the manual one cause i honestly do big cleans and its not an issues just nkt like what i assume this is.
I also own an animal room with 5 diff fish tanks only 1 salt tank thou. So i dont mind spending the time to clean.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say it as gardening thats not bad i enjoy that
So did some post a thing on how to clean the sand and filters? Of not i can look it up just wondering

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear choice set here.

1. buy doser items and kill targets in tank. deal with accumulations, waste compounds with other purchases and filtration setups. Duration: you can see it’s a weeks and months long wait in any work thread for hands off fixes. Lots of death along the way, rot compounds will accumulate and it’s a slow curve back up, the threads already on file show. There are many successes with this method, and many losses on file, its a random mix of outcomes due to the variation of adding things into the water and waiting.

2. an opposite method, take the tank apart and clean the rocks a certain way, clean the sandbed a certain way, agreed it will clear out the bristles and we would reassemble in two hours time a perfectly rebuilt reef that looks like you want and has zero poisons in solution. This way is big work, therefore .01% choose it. We have work threads too, an easy thirty page one comes to mind for planning if you select this mode. This mode has the best outcomes but only works easily for nanos, for 150 gallon setups you can imagine taking the tank apart would be harder. Option one can never beat option two in long term stability, but it’s far less work so it’s more popular. I’m talking dump some stuff in and see what happens type experimentation, it’s easy.

option 2 has zero threads on the entire internet where for pages people post that rip cleans killed their tank. In our first seven pages it’s all happiness heh and hard work. And reef rule breaking to get those snappy after pics.
My tank is a nano so yes option 2
How do i clean the sand properly
Syphon over and over or is there a proper way.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you chose wisely here. But i'll add the caveat, I'm also a big believer in Vibrant and have had personal success.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home and my tank i guess is having bloom of some sort. I did lose one of my starfish this morning which is sad cause it was the first cuc i put in. Not smart i know i was a noob and didnt relaize there survivability in tanks is low. But he was fine till now. My other starfish and my shrimp is okay
I did a big water change yesterday while trying to get rid of some alage.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you chose wisely here. But i'll add the caveat, I'm also a big believer in Vibrant and have had personal success.
Id rather not lose corals. Ive only list inverts and fish so far id be sad if i start losing corals.
My first store digitata aint lookimg good dangit

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks cloudy :(
I did also feed the corals idk what happened while ive been gone. It wasnt cloudy this morning

Attachments

• 20201205_200140.jpg
    20201205_200140.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem still looks upset but he hasnt moved or split it seems

Attachments

• 16072168785418597544891526719505.jpg
    16072168785418597544891526719505.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 31

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reduce the population of bristle worms .
cut back on feedings until nutrients lower .
they are feeding on something whether it’s something that passed or excess foods .

large water changes will eventually help with the algae .
what’s your water source ?
lighting and light schedule

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use water from water depot. It puts my tank to perfect peremeters every time with fritz salt.
Light is an ai prime
I change water every week but i didn't for a month cause i thought letting the tank lay low and chill would be better i was wrong.
Worms are bad cause no fish sadly and its been no fish for a month plus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-220009_myAI.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-220009_myAI.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 25

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back