Worst fears… Ich!

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was feeding my clowns in my DT I had noticed some white spots or bumps on one of them. After a bit of research, it appears to be ich. I did manage to get a brand new 10g to QT both clowns have a sponge and hob filter (only added sponge in media basket) running for extra aeration. Temps are set, I have a seachem ammonia patch for a quick glance check and salinity is right where it needs to be. I figure I don’t need my tank cycled since I’ll be doing frequent water changes.

I’ll be getting Seachem Cupramine and dosing based off the following video:

I was wondering during this time should I be feeding daily or slowing feeds during QT? I’m hoping for a speedy recovery however the clown I see ich with is the one with a nipped fin due to establishing pecking order from the other clown. Luckily they’re not aggressive and swim with each other but he’s a little rough in the edges. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zyrzyxen Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re better off using copper power or coppersafe than cupramine. They are much safer forms of copper medication.
To help with the cycle, you can pull media from the dt and add it to the qt.
Cupramine is what I have readily available I’d be waiting several days for the alternative.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re better off using copper power or coppersafe than cupramine. They are much safer forms of copper medication.
To help with the cycle, you can pull media from the dt and add it to the qt.
Scratch that I got copper safe at a local LFS! Will try that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend you use the protocol at the top of the disease forum (the sticky). Additionally, any other fish you have should be treated as well - and your display tank left fallow for 6-8 weeks. However, are we sure its Ich?

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you use the protocol at the top of the disease forum (the sticky). Additionally, any other fish you have should be treated as well - and your display tank left fallow for 6-8 weeks. However, are we sure its Ich?
I’ve looked at other possible diseases and the bumps look closely similar to ich. My only experience with ich is with bettas but the treatment is entirely different.They first appeared as small white “pimples” on the translucent part of the fins, almost small bumps. Now I see it on the actual body. It doesn’t seem like the slime layer or sloughing off as if it were brook but I’m no expert.

I only have two clowns in the system which are currently in my QT for observation. Haven’t started any treatment as of yet. I’ll be keeping them here until the DT is free of any parasites possibly even longer to guarantee.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve looked at other possible diseases and the bumps look closely similar to ich. My only experience with ich is with bettas but the treatment is entirely different.They first appeared as small white “pimples” on the translucent part of the fins, almost small bumps. Now I see it on the actual body. It doesn’t seem like the slime layer or sloughing off as if it were brook but I’m no expert.

I only have two clowns in the system which are currently in my QT for observation. Haven’t started any treatment as of yet. I’ll be keeping them here until the DT is free of any parasites possibly even longer to guarantee.
I can't seen any pictures - but in any case - the fish should be quarantined per protocol. (with medication - including all of your other fish - and then leave the display fallow.

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seen any pictures - but in any case - the fish should be quarantined per protocol. (with medication - including all of your other fish - and then leave the display fallow.
Thanks, I wish I could add photos but getting any clear shot of these guys is almost impossible. I am going to go ahead and keep my two clowns quarantined and proceed with treatment. I can’t believe one of my LFS told me clowns can’t get ich and to put it back into the display tank since I’m doing more harm stressing them out in a QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, I wish I could add photos but getting any clear shot of these guys is almost impossible. I am going to go ahead and keep my two clowns quarantined and proceed with treatment. I can’t believe one of my LFS told me clowns can’t get ich and to put it back into the display tank since I’m doing more harm stressing them out in a QT.
That is not correct. Clowns can get ich. But maybe your LFS has information I do not. Again - not a criticism - but - I think they are correct it's less likely!!!!. Not impossible

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not correct. Clowns can get ich. But maybe your LFS has information I do not. Again - not a criticism - but - I think they are correct it's less likely!!!!. Not impossible
I went ahead and observed my fish and the spots I saw previously had disappeared. I don’t know what the heck is going on, but this happened to me a few weeks ago as well, and even then the spots dropped or disappeared. Should I hold off and keep them in the QT as a sort of observation?

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is typically seen with ich - spots will drop off and more will come in their place as the ich reproduces.
I haven’t seen any more than two or three dots at any given time and I’ve only seen them on two occasions in the last three weeks. This is characteristic of ich or could it possibly be something different?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went ahead and observed my fish and the spots I saw previously had disappeared. I don’t know what the heck is going on, but this happened to me a few weeks ago as well, and even then the spots dropped or disappeared. Should I hold off and keep them in the QT as a sort of observation?
As already said - with ich spots come and go. Yes - you should (IMHO) - keep them in QT

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said - with ich spots come and go. Yes - you should (IMHO) - keep them in QT
No doubt I will still keep them in the QT for the next three months however, I was just wondering whether or not I should start the copper treatment. I guess it doesn’t hurt, I just wouldn’t want for them to go through unnecessary stress if it weren’t the case. I just wish there was an easier way to discern 100% if this is ich or not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No doubt I will still keep them in the QT for the next three months however, I was just wondering whether or not I should start the copper treatment. I guess it doesn’t hurt, I just wouldn’t want for them to go through unnecessary stress if it weren’t the case. I just wish there was an easier way to discern 100% if this is ich or not.
Agree on minimum quarantine of 30 days at least 2.25 even up to 40 but not convinced of ich or other.
Can you post a 30 second video as of today under white light intensity?

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on minimum quarantine of 30 days at least 2.25 even up to 40 but not convinced of ich or other.
Can you post a 30 second video as of today under white light intensity?
I have them set up in a QT without a light besides natural lighting. Would that be sufficient? I also have a grow light if that’d make things better?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you do you tube video?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back