Would like a fish suggestion

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 40 breeder with 20 sump. Currently stocked with a gold lightning maroon, lawnmower blenny, citron clown goby, and elegant dottyback.

LFS tells me I’m topped out, but Im not convinced, I honestly think I’m still on the low-bioload side.

I don’t want to pair the clownfish, she’s too aggressive. Suggestions?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do a dwarf angel, dwarfpuffer (some may nip at a coral or invert), some pistol shrimp goby pair, basselet or royal gramma, etc.

As long as the fish are not fighting and your waste export method can handle more fish, you should be fine.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a yellow watchman. They should be compatible with everything, but the citron goby is questionable. But the citron is more of a percher, and YWGs are more into the sand bed, so I’m thinking that might work?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a yellow watchman. They should be compatible with everything, but the citron goby is questionable. But the citron is more of a percher, and YWGs are more into the sand bed, so I’m thinking that might work?

Cintron and the watchmen will be fine together.

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchmaaaan! :D
20200216_215128.jpg

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding fish will be difficult, with the 2 bruisers (maroon & dotty) you have.

But, the watchman should be okay.
Yeah - aggression is way more of a concern here than bioload.

The watchman is a good choice - or anything else that serves a very different niche than what you currently have.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding fish will be difficult, with the 2 bruisers (maroon & dotty) you have.

But, the watchman should be okay.

Yea that dottyback could make it tuff to add anything.

Something with a different domain, size and shape might be possible.
He will rip any basslet to shreds.

Yea a watchman or another goby might work but I would be ready , I have seen dottybacks kill fish in no time. They are relentless and can get into most spots.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually havent seen any aggressive behavior from the Dottyback, but the Maroon keeps the dottyback in check though. Those two are the only ones I've seen any aggressive behavior from (and it was always initially only between them).

And I agree, the fish temperament makes the puzzle much harder than the bioload. Thanks for the input everyone!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually havent seen any aggressive behavior from the Dottyback, but the Maroon keeps the dottyback in check though. Those two are the only ones I've seen any aggressive behavior from (and it was always initially only between them).

And I agree, the fish temperament makes the puzzle much harder than the bioload. Thanks for the input everyone!

Have you added any fish since getting him. Dottybacks get aggressive when adding new fish. Is the tank new and he has not settled in yet?

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any fish since getting him. Dottybacks get aggressive when adding new fish. Is the tank new and he has not settled in yet?

Tank is 6 months old. Fish order: added lawnmower first, then citron clown goby, then elegant dottyback, then the gold lightning maroon clown pair. The female clown came paired, actually quite well with a male. But after a couple months, she just turned on him overnight, he didn’t make it. Judging by the behavior of all of them together, I would actually think the dottyback is the most docile of all of them, so that surprises me a bit.

Back