Would you kill your fish to put it out of its misery?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that one of my fish doesn't seem like it's going to make it. I hate to see him suffer so was wondering if I should euthanize him. Sucks either way.
Thoughts?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil :( we would put a dog down if it was in pain so I don’t see why you wouldn’t do the same with a fish

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would too, if I really felt it would die. The worst thing that can happen is that it would die deep in the rocks overnight

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil works quite well. Keep in mind the fish can get a bit jumpy when first exposed. Another alternative which works the same, but may be more readily available for you is peppermint oil. Lethal doses are ~400-500ppm.
The fish will appear “dead” rather quickly. These chemicals can also be used as fish anesthetics in lower doses and shorter duration. So be sure to leave it in the solution for an extended period of time. (10min or so) The last thing you want is to have it wake up if you then flush it. (Why do people flush fish? please don’t do that.)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLove oil, it works very similar to teh MS222 aenesthetic vets use. Sorry if I'm blunt but freezing strikes me asa lot of uneccessary stress for a fish when clove oil is a very inexpensive aenesthetic.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish? No problem. Wife? Different story Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately I have done so twice and allowed the fish to take its last breath, then removed it to a ziplock bag and placed in freezer

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had to do it to some FW fish. Did a lot of research and ended up going the route of freezer. Other quick ways would be smashing it (sounds gruesome but kills them instantly) and clove oil as others had mentioned

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife (veterinarian) just looked it up and the American Veterinary Association recommends a clove oil bath: small container mix 4 drops in small container of water for fish less than 4". It will go belly up and it's not dead, just knocked out. Then add about 12 drops more and 30 minutes later it will be dead.

Apparently my method of putting in the freezer can be a bit tortuous since ice crystals can form on the gills while still alive...... :rolleyes:. AVMA says it's an unacceptable method for fish.

If your curious, here are the current AVMA guidelines for most animals, fish included:

Last edited:

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the point of no return/quality of life, absolutely putting it down is the humane thing. MS-222 or clove oil. Pithing, or just smashing it would be much quicker and less pain than putting it in a freezer.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your anything like me, the fish are my pets and some have been with me for years so I would not want them to suffer and go as quickly and painless as possible

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put fish down. It's a sad, but sometimes necessary thing. :(

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back