Wound on clown

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i came home to see my clown has a slice on his side upper back- a clean slice that looks like a paper cut. It's pretty big. Sliced his dorsal fin too

Should I try to take him out for QT? It doesn't seem to bother him- eating and swimming normally.

Any idea what could've caused such a wound? It's not a bite and the only sharp thing I have is my rock boring urchin. Maybe my coral banded shrimp?

IMG_8776.JPG

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing its the cbs. Ive seen my pair try to attack my clowns a few times

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a QT it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and move him over. Might need to run a course of antibiotics such as kanaplex to fend off infection. Otherwise you could try adding some vitamins such as selcon to his diet and let him heal on his own. I'll tag the experts so hopefully one of them will pop in soon.
@Humblefish @melypr1985 @Brew12

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could trap him, that would be a lot less stress. Just use a bottle, jar etc., put some food in there and after a couple feedings he'll get brave enough to go in.

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he sleeps at the top just cetch him then when the lights are out

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little weak on wounds but I don't think I would stress him by trying to catch him. You can give him antibiotics if needed by using Focus to bind it to food.
I will defer to the real experts, Humblefish and Melypr, but I would wait before trying to catch him to see what they advise.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough call, as clownfish are very hardy fish. Probably the wound will heal fine on its own; although soaking his food in vitamins or antibiotics couldn't hurt. I would probably only QT & dose antibiotics directly into the water if it starts looking worse.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I agree with humble. It really is a tough call. The wait and see approach is probably best here. See how he does and be ready to treat if needed.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, usually these heal fairly fast, and agree the CBS could be the cause, but my first thought was do you have a tang, kinda looks like a tail swipe

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a bristletooth tang. A tail could cause such damage? I didn't know that

Oh heck yeah, easily.
That tail spike is gnarly, I've had tangs going for their eggs and of course clowns being protective, it's not at all uncommon to have this happen.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh, learn something new! I was going crazy trying to figure out what could cause such damage. I didn't think my CBS would make such a wound (Sure, they can cut, but not like this, at least I don't think so). Thank you for helping, it may be that then! (or something else, who knows, lol)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back