Wrasse aggression

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus) in the tank alone (only wrasse) for almost a year. He’s been a model citizen and hasn’t caused issues with any other tank inhabitants.

About 3-4 months ago I added Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis). The Ruby instantly lost his **** and tried to murder the Solon. I was able to get the Solon in a acclimation box shortly after adding it to the tank and had in in there for 2+ weeks.

There has still been some aggression every night right before lights out but it’s been manageable. And only has seemed to be for about an hour every day.

Flash forward to tonight where the Solon is the one being the instigator, but the Ruby isn’t backing down. Before it was the Ruby chasing the Solon around. Now they are going back and forth chasing each other. It’s been going on for about an hour and the worst I’ve ever seen.

I’d like to add more fairy wrasses but am worried that these two are going to battle to the death and the winner won’t let any other tank new wrasse additions.

I definitely regret putting the Ruby in first now after reading more about them. But if one has to go, it would be him.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wrasse VS wrasse not unusual
Place original wrasse in an acclimation box for 10-14 days

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back