Wrasse Question

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I have a 75 gal reef tank and im looking to get another wrasse. I have a carpenters flasher wrasse and im having a hard time trying to figure out if it is a male or female. I am going to post some pictures of it and see if i can get some more tonight when i get home. It has been the only wrasse in my tank since i started reefing about a year now many people say i should just get more carpenters. But some are telling me i should get a different type of wrasse. If anyone can give me some ideas if my wrasse is male or female and if i should by other carpenters or should i go after a different type of wrasse.(leaning towards different type)
DSC00262.jpg
DSC00266.jpg
DSC00460.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a young male. Male flashers are generally less tolerant of conspecific males than males of other species. When you do add another wrasse I strongly recommend using a social acclimation box.

OP
OP
Steven C

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a young male. Male flashers are generally less tolerant of conspecific males than males of other species. When you do add another wrasse I strongly recommend using a social acclimation box.

I already have an acclimation box do you think it may be better to just stick with carpenters?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus solorensis, species of Pseudojuloides wrasse, though they are not the easiest, Halichoeres melanurus, chrysotaenia, leucurus and richmondi, keep in mind the Halichoeres wrasses may go after cuc.

OP
OP
Steven C

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ok i mean i think the halichoeres wrasse are absolutely stunning are the chances high of them going after CUC?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^A bit species dependent, but pretty high. Although which inverts specifically will be on the menu is also a bit variable, but snails and/or hermits are the favorites.

OP
OP
Steven C

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^A bit species dependent, but pretty high. Although which inverts specifically will be on the menu is also a bit variable, but snails and/or hermits are the favorites.
then i don't think im willing to go for it what do you guys think of leopard wrasse then

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back