Wrasse question

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read different books, and articles, and it is unclear as to whether Flasher Wrasses need a Sandy bottom? Also, the minimum tank size differs. I’ve seen comments of as low as 30 gallons but I others have said far higher.

I have a eco friendly coral bottom and a Redsea 170 - would a Flasher Wrasse be suitable? Or any other Wrasse? Would also need to be reef friendly.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus Flasher Wrasses sleep in a mucus cocoon.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t need sand. And I wouldn’t keep them in a 30 gal even though fir a smaller one it’s probably possible. I have a few in a 90 and They swim around so much and really use the tank. Even my 6 line wrasse who I have in my 32 gal which is said to be big enough for it I wouldn’t do again. It just seems too small seeing how much he swims to search for stuff to peck at on the rocks. Look at life aquaria to get an idea on what they say for minimum size and how much each kind grows. Personally for me I’m not going to put anything in the minimum size tank anymore. Some fish just do need space even though they’re small.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read different books, and articles, and it is unclear as to whether Flasher Wrasses need a Sandy bottom? Also, the minimum tank size differs. I’ve seen comments of as low as 30 gallons but I others have said far higher.

I have a eco friendly coral bottom and a Redsea 170 - would a Flasher Wrasse be suitable? Or any other Wrasse? Would also need to be reef friendly.

I have been really into wrasses in the last 24 months so I'll tell you what I've learned and what I've experienced.

Flasher wrasses don't need sand at all. The only wrasses that will benefit from sand are those that burrow in the sand at night to sleep (and when they are stressed). Example of sand dwelling wrasses are your tamarin wrasses and leopard wrasses.

To the point about flasher wrasses and tank size. I think there are two considerations. Are you keeping a single flasher or more than 1. With a single flasher wrasse, many of the tank size recommendations you see online are sufficient. However with more than 1 flasher wrasse, their behavior in how they interact with other flasher wrasses would require you to have a slightly larger tank.

I have four flasher wrasses and they often chase each other flashing here and there and that behavior requires a larger tank than if I were to have a single flasher.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really into wrasses in the last 24 months so I'll tell you what I've learned and what I've experienced.

Flasher wrasses don't need sand at all. The only wrasses that will benefit from sand are those that burrow in the sand at night to sleep (and when they are stressed). Example of sand dwelling wrasses are your tamarin wrasses and leopard wrasses.

To the point about flasher wrasses and tank size. I think there are two considerations. Are you keeping a single flasher or more than 1. With a single flasher wrasse, many of the tank size recommendations you see online are sufficient. However with more than 1 flasher wrasse, their behavior in how they interact with other flasher wrasses would require you to have a slightly larger tank.

I have four flasher wrasses and they often chase each other flashing here and there and that behavior requires a larger tank than if I were to have a single flasher.
I’m only thinking of a single one tbh

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus Flasher Wrasses sleep in a mucus cocoon.

Thanks - a good read

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, IMHO flashers need 4’ minimum because they tend to dash into objects in smaller tanks.
I would say any of the Possums and pink streaks work in that small of a tank. Also no, flashers don’t need sand since they sleep in mucous cocoons in the rocks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back