OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck getting a non-snail eater to eat other pests…
The best way to do that is through getting snails that are either Nocturnal or can flip themselves.

The downside to pinkies is;
1. They’re a nightmare to get unless you’re looking for them in the season’s they’re available
2. They only eat the smaller pests, if you have huge Flatworms/Nudibranchs you will want to get a different species of wrasse.
This is a very good point

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good point
Honestly, a pink streak is better keeps as a display fish more than a pest eater.
I have an article on Halichoeres wrasses and it does mention what sorts of snails are best to use :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the 6-line. Might be aggressive towards the mollies but oh well. I assume this being a frag tank that there is no top and is shallow. Chysus and others in that genus would be too much of a jump risk. What are the specifics of the frag tank?

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
I would get the 6-line. Might be aggressive towards the mollies but oh well. I assume this being a frag tank that there is no top and is shallow. Chysus and others in that genus would be too much of a jump risk. What are the specifics of the frag tank?
Its actually not a conventional frag tank and does have a tightly fitting lid, and is quite a deep tank just a standard 125gal so jump risks are fine.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It

Its actually not a conventional frag tank and does have a tightly fitting lid, and is quite a deep tank just a standard 125gal so jump risks are fine.
And if its nippy towards the mollies thats not the end of the world, theyre literally only in there to keep a higher bioload because we have constant low nitrate and dosing will be very pricey, so were trying to just stock it decently and then I also over feed.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It

Then I would go with H. chrysus. Very mellow wrasse. Some would say mellow yellow. Except @i cant think. He likes lemon meringue.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would go with H. chrysus. Very mellow wrasse. Some would say mellow yellow. Except @i cant think. He likes lemon meringue.
If you compare a chrysus male to a leucoxanthus male, there is no competition ;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of yellow coris wrasse. I hv kept and they always play together. They come out together and eat together. Such a peaceful fish
The downside to pairs is eventually you’ll have two males that hate eachother.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we’re playing that… Compare them to a shutmani male, yellow is nothing compared to that red ;)
Pics! Or you don’t got one! I’ve been thinking hard on that magma since jordani is no longer available. Someone just posted a really nice earl’s (guy from SD?) so it’s a difficult choice. The reds are fantastic though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! Or you don’t got one! I’ve been thinking hard on that magma since jordani is no longer available. Someone just posted a really nice earl’s (guy from SD?) so it’s a difficult choice. The reds are fantastic though.
I wish I had one!
It’s high on my want list as jordani is the poor version IMHO. Ever since seeing even just a female in the LFS when I worked there, this wrasse has shown it’s better than jordani.

But lubbocki males are better than chrysus as well ;)
33222D06-D739-4D09-A7A9-FB2BC1D62A91.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had one!
It’s high on my want list as jordani is the poor version IMHO. Ever since seeing even just a female in the LFS when I worked there, this wrasse has shown it’s better than jordani.

But lubbocki males are better than chrysus as well ;)
33222D06-D739-4D09-A7A9-FB2BC1D62A91.jpeg
I have yet to see a magma in person so I will hold off on if it is better than my first male jordani.
2E92A333-D947-48A4-8D34-172DB3553ECD.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back