Wrasses: opinions and advice needed!

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 200 gal mixed reef tank with sand. I’d like to add some wrasses but have never owned one and would like some experienced input... do’s/don’t’s, personal favorites, ones to avoid, etc.

I have currently 4 large (5-6 inch) tangs (hippo, purple, Sailfin, powder brown, a small (2.5 inch) squaretail tang, 3 clowns (misbar and 2 snowflake) and a sand sifting diamond goby.

Two medium bubble tip anemone (that my clowns just ignore ... *eyeroll*). Mostly LPS but just added my first few sticks of acropora last week.

Thanks for the info!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with one of the many Flasher and Fairy Wrasses as they are reef safe, for the most part and can be very colorful.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size you have lots of choices and could keep lots of wrasses! It really just depends on what catches your eyes. You could keep multiple fairy, multiple flasher, multiple Halichoeres and multiple leopard wrasses....or a mixture of the above.

Keep multiple males of different species within a genus. You can keep multiples of the same species with leopard wrasses as they are much less likely to transition to male. Look at pictures and bring back your stocking list here for our resident wrasse experts to go over. This thread will help you avoid incompatibility within the fairy wrasses.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

OP
OP
jkentfite

jkentfite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size you have lots of choices and could keep lots of wrasses! It really just depends on what catches your eyes. You could keep multiple fairy, multiple flasher, multiple Halichoeres and multiple leopard wrasses....or a mixture of the above.

Keep multiple males of different species within a genus. You can keep multiples of the same species with leopard wrasses as they are much less likely to transition to male. Look at pictures and bring back your stocking list here for our resident wrasse experts to go over. This thread will help you avoid incompatibility within the fairy wrasses.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

Thank you! Is there a vendor you would recommend? Liveaquaria is who I’m most familiar with.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @mta_morrow. That's where I've gotten most of mine.

Pacific Island Aquatics will have some hard to find, high end (read expensive) wrasses. Zoa Collector also will have some really nice ones as well. Blue Zoo is also a place I've gotten a few from.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back