Wrinkly/curly/UGLY torch polyps

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this torch for well over a year in my tank now, together with 2 others. A few months back I guess, all 3 of my torches were p*ssed off due to some flow changes and they all got these curly/wrinkly polyps. Both my dragonsoul and toxic green quickly changed back to how they were, but this one hasn't. It's extending just fine and is getting almost the exact same amount of light as the others. It does get a lot less flow though. It's placed 2 inches lower, but they're all in the same spot.

Any ideas what's causing this? Params: kh 8.1; calc 475; mag >1500; SG 1.025; temp 26C/~79F; no3 10 - 25; po4 0.06 - 0.1
No problems w/ other corals, everything looks great and is growing like crazy. The other torches are both in the process of splitting.

Mr ugly:
20210713_142450.jpg

For reference my dragonsoul:
20210713_142520.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be as simple as a fish or something else bothering it, your water parameters look fine

DropoffCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there may have been an increase in nutrients, it is giving that just direct fed look. May need to check phosphate and nitrate

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there may have been an increase in nutrients, it is giving that just direct fed look. May need to check phosphate and nitrate
I also had a purple with green tips that was all curly and wrinkly. I have also seen other people with this same style torch and the same issue. I think it's just this type of torch if i'm honest. Nothing to worry about, my torch has been fine for two years

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to open up an old thread, but I am having this issue with 2 of my torches at the moment, and was looking for some answers. I noticed there was no result if the torch returned to normal looking, died, or still looking the same. Any updates or answers since January?

Thanks

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I totally forgot about this thread. I gave it to my buddy, where it still looks the same. He already had one that looked like this as well. It's doing perfectly fine by the way.

I've seen these torches in several other tanks as well and I recently bought a new torch that has the weird polyps as well, albeit not as pronounced. Got another torch from a different source that isn't showing these polyps. I'm starting to think it's just a ''feature'' of certain torches.

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I totally forgot about this thread. I gave it to my buddy, where it still looks the same. He already had one that looked like this as well. It's doing perfectly fine by the way.

I've seen these torches in several other tanks as well and I recently bought a new torch that has the weird polyps as well, albeit not as pronounced. Got another torch from a different source that isn't showing these polyps. I'm starting to think it's just a ''feature'' of certain torches.
The interesting thing is I have 2 doing it and I had them for like 2 months before they started. For sure not a too much flow problem. I have another that looks like it may be starting. All three different kinds and one is from another vendor.

I was running high phosphate for a while….not on purpose and when I got it back down to .05 they seem to be settling some. Curious if you had high phosphates when this happened.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back