Wuzzo's First Reef

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the goby! To be honest I can't find the comment on where you lost it, so if recent please make sure you do whatever you can do determine cause and don't add anything else unless safe to do so!

As for a final fish I'd say maybe a small goby or blenny but check for compatibility with the firefish. A Royal Gramma may be doable but someone else is will be better experienced to advise!

Start off with 1 'easy' coral, if you can care for that for a month or two then look at getting your next. Take it slow over the first few months :)

Get a range of bigger shells for the hermit and leave them around the tank, or when it gets bigger it will go after your snails for theirs! :)

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like 3 cabbage leathers, one is bigger than the palm of my hand, one I think has a death wish, and one is like 2 centimeters long, and they are doing super good in this tank, it looks to me if they were thriving. They were all freebies to!

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be getting some simple coral like blastos or acans, most likely a replacement hammer coral.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral banded shrimp loves to snap at my firefish, but its super quick so it gets away. The goby died because it was super small and went into the AIO chamber, following by being shredded by the return pump. Oops...

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read thru everything. Looks like you are off to a bumpy, but good start with your first tank. One piece of advice I'll offer, and have to often remind myself of, is to slow down. Marine tanks take time and patience. Much like loving a good woman. If you rush things, it'll crash and kill everything you love. Take your time and care for it and go slow and it'll be the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the cavalry arrive now!
As above, take a step back and a moment to think!
Firstly an apology, I'm sorry we missed your start.
Some water test results would help, nice work on adding flow.
Your leathers are great nutrient exporters but it would be nice to see what they are dealing with? :)

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for what I have done. We went to pure reef and I saw a hollywood stunner chalice and a bicolor hammer. I don't know if I'm being that slow and steady. I saw it and had to have it. I'll get some pics when they are in the tank and happy.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mhm. I'm confident to keep em' alive.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chalice and bi-color hammer are doing really well.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, question. Should i maybe get some frag racks in my tank and start growing/selling frags? I want to do it but I don't know if my tank can handle it yet.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, question. Should i maybe get some frag racks in my tank and start growing/selling frags? I want to do it but I don't know if my tank can handle it yet.

Bad idea. You can get a rack, but I wouldn't put your lights, or experience up to growing anything more than a frogspawn very high in the tank. Hollywood stunner is a tank and grows very fast... it also can send out 6" sweeper tentacles to kill, and eat, corals around it.

Let's see some pictures of your new corals. How is the algae coming?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no you should not.

Multiple people have explained that you need to slow your roll. Not because they don't want to see you succeed, but because from experience, nothing good happens in this hobby in a few months time of a new tank.

You mentioned you had fresh water tanks. Well to put it into perspective, you need to slow down the pace to probably 7-10x SLOWER than starting a freshwater tank. A saltwater tank is a complete ecosystem.

So, if you don't start slowing down, then I fear you're headed for a massive disappointment, and even worse, a waste of money and loss of life.

We don't like to see people fail, but rushing things is how you fail.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely not doing this right, aren't I?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this good deal on instagram. It was a used oceanic 30g cube with t5 lights and a stand with a small pump.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, some pictures.

IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas where to place the hollywood stunner? I gotto flip the hammer back over.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is doing fine, the cyano and algae is pretty much gone. I haven't been updating because there is literally nothing to update you on except for the fact that i got a small thermometer.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back