Status
Not open for further replies.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no one to normally complain about coral pricing. But I look around and see WWC is just way out of line with everyone else.

Not trying to sound rude, but I’m wondering if they are really trying to pay off the new facility early.

no matter the case... wow.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are. That's the only reason I have never ordered from them. I dont feel it's to fund the new facility, but rather to make the online live sale things seem like a better deal.

But if they get those prices more power to them!

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, it is a matter of trust their corals are qt'd and free of ich and marine velvet and other pests. Their reputation is based on a strict QT schedule. And I have gone to great lengths to qt all of the fish in my tank.

I have bought all 75+ coral frags in my tank solely from WWC on an ongoing basis without putting them in 78 day non-fish qt and and have never had any fish disease appear, nor anything like aptasia.

I am happy to pay whatever premium is necessary for that, and will continue to buy solely from WWC as long as pests are not an issue. But the day that I buy some frags and fish disease appears soon after, I would consider pretty much any other reputable vendor.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$29.99 plus $49.99 shipping, that’s $79.98.

85B3A9EE-32D9-4656-95B6-E3C75492D50D.jpeg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think wwc is bad, have you seen top shelf prices? Lol they recently opened a new facility too and their prices have more than doubled.
Usually I will bid on a bunch of stuff from a single ebay seller and they combine shipping which is nice.

Good idea!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, it is a matter of trust their corals are qt'd and free of ich and marine velvet and other pests. Their reputation is based on a strict QT schedule. And I have gone to great lengths to qt all of the fish in my tank.

I have bought all 75+ coral frags in my tank solely from WWC on an ongoing basis without putting them in 78 day non-fish qt and and have never had any fish disease appear, nor anything like aptasia.

I am happy to pay whatever premium is necessary for that, and will continue to buy solely from WWC as long as pests are not an issue. But the day that I buy some frags and fish disease appears soon after, I would consider pretty much any other reputable vendor.
I wish I was wealthy like you...

Dave Bayliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the old store before they moved, on a vacation to Florida. What you see for sale is only a small portion of what goes on, behind the scenes they had a huge quarantine system, with dipping, and treatments for pest and nuisance algae removals etc making sure you got the best possible.

I wish more stores worked on the same principles for only selling healthy pest free samples, I am more than happy to pay the premium knowing I get no flatworms, bubble algae or other 'fun' things to deal with down the line. I have purchase 'cheap' frags and fish only to have to spend a fortune dealing with them 3 months later ( I've had all three from cheap frags, and yes i did dip twice prior to putting them in the tank but did not hold the frags to see what developed) .

all of the wwc frags i purchased are still doing really well even after moving them 450 miles east from Erie Pa to CT, surviving 2 weeks in a horse water container with a heater, and are now crammed in a small frag tank with rock covered in bubble algae, that, yes, I'm still dealing with from cheap corals I bought (vibrant I am told!!) just my 2 cents!!

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was wealthy like you...

Honestly, that's a great way for the market to grow.

Clean, carefully-tended trusted sellers can charge more from a market with money to pay.

Unknown people on CL and eBay can sell for cheaper, with potentially less trust, and higher risk.

You (and I, I'm not rich and am just getting started) can take our risks with unknown people, or try to find more reputable local/eBay sellers -- which I am definitely going to have to do as well.

But hopefully those sellers will build reputations and the market will grow and they'll be able to build known brands as well, and make some nice profits off of people with more money to spend.

All of the wwc frags i purchased are still doing really well even after moving them 450 miles east from Erie Pa to CT, surviving 2 weeks in a horse water container with a heater, and are now crammed in a small frag tank with rock covered in bubble algae, that, yes, I'm still dealing with from cheap corals I bought (vibrant I am told!!) just my 2 cents!!

Cool, more people in CT, hopefully more trading and more business!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that's a great way for the market to grow.

Clean, carefully-tended trusted sellers can charge more from a market with money to pay.

Unknown people on CL and eBay can sell for cheaper, with potentially less trust, and higher risk.

You (and I, I'm not rich and am just getting started) can take our risks with unknown people, or try to find more reputable local/eBay sellers -- which I am definitely going to have to do as well.

But hopefully those sellers will build reputations and the market will grow and they'll be able to build known brands as well, and make some nice profits off of people with more money to spend.
I totally get what you are saying and I am all for safe and healthy frags. But I just can’t justify paying 5 to 10 times the price I get locally. Double is what I am willing to pay. More than that is just too much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back