WWC pricing is going through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe the owners are paying for leukemia treatment for their child - or gene replacement therapy for their parent in Europe without access to it - who are you or anyone else to decide. Every product you buy - from toilet paper to coral to straws to cars you're paying multiples of the cost - I mean - this sounds unfriendly - and against the TOS of this site - but 'grow up'? Or - 'Get Real'? I dont know how to say it more politely
yea... not in a rant you say...

Dave Bayliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its simple if you dont want to pay for it dont buy. no one is forcing your hand!!

I purchased from them knowing what I got. quality pest free corals. was it more than the only lfs? hell yes, but i also picked up flatwormsm bubble algae and a host of other problems.
How many of us have sent thousands on a glass box that is only worth hundreds??? my first 4x2x2 with sump and stand was $800 now were willing to pay upwards of $2000???

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree entirely. I don’t have preference toward the brand or not.

be it known: my core opinion on the matter is that of a capitalist. I celebrate their freedom to charge whatever they want for whatever they are selling. If it’s too expensive I won’t buy it. Everyone should respect that.

I’m just simply pointing out you’re not paying for a guarantee of cleanliness from them or ANYONE. Not from me. Not from TSA, not from Jason Fox. Not from anyone. Nobody can guarantee a coral will be free of all things that may plague your tank. That assumption was rampant in the first few pages of the thread and I just felt like discussing.

Yes I posted the $800 Walt Disney frag. Mainly for laughs. Btw that wysiwyg coral has been up for a couple months now. Price is down to $600 currently on it.
That is a very true statement. Try as you may, you never know what little critter could end up in your tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea... not in a rant you say...
I think said define 'rant' - if any disagreement with something you think is a 'rant' - well - there's that. Other than that - no its not a rant - its a rational answer so someone who thinks that everyone that is charging more than their cost for coral is buying a Ferrari

U

User1

View Badges
I do not know the OP but I'd wager his intent was to not bash a vendor. I think it was just an observation and it sort of flew South from there. There are many threads on this board, and others, talking about the prices of corals be it chop shop, aquaculture, private, or any other form of business. There are many. As long as we are all civil about it I think it is a good thing to bring awareness and/or discussion to the tables. I'm pretty positive that the businesses see and read the comments. If not then some one else does and relays the information.

We all have a "through the roof" opinion, I know I have several. Example one. In 2016 I was shopping around for a GT350 Mustang. Everywhere I looked dealers had a 20 - 25K ADM markup. That is 25K on top of the MSRP. That is through the roof I thought. My better half was like meh - buy it. I was like no, and so I went for a 2015 GT/PP instead. Hind sight being 20/20 it was probably for the better but guess what. I sure was irked at many a dealer be it local or cross state lines. Enter today. It gets better. I'm now shopping for a 2020 GT500. Can't get one through Ford directly or built so I have to go through dealers. My build lists at $105K. Closest I can get out of state is 145K which is, guess what, 40K over MSRP. Two dealers are asking....169K and it doesn't even include all of the track pack options. So they are asking 169K for the base 80K car. Yeah - they kicked up an order of magnitude or more for the "going through the roof" factor. So here I am again frustrated but hey, it is what it is. The car will sell. I won't buy it. And I'll just continue on my merry way (Merry Christmas to all of you fellow hobbyists out here btw) and let others have the fun. I'm cool.

Here is another "through the roof" moment for me. 6 or so years back I'm at a BBQ place eating lunch. I just happen to be in my uniform at the time. Anyway this young lady sits behind me with a stack of papers. Young man comes in dressed somewhat casually, and introduces himself to the lady. It is an interview. I'm catching bits and pieces of it and it seems to be going ok when the lady says to the young man. Do you mind if I ask you a personal question. Young man says yes. She says as the owner of the restaurant she would like to request he wears long sleeves to cover his tats. She explains that during working hours or if he is working with the customers that is her request. And if he can do that the job is his. He pauses, then extends his hand and yes, yes mam. I can do that for you. And thank you for taking the time to explain it while also extending the interview rather than not have it. After he left I asked the if the lady, who now I know is the owner, if I could talk to her. She said yes, and we spoke for about an hour. She offered to pay for my lunch and I said no. The point is I wanted to just say thanks to her because I thought it was cool what she did. She tried to reach the young man. Explained why she asked him to do so, and if he was offended. Never saw that before. She then looks at me and said look. I'm 35 years old. I work hard. I own 4 small businesses. Two restaurant's, a bar, and dang if I don't forget the fourth. She said she is flexible. Knows what she is looking for and above all tries to make it work for everyone so she can stop by the time she is 45. I took a step back and said wow. She knows what she wants, she is in control, and takes no crap. Honestly - people like that always intrigue me. Is it taught. Is it instinct. How do they do it. It is fascinating. Anyway...

Where is this going and what is the TL;DR? It is this. Businesses will charge what they will. People will either pay or not. Just because someone can we shouldn't judge nor should we get upset (not saying anyone here is doing that). In my case I chose not to pay and bought either something else (the first Mustang) and not play (GT500). The bigger point though is this.

They, the business owner, is the risk taker. They, much like the young woman I spoke to, has the drive, the guts, the risks, everything to include bloody luck, to get where they are. Some are successful. Many are not. That ladies and gentlemen, is the American Dream.

For the record. I'm sort of a 15 - 17 dollar frag kind of guy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know the OP but I'd wager his intent was to not bash a vendor. I think it was just an observation and it sort of flew South from there. There are many threads on this board, and others, talking about the prices of corals be it chop shop, aquaculture, private, or any other form of business. There are many. As long as we are all civil about it I think it is a good thing to bring awareness and/or discussion to the tables. I'm pretty positive that the businesses see and read the comments. If not then some one else does and relays the information.

We all have a "through the roof" opinion, I know I have several. Example one. In 2016 I was shopping around for a GT350 Mustang. Everywhere I looked dealers had a 20 - 25K ADM markup. That is 25K on top of the MSRP. That is through the roof I thought. My better half was like meh - buy it. I was like no, and so I went for a 2015 GT/PP instead. Hind sight being 20/20 it was probably for the better but guess what. I sure was irked at many a dealer be it local or cross state lines. Enter today. It gets better. I'm now shopping for a 2020 GT500. Can't get one through Ford directly or built so I have to go through dealers. My build lists at $105K. Closest I can get out of state is 145K which is, guess what, 40K over MSRP. Two dealers are asking....169K and it doesn't even include all of the track pack options. So they are asking 169K for the base 80K car. Yeah - they kicked up an order of magnitude or more for the "going through the roof" factor. So here I am again frustrated but hey, it is what it is. The car will sell. I won't buy it. And I'll just continue on my merry way (Merry Christmas to all of you fellow hobbyists out here btw) and let others have the fun. I'm cool.

Here is another "through the roof" moment for me. 6 or so years back I'm at a BBQ place eating lunch. I just happen to be in my uniform at the time. Anyway this young lady sits behind me with a stack of papers. Young man comes in dressed somewhat casually, and introduces himself to the lady. It is an interview. I'm catching bits and pieces of it and it seems to be going ok when the lady says to the young man. Do you mind if I ask you a personal question. Young man says yes. She says as the owner of the restaurant she would like to request he wears long sleeves to cover his tats. She explains that during working hours or if he is working with the customers that is her request. And if he can do that the job is his. He pauses, then extends his hand and yes, yes mam. I can do that for you. And thank you for taking the time to explain it while also extending the interview rather than not have it. After he left I asked the if the lady, who now I know is the owner, if I could talk to her. She said yes, and we spoke for about an hour. She offered to pay for my lunch and I said no. The point is I wanted to just say thanks to her because I thought it was cool what she did. She tried to reach the young man. Explained why she asked him to do so, and if he was offended. Never saw that before. She then looks at me and said look. I'm 35 years old. I work hard. I own 4 small businesses. Two restaurant's, a bar, and dang if I don't forget the fourth. She said she is flexible. Knows what she is looking for and above all tries to make it work for everyone so she can stop by the time she is 45. I took a step back and said wow. She knows what she wants, she is in control, and takes no crap. Honestly - people like that always intrigue me. Is it taught. Is it instinct. How do they do it. It is fascinating. Anyway...

Where is this going and what is the TL;DR? It is this. Businesses will charge what they will. People will either pay or not. Just because someone can we shouldn't judge nor should we get upset (not saying anyone here is doing that). In my case I chose not to pay and bought either something else (the first Mustang) and not play (GT500). The bigger point though is this.

They, the business owner, is the risk taker. They, much like the young woman I spoke to, has the drive, the guts, the risks, everything to include bloody luck, to get where they are. Some are successful. Many are not. That ladies and gentlemen, is the American Dream.

For the record. I'm sort of a 15 - 17 dollar frag kind of guy.
This was starting to sound like something it was not LOLOLOL:):):):): AKA an old magazine that had a column named 'forum'.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think said define 'rant' - if any disagreement with something you think is a 'rant' - well - there's that. Other than that - no its not a rant - its a rational answer so someone who thinks that everyone that is charging more than their cost for coral is buying a Ferrari
I agree with that. Didn't have to write like 20+ comments to trying to explain that. That's why I have mixed feelings. Buying a coral locally is like buying a Mercedes and buying the same coral from WWC is like buying a Mercedes, but supercharged.

You do you with your money, it's not like WWC is the only one with the coral.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price comparison is tough. While some vendors charge less etc. There are other factors to consider. Two WDs or HWs or whatever high end coral we are talking about are not necessarily one in the same. Is it WYSIWYG? How large is the frag? Someone selling a 1/2” WD nub that’s not even encrusted to a plug should certainly charge less than a 2” fully encrusted frag. All WYSIWYG coral/fish is always purchased with a premium. Just my .02

Ive also said this many of times, a hobbyist may be able to sell for much less than a coral farm. Does anyone know how much some of these farms cost to build? Of course the business has to recoup that and build it into the cost of the coral or whatever product they are selling. If you don’t like someone’s price move to another vendor. People obviously pay the prices that are required or the business wouldn’t be growing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So we can all agree the WWC prices are on average higher than other vendors then. Good talk folks. /thread.
No - we can't - depending on what they are offering - I would suggest no matter which vendor you use - look at their warranty, their QT practices, their quality - and the reviews - among other things - there is no way to say anything based on this thread - which seems to have been started with no evidence comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - we can't - depending on what they are offering - I would suggest no matter which vendor you use - look at their warranty, their QT practices, their quality - and the reviews - among other things - there is no way to say anything based on this thread - which seems to have been started with no evidence comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges
All this talk of QT practices from so many. Yet when I ask what they are...........nothing. And I’m truly curious. They teased a QT section in their video recently but I’ve seen nothing about what it actually entails.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk of QT practices from so many. Yet when I ask what they are...........nothing. And I’m truly curious. They teased a QT section in their video recently but I’ve seen nothing about what it actually entails.
I am not educated on their process but I am familiar with the process that some of the others use including stringent dips and lengthy observation periods in separate systems to make sure colonies are 100% pest free before being added to their grow out systems which in turn protects the end user (customer) and their system. I’m not going to mention other vendors but I can tell you I have bought several SPS corals from a couple other vendors and have never ever had a pest enter one of my systems. To me it’s worth paying for. I know not everyone has the same mentality and that is ok.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still dip and qt any coral unless it came from a close friend's tank that I knew as well as my own.

No company will pay for any losses due to pests in a customer's tank. Pest free sounds like an advertising gimmick to me these days.

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got to page three of this post so far but WWC is not the only over priced vendors out there. Matter of fact there cheap compared to some. But what I have received from them has always been good I’ve only lost 2 out of about 80 and they were replaced so no complaints there. Not really any LFS I would buy from here. Ones double the price of WWC with brown coral and covered in algae. Another one keeps fish with ick and velvet with there corals and the prop in the store can’t even tell you what type of coral they have. And if you really want to get a good deal I’ve bought 22 corals from WWC ebay sells before for only $106 including the shipping charge. And most of them were “high end” (little red Ferrari Acro, strawberry shortcake, pc rainbow, sunfire graphed monti, a bounce, two Aussie lords, various favia and zoas). You just need to learn to shop better if your complaining about prices.

As far as equipment goes if you cheap well no name brands are for you go for it some are actually really good. Personally I like my Mp40’s I’m running 18 of them on on my various tanks. I used lots of different wave makers but the clean look no wires and easy to take out clean and put back in makes the price well worth it to me. And I’ve had some of them 10 years now and only replaced one wet side which was Fairly cheap.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is from the old farm, but they discuss what they do here. The new farm is quite a bit bigger than the old farm.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello friends. While we want to be able to allow as much debate as possible to continue we feel like some discussions degrade to a point that it is no longer in the best interest of the forum or participants to allow it to continue. That being said we’re going to put this one to rest and we hope you understand. Have a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back