Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does WWC still import a majority of corals or has large grow outs as a majority? I think a major difference here, compared to other business models, is they only really need to sell 1 frag of frag to get their money back. So if the majority of their model is grow outs then most corals have no true 'product' costs and the consumer is really paying for their rent, labor, electricity, water, elaborate new facilities, and sponsorships. Most other companies pay for a product and all of the above, prices are more justified. I'd imagine they would be hard pressed to give a true answer as to the true justification of their overpriced stock.

As a side note I don't believe this thread is a mob mentality or acting overly aggressive towards the vendor. Just honest reviews and feedback. People should be allowed to have these discussions even about a top forum sponsor...

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, I don't know why you're in a rant over someone's opinion. If an animal's life is at stake, I get it. But no need to mad over someone's opinion just because it doesn't agree with yours. Let them cry. It ain't gon change anything, unless they actually do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does everyone think their total monthly costs to do business are? 10k, 20k, 30k, 50k? If they had 30k in total monthly costs, they'd need to sell 1500 $20 frags... how many people think they sell 1500 or more frags a month?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does WWC still import a majority of corals or has large grow outs as a majority? I think a major difference here, compared to other business models, is they only really need to sell 1 frag of frag to get their money back. So if the majority of their model is grow outs then most corals have no true 'product' costs and the consumer is really paying for their rent, labor, electricity, water, elaborate new facilities, and sponsorships. Most other companies pay for a product and all of the above, prices are more justified. I'd imagine they would be hard pressed to give a true answer as to the true justification of their overpriced stock.

As a side note I don't believe this thread is a mob mentality or acting overly aggressive towards the vendor. Just honest reviews and feedback. People should be allowed to have these discussions even about a top forum sponsor...
I dont like the company - (or dislike) - but I think you're wrong - they are a business. Their job is to make money. They can charge what they want - when they want how they want. if customers don't agree thats the way they 'protest' - i.e. don't buy.

Imagine husbands protesting on Coach's or Michael kor's websites about purse prices - or at the Gap -or at any retailer, YOUR COST IS ONLY XXXX BUT YOU'RE CHARGING XXXXXX TIMES 10 lolololol. its retail - come on - does anyone really believe that Penney's pays more thanMichaelKors for leather???? its marketing, its business....

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you are reading the post that supports your opinion - nd ignoring those that do not. I do not. WWC can charge whatever they want IHO - if they offer a value as compared to others - (according to the buyer) - who should say otherwise. People talk with their wallets..... I think

Really?

@AZMSGT referenecd a post that had links to the same coral from several vendors. The one venrdor mentioned in the title was definitely higher priced then the rest that were linked. And this was for a couple different named corals as well.

I guess I just don't understand this response is all.

To be honest, I'm wondering why I'm even getting involved with this 'debate'.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does everyone think their total monthly costs to do business are? 10k, 20k, 30k, 50k? If they had 30k in total monthly costs, they'd need to sell 1500 $20 frags... how many people think they sell 1500 or more frags a month?
It really doesn’t matter. The customer should not be expected to pay 3-8 times as much because the owners want a ferrari.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im playing devils advocate - partly because I havent surveyed other vendors - and partly because I dont know why this vendor charges more - but - How do you know - have you gone through multiple sites, compared QT methods, compared guarantees, etc etc? If so - then all good - but if you havent - I dont understand your response.
Some of the other vendors in question, yes. I also don’t expect you to go back and catalogue every response I’ve made, but it has been well documented that people have received all manner of pests from this vendor, making the whole “but their qt process is so rigid, they sell you peace of mind that is priceless” mentality absolutely false

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

@AZMSGT referenecd a post that had links to the same coral from several vendors. The one venrdor mentioned in the title was definitely higher priced then the rest that were linked. And this was for a couple different named corals as well.

My guess... you’re debating with the only person on this board I have on ignore. Thanks for posting on my behalf.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean - did you mean I responded to the wrong post - or what - either way what you said doesnt make sense, People pay what they want - for what they believe to be 'value'. 'Rich' people CONTRARY to nosrt comment here are rich because they are conservative with their spending - buying only what they think is 'value;. granted - someone could buy a Ford Focus instead of a lambhorgihini. but that is something else. In this case, I disagrww
Basic economics. You are correct.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all seriousness, I don't know why you're in a rant over someone's opinion. If an animal's life is at stake, I get it. But no need to mad over someone's opinion just because it doesn't agree with yours. Let them cry. It ain't gon change anything, unless they actually do something about it.
I disagreed with your opinion. I expressed that. I also reminded you - (as I have been) that masked vulgarity is not allowed on this site) - I'm not though going to go back and argue each thread/post your'e discussing,

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like the company - (or dislike) - but I think you're wrong - they are a business. Their job is to make money. They can charge what they want - when they want how they want. if customers don't agree thats the way they 'protest' - i.e. don't buy.

Imagine husbands protesting on Coach's or Michael kor's websites about purse prices - or at the Gap -or at any retailer, YOUR COST IS ONLY XXXX BUT YOU'RE CHARGING XXXXXX TIMES 10 lolololol. its retail - come on - does anyone really believe that Penney's pays more thanMichaelKors for leather???? its marketing, its business....
My point was not that a business should only price to equal their costs... that's not very smart. Rather to point out the difference in business models who have a true product cost. As mentioned above people pay hundreds for things that cost $15 to make (although their total cost to do business and delivery you that product will be more than $15 in totality). You're correct they can charge what they want... and I can complain and say what I want about their decision (albeit uneducated). :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really?

Awesome

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the other vendors in question, yes. I also don’t expect you to go back and catalogue every response I’ve made, but it has been well documented that people have received all manner of pests from this vendor, making the whole “but their qt process is so rigid, they sell you peace of mind that is priceless” mentality absolutely false
So dip your corals, keep the corals alive that you have...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My point was not that a business should only price to equal their costs... that's not very smart. Rather to point out the difference in business models who have a true product cost. As mentioned above people pay hundreds for things that cost $15 to make (although their total cost to do business and delivery you that product will be more than $15 in totality). You're correct they can charge what they want... and I can complain and say what I want about their decision (albeit uneducated). :)
Yet in the end - the customer will choose with their wallet - if company xxx is charging 5 times the market price for coral yyyy - no one will buy it - so who cares

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dip your corals, keep the corals alive that you have...
Agree entirely. I don’t have preference toward the brand or not.

be it known: my core opinion on the matter is that of a capitalist. I celebrate their freedom to charge whatever they want for whatever they are selling. If it’s too expensive I won’t buy it. Everyone should respect that.

I’m just simply pointing out you’re not paying for a guarantee of cleanliness from them or ANYONE. Not from me. Not from TSA, not from Jason Fox. Not from anyone. Nobody can guarantee a coral will be free of all things that may plague your tank. That assumption was rampant in the first few pages of the thread and I just felt like discussing.

Yes I posted the $800 Walt Disney frag. Mainly for laughs. Btw that wysiwyg coral has been up for a couple months now. Price is down to $600 currently on it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Define rant.. I merely disagreed with someone with whom you agreed. lol. tHats not a rant.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It really doesn’t matter. The customer should not be expected to pay 3-8 times as much because the owners want a ferrari.
Well maybe the owners are paying for leukemia treatment for their child - or gene replacement therapy for their parent in Europe without access to it - who are you or anyone else to decide. Every product you buy - from toilet paper to coral to straws to cars you're paying multiples of the cost - I mean - this sounds unfriendly - and against the TOS of this site - but 'grow up'? Or - 'Get Real'? I dont know how to say it more politely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back