Status
Not open for further replies.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly surprised that WWC is getting this much heat for an $800 WD yet battle corals gets a pass on a $1M frag?

;-)

I know your post is likely in jest, but I’ll say, Adam he put the fairy food as a freebie in battle boxes on a number of occasions.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as "clean" corals go from WWC, in my opinion there is a huge difference between a few pieces of bubble algae or the random aiptasia, and things like nudi's, flatworms, red bugs, spiders etc. Although it's nice if they are, I don't expect that the corals I purchase from them are completely 100% algae or aiptasia free. I do, however, expect they won't have coral pests like nudi's, flatworms, red bugs, spiders etc, and that's why I trust my purchases from them. I'm not overly concerned with things like bubble algae or aiptasia, as I consider both easy to deal with both before putting the corals into the tank, and if they made it into the tank. I've personally never noticed bubble algae or aiptasia on the things I've purchased from them, and I don't see that stuff in the coral tanks at the store, nor did I see it in the farm when that was open during the grand opening of the new store. That's just my opinion on what I'm looking for when I purchase from them. I do think the new farm is better equipped than the old one for dealing with pests like bubble algae and Aiptasia, so hopefully even that stuff will not be something to worry about either going forward.
You should also be worried about red/black bugs, nudis and spiders. I have seen it with my own eyes from there.

They are one of the largest coral importers so it’s expected. They don’t have time to import coral/fish and quarantine for a month or longer before selling.

If anyone is buying from any vendor and not dipping because of a circulated rumor that they are pest free is just silly.

Last edited:

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should also be worried about red/black bugs, nudis and spiders. I have seen it with my own eyes from there.

They are one of the largest coral importers so it’s expected. They don’t have time to import coral/fish and quarantine for a month or longer before selling.

If anyone is buying from any vendor and not dipping from a circulated rumor that they are pest free is just silly.

I've personally never seen any of those from their corals, but I haven't looked every coral obviously. Still I inspect all corals with a magnifying glass and jewelers loop and dip them. I do that regardless of source though. But after that they go right in my tank.

U

User1

View Badges
So if I start making high quality hand-crafted shoes (Allen Edmunds pre-quality dump) right here in the USA, should my customers happily lap up the $2,000 loafers because I am paying top dollar for my labor, or will they buy from my competitors who, also being businessmen, have a better grasp of their costs, and produce the same quality at half the price?

Or off shore or cross boarder the labor.

Just putting this into perspective. Aquaculture != labor or materials. I will say though that aquaculture is similar to agriculture. So that is something to look at.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as "clean" corals go from WWC, in my opinion there is a huge difference between a few pieces of bubble algae or the random aiptasia, and things like nudi's, flatworms, red bugs, spiders etc. Although it's nice if they are, I don't expect that the corals I purchase from them are completely 100% algae or aiptasia free. I do, however, expect they won't have coral pests like nudi's, flatworms, red bugs, spiders etc, and that's why I trust my purchases from them. I'm not overly concerned with things like bubble algae or aiptasia, as I consider both easy to deal with both before putting the corals into the tank, and if they made it into the tank. I've personally never noticed bubble algae or aiptasia on the things I've purchased from them, and I don't see that stuff in the coral tanks at the store, nor did I see it in the farm when that was open during the grand opening of the new store. That's just my opinion on what I'm looking for when I purchase from them. I do think the new farm is better equipped than the old one for dealing with pests like bubble algae and Aiptasia, so hopefully even that stuff will not be something to worry about either going forward.

The funny thing is - that things that are supposedly 'QT'd' for on coral - can pop up months later. I had a leather coral - I cut it down took the rock out - cleaned it with a brush - 2 years later - from the same rock in the same place sprouted a small leather coral - of the same type. I have never had aptasia - I have not put anything new in my tank for over a year. I suddenly have 1. (a small one).

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but I am surprised we are kind of beating up on community sponsors in open threads. I personally don’t think it’s appropriate to do so...but as long as the mods are good with it who am Ito judge.

is there a private, members only area fo honest reviews?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man o man.. Did I stir the pot. My concern was simply that WWC prices where much higher than other vendors.. that is all.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man o man.. Did I stir the pot. My concern was simply that WWC prices where much higher than other vendors.. that is all.

i tend to think your focused thread kinda meandered off into the weeds.... I could name several vendors who I feel are crazy over-priced on either dry goods, livestock, etc.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but I am surprised we are kind of beating up on community sponsors in open threads. I personally don’t think it’s appropriate to do so...but as long as the mods are good with it who am Ito judge.

is there a private, members only area fo honest reviews?
This isn’t yelp. Just because they pay shouldn’t make them immune to the observation they seem to wildly overcharge compared to many competitors

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I am not a fan of seeing any business raked over the coals unfairly.
How is it unfair? Take the following for example:
F15E4E2C-E143-432A-A959-35B5122797A0.jpeg

I always get a good chuckle when I see this. I had to save this image. Go look around and you’ll find evidence of common pests like aiptasia showing up on WWC corals. No vendor is perfect. Just because they’re large and popular doesn’t make them the best. There is no best.
That is an insane price. TSA was mentioned as well for high prices yet they charge 5x less.

In line with or just a bit more than:

how about a common strawberry shortcake acro? WWC charging$140
Isn’t really in line with others again.

PC rainbow for $129 https://worldwidecorals.com/collections/acropora/products/pc-rainbow-acropora-3477
Again well higher than:

That’s just a quick search of each. I’d do that greenslimer but tired of using my phone like this. I think it’s a fair observation that many of their prices are very high.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to shop around. I personally wait for live sales or someone needing to get rid of frags for room in their tank. Plus if your looking for the specific name coral that everyone has to have you're going to pay a lot more

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree, Merry Christmas, and do as most people do and wait and shop the live sales, always cheaper than buying directly off of the site

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One suggestion would be - contact the sponsor - ask them - why are your prices higher than someone elsewhere. So - I'm sorry you opened this - up - and I dont like or dislike WWC - But you're picking on one vendor as compared to hundreds - did you do an analysis - are their prices really higher for coral A than others? If not - why? And btw - I'm not blaming you at all - but your last post pretends to make you some kind of victim. Are you? Or did you make a mistake with the wording of your post - IDK

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t want a massive nested quote here but the above post is fair and objective. Nobody is being raked over the coals. We are simply discussing one vendor that is not like the others. These are only observations.

Im playing devils advocate - partly because I havent surveyed other vendors - and partly because I dont know why this vendor charges more - but - How do you know - have you gone through multiple sites, compared QT methods, compared guarantees, etc etc? If so - then all good - but if you havent - I dont understand your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back