WWC pricing is going through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way reefers would fund it if they see results. However you can't show results if you haven't even started. It's a very long process.

At least social media makes things easier now, but people don't utilize it as they should, unlike the big name companies ripping everyone off.
Your right the internet is now fundamentally broken. 5 companies really control everything that's seen or not seen. It's depressing. Agree with you 100% about social media not being used properly, so much wasted potential.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I won't point out that the OP built a 625 reefer with a full GHL system)
So? I built a reliable life support system for my live stock.
My concern is that WWC is 2-3 times higher than anyone else. I utilize the free market in allot of things I do.

For my tank and gear in it I didn’t pay 2-3 times more for any of it just for the privilege of buying from the places I got it from. I paid the market price for the items I bought, heck, I even worked things out so one of my Radions was paid for with all my points.

Last edited:

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So? I built a reliable life support system for my live stock.
My concern is that WWC is 2-3 times higher than anyone else. I utilize the free market in allot of things I do.

For my tank and gear in it I didn’t pay 2-3 times more for any of it just for the privilege of buying from the places I got it from. I paid the market price for the items I bought, heck, I even worked things out so one of my Radions was paid for with all my points.
I think people don't utilize the free market to their benefit. Enough capital and patience you'll find anything at35%, retail. Ive been kicking around the idea of ghl build but probably go with apex due to ease of sourcing.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't bad mouth WWC, they do have nice corals. Just out of my price range.

But I did find a local reefer on Craigslist that had an assortment of 10 SPS frags for $100. Plus when I met up with him he through in 4 extras & a small styrofoam cooler. Nice guy, excellent price & no shipping. Doesn't get much better than that.

All Mixed Up

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the operations manager for a high end stone and tile company in my area. We do top quality work, I run a crew of 80 employees, and we only hire and retain the best help. We consistently win local awards for the best countertop and tile company in our area.

To do this, we charge more than our competition because we live by the credo that "you get what you pay for". Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good. You can get the same countertops from our competitors for 25% cheaper, which in our line of work is in the thousands, but people continue to come to us, because of the quality of our finished product.

I feel like WWC is in the same boat as us. They produce a quality product. To do so requires knowledgeable employees (who aren't cheap), quality equipment, rent, an electric bill I wouldn't want to pay, a water bill I definitely wouldn't want to pay, and all the other expenses associated with our hobby, on a much larger scale.

All that overhead gets transferred to the consumer, just like every other business in America.

Is it fair? No probably not. But it's how business is run. Free market dictates this, and we as a consumers have options. If you want the "best", you have to pay for it. If you can't justify spending those prices on water sticks, you'll find a way to do it cheaper.

Complaining about it won't change their prices however, only lack of sales can do something like that, and even that isn't guaranteed.

Last edited:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say.. their frags are super healthy. I got some acros and nice palys over the summer in a live sale on here; they have outgrown all my preexisting frags in my tank, it’s truly impressive.
That is true.
If you look around, you'll find many with coral just as healthy and much much cheaper.
IMO This hobby is like most others. Some people will pay big bucks for something to impress others, go with the trend. They like being popular. Makes them feel good.
Having a lot of disposable income helps. In the end for me, I'm the one that has to be happy with my tanks. One more thing.... Those big buck frags went from 1" to 3/4".
Go figure

Wolverine47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely buy from WWC because I do deem their prices is most cases too high. But they are a business and they are trying to make money. If their corals were not selling at their “high” prices then they wouldn’t be listed at that price. I am not going to fault them for that. If they can convince (and they have) enough people that their corals are worth that kind of premium then all the power to them. It is up to us reefers to choose what we buy and what we don’t. Our purchasing habits are what drive market prices. Supply and demand.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't bad mouth WWC, they do have nice corals. Just out of my price range.

But I did find a local reefer on Craigslist that had an assortment of 10 SPS frags for $100. Plus when I met up with him he through in 4 extras & a small styrofoam cooler. Nice guy, excellent price & no shipping. Doesn't get much better than that.

I have some great stuff from WWC and I have some great stuff (some centerpieces even) from Craigslist

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I have a local reefer around me with tons of great looking cheap frags. I'll take my 4 head purple tip hammer for $15 any day of the wreek.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way prices go down is with competition. If you are unhappy with one vendor, spend your money at another. Social media isn’t really an effective platform for this, beyond sending “thoughts and prayers.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And while the WWC prices seem high, what bothers me is the greed of some of my fellow reefers that use the high retail prices that vendors charge for stuff that is coming out of their tanks. We sell a lot of corals from our garage and we sell them cheap. For us it is a hobby and we believe that everyone should be able to have a beautiful reef without breaking the bank. If more reefers sold stuff cheap, more people would have great corals.
Cheers! Mark

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think swapping and trading is a better way the hobby should go. There's a lot of corals being grown. Soon everything will be common or available. Just a thought

Well that is what is going to happen if these places keep pushing prices to high people will just start trading ..
That was one of the cool things about reef clubs. Seems to have gone away some now adays but we would always swap corals at reef club meetings. Buy a few really good corals and grow them out and trade with someone else.

All it is going to take too is a downturn in the economy.

They can charge what ever they want it does not bother me, I can always get somewhere else. I think they are hurting them selves long term though. Once customers start turning somewhere else it is hard to get them back.

Last edited:

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC is a great option for those willing to pay a premium for their QT protocols. Just remember that you can mitigate most of the risk yourself with some patience and diligence.

I am one who tends to by my frags locally. I also get them right into a Bayer dip and go over them with a toothbrush and a magnifying glass. In addition, unless the plugs they are on look brand new and pristine, I re-glue anything I receive onto new ones. The old plugs then get tossed into some diluted bleach to be re-used on the next round.

I am getting ready to transfer my reef to a larger tank, and my smaller one is now going to become a frag/coral quarantine tank. Hoping this will be further insurance against any issues.

Knocking on wood here, but I have yet to introduce a coral pest, and have yet to buy from WWC....

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another thread similar to gear pricing, it's what the buyer is willing to spend. You or I might not be willing to spend $300 on a torch coral but there are folks who will. It's called "Free Enterprise"

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local is my preferred method. I picked up the frags below at our swap and most are what would now be called “mini colonies” 2-3 inches and multiple branches. a few of them were even free replacements from the piece I bought before but died due to a return pump malfunction. This whole pack cost about as much as 2 frags from some online vendors, pink Cadillac and Pink Floyd probably.
no shipping. Local. Bigger pieces. See them first before buying them. Win win.

1. AV99 blue monster
2. Sky parade
3. Fox flame
4. Surf n turf
5. Mystic sunset
6. Green slimmer
7.RR Canada pink Cadillac
8.Palmers blue milli
9.AV99 paintbox purple swirl
10. RR Pink Floyd
11.CC passionfruit
12.AV99 orangesicle
13.AV99 confetti Jr
14.AV99 sunset envy
15. PC rainbow

corey

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO... WWC has one of the best reputations in the industry. You are buying the name and reputation of the company -- not the item itself. It is also called "designer branding".

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small dream of creating a co op. Without going into too much detail, doing a crowd sourced fundraiser to purchase / rent a warehouse and turning it into a grow out facility.

then folks can send in all their names coral frags, receive credit for corals, and even recognition amongst members.

then grow stuff out to be given back to Co op members at a reasonable price / point system.

you get the gist of what I’m saying. We the hobbyist could make a grab at it.
Perhaps instead of a "co-op" something like a cheap price network. You join and sell stuff that grows great in your reef to other reefers at rock bottom prices. We refer sales to each other. I get reefers on the other side of the US trying to buy our cheap corals.
Cheers! Mark

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the operations manager for a high end stone and tile company in my area. We do top quality work, I run a crew of 80 employees, and we only hire and retain the best help. We consistently win local awards for the best countertop and tile company in our area.

To do this, we charge more than our competition because we live by the credo that "you get what you pay for". Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good. You can get the same countertops from our competitors for 25% cheaper, which in our line of work is in the thousands, but people continue to come to us, because of the quality of our finished product.

I feel like WWC is in the same boat as us. They produce a quality product. To do so requires knowledgeable employees (who aren't cheap), quality equipment, rent, an electric bill I wouldn't want to pay, a water bill I definitely wouldn't want to pay, and all the other expenses associated with our hobby, on a much larger scale.

All that overhead gets transferred to the consumer, just like every other business in America.

Is it fair? No probably not. But it's how business is run. Free market dictates this, and we as a consumers have options. If you want the "best", you have to pay for it. If you can't justify spending those prices on water sticks, you'll find a way to do it cheaper.

Complaining about it won't change their prices however, only lack of sales can do something like that, and even that isn't guaranteed.
This mentality has to change. I bet the top employees are taking home huge pay for over charging the customers. While the lower workers, who do all the real work, barely earn a living. I see it everywhere with corporations. What ever happened to employers charging a fair price for their service, provide good service, and take home a modest pay vs today it's how much I can take from everyone to have a huge house, beach house, fancy vacations, etc... While all the laborers get cheap apartment type pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back