OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These black baffles on the crystal reef aquatics sump are nice to keep the light in the refugium where it belongs! Love this sump! Getting it all set up little by little...

20180907_203810-01.jpeg
20180907_201405.jpg
20180907_201325.jpg

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tan/setup is really impressive, I am excited to see it progress! Following along

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to give a shout out to @Crystal Reef Aquatics for designing and building such an amazing and beautiful sump. Julian really thought of everything and makes sure you as a customer are completely satisfied. Dude must have been working on the design for this stealth series for years and years. Can't say how pleased I am with the sump and the service I got from him!
20180816_201456.jpg

+ 1, I have a small @Crystal Reef Aquatics sump and it's been good to me. Good sump & great service.

The setup is looking good!

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since an update. How about a new update?

How does the WWC 500 degree acro look?

I got some updates coming up soon!!! The 500 degree is doing well, not much growth to speak of yet but the colors are really nice even as a frag!

I have some weird algae that's giving me fits in my main system. I'm pretty sure it's not the garden variety hair algae. Don't know what it is, but it's a pain. My nutrients have never spiked and nothing really has changed that I can think of? I just keep pulling it out and waiting. I am running gfo and doing awc of 10% per week. I dunno, might have to take extreme measures, but hope not.

I'll try to make updates coming up. I'm building another system in my basement behind the current sump. 60 gallon 48 x 24 x 12 tank, my old vertex sump, and rubbermaid filled with rock. Radions + t5s, calcium reactor and some other goodies!

Here's a pic of the 500 degree and the annoying algae. If anyone has some tips on the algae, let me know! System is almost 3 years old, never really had any algae issues...
20181120_172046-01.jpeg
20181120_172023-01.jpeg
20181114_185815-01.jpeg

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral looks great.

Any turbo snails or urchins?

Thanks @bubbaque! I think me messing with the algae every few days probably not helping them any, but they are holding colors well and growth hasn't stopped completely.

Neither. Just some cerith, smaller trochus, astera's and then a few scarlet leg hermits. That's something I have considered, then I forget about, then think about again. I have no experience with urchins. You think it may be worth it to do some more pulling out of the algae and then add some of those critters?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you add some turbo snails they would eat that algae pretty fast and you would have an algae free tank in no time.

A lot of times I see people with algae but they don’t have any large algae eaters. I am always amazed by how much and how fast a turbo snail eats algae!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I had mostly Cerith and Trochus and they did a good job. When I had a bit of an outbreak I added some Turbos to the mix and was amazed. They are real workhorses. Now I have to feed seaweed every other day, LOL.

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you add some turbo snails they would eat that algae pretty fast and you would have an algae free tank in no time.

A lot of times I see people with algae but they don’t have any large algae eaters. I am always amazed by how much and how fast a turbo snail eats algae!

I will give em a try! I need to order some before I get busy on the new feag tank. I'll let you know if they do their job!

I'll try to post some as I go along with the new frag build! I'm pretty excited about it!

Also gotta snap a pic of the snipers for this month. It doesn't have any algae anywhere near it, so that's a plus! Lol

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I had mostly Cerith and Trochus and they did a good job. When I had a bit of an outbreak I added some Turbos to the mix and was amazed. They are real workhorses. Now I have to feed seaweed every other day, LOL.

Sweet! Im gonna try em. I had a few of them before, but not in this tank. I don't know what spurred the algae, but it's starting to get a little too happy in there.

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to move my homewrecker to the front of the tank so I can get a better picture, but I hate to do that because it's so happy! It looks really dark and blue no matter what when I try to snap a pic with my phone, but it's doing really well! I need to get a brown filter maybe. Colors are crazy...

20181110_202131-01.jpeg

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HW is a great looking coral. It's also one that doesn't need pure actinic to look great either.

Hey @bubbaque, look at the new turbos doing work! They've nearly cleaned out my fuge and frag tank already in only a couple weeks! Even though I had snails, adding some turbos made all the difference in the world! I forgot how well they eat algae, it's been about 4 years since I had any.

20181212_183504.jpg
20181212_171020.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I’m always amazed how well they work. I went to my LFS a couple nights ago and bought more to help out my new tank. I could see huge patches where they cleaned already.

Your tank and frag looks spectacular!

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I’m always amazed how well they work. I went to my LFS a couple nights ago and bought more to help out my new tank. I could see huge patches where they cleaned already.

Your tank and frag looks spectacular!

Thank You Sir! As you can see those darn LPS, zoas, etc are taking up way too much room. Lol. I finally have everything together for my next build. The basement growout system! The tank showed up today (my 2nd attempt at getting the tank). Calcium reactor, radions/t5s, etc... Will try to show the progress here.

20181212_174438.jpg

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the 80 gallon?

Yes it is.

I first ordered the 60 gallon variety from a place called pidaz (online). They sent me a 4 year old "new" aquarium with a cracked frame in 3 corners and another chunk missing. Then they were "out of stock" shocker... Anyways, I then went with a different company and ended up with the 80 gallon. I think I will be happy with the depth, especially once the eggcrate platform is in. I will have a sump and a rubbermaid tub full of rock, but the extra gallons won't hurt, especially for the fish! It will be setup in peninsula orientation, so that will give good access as well.

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a little progress on my basement build! I got the tank drilled for the overflow, built a stand, cleaned up the sump, got the rock going in the rubbermaid and hooked up the calcium reactor. Still a ways to go to get it all where I want it obviously. I also have a ghl expansion box, powerbar, and some other equipment to get mounted/organized. Right now it's a mess. The wall in the pics is the backside of my display sump and is where I used to hide all the wires/hoses. I will be getting rid of some of those and organizing the rest as I move along.

Has anyone built a nice workbench for testing, fragging. Etc? I'm thinking about building one with a undermount sink and then using epoxy to cover the wood I make it with. Anyone have some ideas for that let me know!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back