Xenia help

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I believe is just your general Pom Pom Xenia. I’m just wondering if it is normal for Xenia to just grow in single heads. All the ones I’ve seen online have been one base white many heads. Thanks In advance

35ED493E-07BF-423A-9F21-28014DF13A6E.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi is it poss clove polyps

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you’re asking based on pic. Can you be more specific with a clearer pic? Definitely a xenia though.

OP
OP
JustPoprocks

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you’re asking based on pic. Can you be more specific with a clearer pic? Definitely a xenia though.
Sorry, so most Xenia I’ve seen is like one thick base with a bunch of polyps, mine is just a ton of thin 1”-2” stalks with one polyp.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, so most Xenia I’ve seen is like one thick base with a bunch of polyps, mine is just a ton of thin 1”-2” stalks with one polyp.
So yours doesn’t have a thick base? I see lots of polyps in that pic you posted.

OP
OP
JustPoprocks

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yours doesn’t have a thick base? I see lots of polyps in that pic you posted.

1581205582681.jpeg

this is a stock photo but see how they have one thick base and many plops but mine spread on the rock. I mean my have grown 150+ new polyps all the same base.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have Xenia, but a colony of star polyp. Xenia pulses, your's star polyps do not.
Also knows as clover star polyps, a soft coral in the Genus of Clavularia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustPoprocks

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have Xenia, but a colony of star polyp. Xenia pulses, your's star polyps do not.
Also knows as clover star polyps, a soft coral in the Genus of Clavularia.
Really think so? The polyps look almost exactly like pom pom
Sorry for the bad quality

7B131D30-A4DE-4AC1-9735-3DB91C1B0454.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really think so? The polyps look almost exactly like pom pom
Sorry for the bad quality

7B131D30-A4DE-4AC1-9735-3DB91C1B0454.jpeg
You notice the key different, Xenia have one trunk with multiple heads while Anthelia have single head per stalk. Anthelia move with water movement, not pulsing like Xenia. Some of the Anthelia have polyps very similar to Xenia, while others looks more like green star polyps (Pachyclavularia sp).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
White Pom Pom Xenia

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's def xenia, star polyps don't look or act like that. mine form a thin skin on the rock

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's def xenia, star polyps don't look or act like that. mine form a thin skin on the rock
@Bryce M.
Your coral sound like a Clavularia sp. They grow in mats with polyps extended from there. The problem with common name is that these Genus (Xenia, Anthelia, Clavularia) and Heteroxenia all have somewhat of the same common name, depends on who calling them.
If anybody interested about finding the differences about these corals, all they have to do is search and read about them.

The OP's coral is definitely a coral in the Anthelia genus. I am not certain on the exact species. There are a numbers of species in each of the 4 Genus mention above. I am not good enough to ID them to the species level other than Xenia elongata.

Anthelia can retract their polyp completely into it's stalk if disturbed. Clavularia can partly retracted and formed into a little ball at the end of the stalk, while Xenia cannot retract their polyps at all, only curled up when disturbed. Heteroxenia have dimorphic, two types of polyps, thus named Heteroxenia.

Julian Sprung's book: "CORALS A Quick Reference Guide" published in 1999 mention these corals. Does not give a lot of information. However, quick search on the internet will give information on these Genus of corals in detail.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryce M.
Your coral sound like a Clavularia sp. They grow in mats with polyps extended from there. The problem with common name is that these Genus (Xenia, Anthelia, Clavularia) and Heteroxenia all have somewhat of the same common name, depends on who calling them.
If anybody interested about finding the differences about these corals, all they have to do is search and read about them.

The OP's coral is definitely a coral in the Anthelia genus. I am not certain on the exact species. There are a numbers of species in each of the 4 Genus mention above. I am not good enough to ID them to the species level other than Xenia elongata.

Anthelia can retract their polyp completely into it's stalk if disturbed. Clavularia can partly retracted and formed into a little ball at the end of the stalk, while Xenia cannot retract their polyps at all, only curled up when disturbed. Heteroxenia have dimorphic, two types of polyps, thus named Heteroxenia.

Julian Sprung's book: "CORALS A Quick Reference Guide" published in 1999 mention these corals. Does ot give a lot of information. However, quick search on the internet will give information on these Genus of corals in detail.
I recall reading that these corals have been reclassified many times and some people still call them by the improper name i.e. xenia when it is no longer classified as such. You’re right though, it is anthelia. And many people also refer to them incorrectly as xenia.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryce M.

Julian Sprung's book: "CORALS A Quick Reference Guide" published in 1999 mention these corals. Does not give a lot of information. However, quick search on the internet will give information on these Genus of corals in detail.
oh interesting, I post to educate and learn

Back