Xenia in Sump?

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i know xenia soaks up a lot more nitrates then most other soft corals therefore in thoery, in an abundance they should almost act as a macro algae in a refugium.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what i know xenia soaks up a lot more nitrates then most other soft corals therefore in thoery, in an abundance they should almost act as a macro algae in a refugium.
This is what I was thinking, however I wanted the opinions of more qualified folks than I. Thanks for the feedback.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^^ this. I've seen pictures of it done and it's kinda cool, but I'd rather keep my macro algae than do the xenia thing.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two folks at reef central are doing it, their current thread is "Xenia Fuge? Really? "

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok so before i add the the issues with my xenia fuge ill give the pros first, it really really does a good job at being a filter, i sell frags to my lfs for carbon/frozenfood/junk ect , never lookedinto coral warfare but never had any problems with any coral being retracted all the time, cons is xenias one of those corals that can die out of nowere (like done to me) nd pollute your tank, then at one point i had a xenia outbreak growing in my skimmer, in my return, on my clear tubeing nd made its way into my display giving me a nightmare

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There was also so many probs with iodine nd red sps going on im not even going to get into it, you need a heavy bioload to keep xenia growing or youll be into some crazy probs in the longrun

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to add some to my new fuge because I like it but I don't like it to take over the tank! The extra benefits are good!

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so before i add the the issues with my xenia fuge ill give the pros first, it really really does a good job at being a filter, i sell frags to my lfs for carbon/frozenfood/junk ect , never lookedinto coral warfare but never had any problems with any coral being retracted all the time, cons is xenias one of those corals that can die out of nowere (like done to me) nd pollute your tank, then at one point i had a xenia outbreak growing in my skimmer, in my return, on my clear tubeing nd made its way into my display giving me a nightmare

Thank you very much for your input! I have a DC Skimmer outside of my sump running, so the placement of this in my sump is a small part of my fuge, however, this enlightens me on the things I need to look out for. Thanks again.

I'm going to add some to my new fuge because I like it but I don't like it to take over the tank! The extra benefits are good!

This is one of the reasons I was planning on putting it in my sump.

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it in my display... I love the look of it and like you guys have mentioned, the filtration benefits are great

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in my sump and it grows like a weed. I have a friend who does the same thing. No problems. Hasn't made it into the tank. And tanks look great

powderblue14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small frag of Xenia in my display and the stuff spread like wild fire. Before I knew it my entire tank was over run by Xenia. I literally was cutting it off my rock with a razor blade and pulling it out of my tank but it always grew back. I moved a small rock out of this tank and into my other tank and the rock looked clean........apparently not! Then I had 2 tanks covered with Xenia. On the flip side my water parameters were always pretty good from the Xenia soaking stuff up like a sponge.

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm done w Xenia. The stuff is a weed. I couldn't kill it and believe me I tried. Even putting in a bucket with no filtration and no light for over a month did not kill it. Finally just dried out my rock. Beautiful coral but it's a pest. Spreads like the plague.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thank you very much for your input! I have a DC Skimmer outside of my sump running, so the placement of this in my sump is a small part of my fuge, however, this enlightens me on the things I need to look out for. Thanks again.

This is one of the reasons I was planning on putting it in my sump.
I love it and honestly it looks awesome with a bunch of macros and sponges, just try your hardest not to get it near your return youll be sorry, you deffinitly need a strong bioload, it gets to a point were it exploads in growth and it will eat everything out of your water until theres nothing left and dies thats what happened to me, then grew back everywere about 2 months later

VFR_Mayday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had Xenia and my wife loves it. But I got to the point where I couldn't kill it off! Only the purchase of a new tank led to the eradication of it all. New tank was coming anyway, not due to outbreak lol. It seems that when the stars align Xenia makes it everywhere haha. Some want Xenia and can't grow it. Some have too much and don't want it. It's ability to take over everything is crazy. I guess just weigh your pros and cons.

Gamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grandson picked it out when I first started getting coral and we loved it but before I realized it my entire tank was pulsing...two years later still battling it.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can be an effective filtration tool if used in the right application. From what I've learned after keeping a Xenia fuge for over a decade is that a Xenia fuge must me deliberate, and given ample room to spread and grow without the risk of being introduced to the DT. It has the capability to easily filter my 300 gallon system without the use of a skimmer, and I still have plenty of room for Xenia growth in the 30g fuge for future system demands. Also in over a decade of keeping Xenia as a primary filter I've never had a single culture crash. Xenia and quality skimmers are in direct competition with each other. IMO this is where people run into problems. Especially when people become relaxed when it comes to skimmer cleaning and over all tank maintenance. The Xenia begins to flourish by consume the excess nutrients that the skimmer was once removing. Then the hobbyist decides to clean a skimmer that wasn't very efficient and now the skimmer is working as designed. The hobbyist has just removed the food source from the Xenia. Then the Xenias health begins to wan and it will eventually recede to meet the now limited demands of the system. If stability is one of keys to keeping successful reef then a natural filter that requires very little maintenance, a filtration source that grows to meet the demands of the system, potential source income, and something pretty to look at. Its worth trying.....

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whzt your saying is to have a two chamber design in the sump with the biggest chamber being the xenia fuge and the scond as the return?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back