Yasha goby and shrimp pair... How does this work?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm planning to get a goby/shrimp pair for my 25g tank. I'm thinking a yasha goby and pistol shrimp. I've never had a shrimp/goby pair before, so I'm not sure how it works to pair them up. Does it matter which one I get first? Do I need to get them at the same time? Do I need to turn on mood lighting? :) Give me your wisdom!!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be that they just eventually find each other, adding them near each other at the same time would probably increase your odds.
My aurora and tiger never paired in my 13.5 for 8 months, and now in the new tank I’m only 50% sure they did…

CrunchAttack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm planning to get a goby/shrimp pair for my 25g tank. I'm thinking a yasha goby and pistol shrimp. I've never had a shrimp/goby pair before, so I'm not sure how it works to pair them up. Does it matter which one I get first? Do I need to get them at the same time? Do I need to turn on mood lighting? :) Give me your wisdom!!
If you gather any more insights on this topic, please keep me posted! I'm about to try this out as well.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pair it with a red banded snapping shrimp. Its best to pair the shrimp with the goby they could naturally encounter. They can smell eachother as soon as each is in the tank, it may take time for them to join forces though

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most will pair together, I don’t go with the shrimp as they can be absolute nightmares with the sand and completely rearrange it.

I would personally pair yashas up with the goby they are most frequently found with in the wild - Alpheus randalli - instead of the much larger Tiger Pistol which is most frequently found with Cryptocentrus cinctis. I have seen people manage to pair A. bellulus with S. yasha so I don’t think it matters too much and is just personal preference.

As for how to introduce them, I would let the goby settle first then go with the shrimp. If you plan for small fish (I have 2 Trimma tevegae and the Discordipinna griessinger I for example) then I don’t recommend a pistol as they can be advantageous hunters and if the smaller fish was to manage its way in there it may become food however chances of that IMHO are slim and not quite likely to occur.

Last edited:

SavvyCane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would release the pistol first then add the goby within 24 hours. The shrimp will have already created a cave, making it easy for the goby to find a quick hiding spot leading to a quick pairing. You can always do both simultaneously, but you risk the chance of both going their separate way to create shelter and delay their pairing up.

You will probably find multiple ways to accomplish this but this is what worked for me in the past couple of months.

IMG_7666.jpg

Last edited:

Tazer5000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a mated pair and they were separated upon introduction. They are less than 10" apart. Will they find each other?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a mated pair and they were separated upon introduction. They are less than 10" apart. Will they find each other?
They will most likely - I introduced both on the same side of the tank and the goby went straight for the rock whilst the shrimp stayed on the sand. It wasn’t too long before the goby went into the rockwork and now I have a pair.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my Randalli Pistol in two weeks before my Yasha Goby. Pistol was tiny, size of a large ant, and I didn't see him after the first day, he disappeared into the rock work / sand bed. Not even 24 hours after putting the Yasha in my tank, they were able to find each other and now are best friends forever, truly fascinating. Pistol has a lot more confidence to show himself now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back