0   0   0
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with the following shrimp gobies:
Yasha Stonogobiops yasha
Dracula Stonogobiops dracula
Hi fin red banded Stonogobiops nematodes
Orange spotted Amblyeleotris guttata
and/or Pink spotted Cryptocentrus leptocephalus

I am about to order one from Dr. Reef, and while I currently plan on the Yasha, I wanted to factor in a few other characteristics:
1. Life span--are any longer-lived? Typical lifespan? I've seen 2-3yr and up to 10yr posted on the forums
2. Likelihood of pairing with a Randall's aka Candy Cane pistol shrimp that is already resident for going on 2 years under the rocks (I spot feed it almost daily)
3. Shyness or other personality traits
4. Size in relation to the Randall's pistol shrimp--I don't actually know how big my pistol is, but I'd like a fish that is roughly well-matched and not gargantuan comparatively

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with:
Yasha
Dracula
Hi fin red banded
Orange spotted
and/or Pink spotted shrimp gobies?

I am about to order one from Dr. Reef, and while I currently plan on the Yasha, I wanted to factor in a few other characteristics:
1. Life span--are any longer-lived? Typical lifespan? I've seen 2-3yr and up to 10yr posted on the forums
2. Likelihood of pairing with a Randall's aka Candy Cane pistol shrimp that is already resident for going on 2 years under the rocks (I spot feed it almost daily)
3. Shyness or other personality traits
4. Size in relation to the Randall's pistol shrimp--I don't actually know how big my pistol is, but I'd like a fish that is roughly well-matched and not gargantuan comparatively

Thanks everyone!
First off, some of those common names relate to other Gobies, scientifics are the best bet with this question.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot more helpful!
Give me a few minutes and I’ll get some information out there :)
Stop the research! I pulled the trigger and got the Stonogobiops yasha :)

Now getting my Alpheus randalli out of the Evo in time for them to go into the 40gal together!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the research! I pulled the trigger and got the Stonogobiops yasha :)

Now getting my Alpheus randalli out of the Evo in time for them to go into the 40gal together!
Sorry, I forgot about this...
In terms of lifespan, be careful with S. yasha. They’re a beautiful fish don’t get me wrong but generally they don’t live past 2 years, getting them to 3 years is possible but it’s not easy IME.
I’m on my second personal one but I’ve had others in fish shops and they’ve generally been alive for 1.5-2 years before people want to replace them. These guys are also very secretive a lot of the time and in my 3’x16”x1’ tank, my newest one only recently started to show itself and the pistol shrimp has also now begun to reappear. My previous one was started in a very open tank with minimal rock (At that point I wasn’t really wanting to keep more than 2-3 fish - I later added more rock to the tank to keep a jawfish). That helped mine to become how personable she was, however unfortunately she passed away in November after getting a pistol shrimp 2-3 months previous. I’m not trying to scare you away, I love having the fish that are secretive and don’t pop out 24/7, I find the tank has many secrets because of this and it’s not a true reef if you can see every fish in one glimpse. These species do best with the Randall’s Pistol as they’re generally a smaller size and don’t grow overly large (Generally the largest Stonogobiops I’ve had was a 3” Dracula and he was too old if I’m honest).

The larger genera, Cryptocentrus and some Amblyeleotris species can more likely survive to 5-10 years and generally you’ll see them more in a 40G tank. I have a Cryptocentrus cinctus in my 4’x2’x18” tank and she isn’t always front and centre but more hiding round the back. I find this gives me another reason to look at building corals not just at the front but have them towering up from the back of the scape. It gives a more 3D dynamic and you’d never find coral in just one side of a reef. These guys are better paired with a Tiger pistol if you want a better size similarity when together.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've literally had all of these gobies. My favourite is the Dracula goby. Colours are great and he paired with candy cane pistol quickly. Yasha are awesome too but they only lasted abotu1-2 years in my tank. Orange spot is fun and cheap too!! Also Dracula is bigger than Yasha so easier to see.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the Yasha yesterday, and I think I'll stick with it and see if I can make it an old-timer! I'm okay with cryptic fish--it's an environment I'm creating for them and they should be comfortable. In any case, I target feed once every couple of days to go along with my liquid and pellet autofeeding setup, and I'm sure it will come out for the best treats :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the Yasha yesterday, and I think I'll stick with it and see if I can make it an old-timer! I'm okay with cryptic fish--it's an environment I'm creating for them and they should be comfortable. In any case, I target feed once every couple of days to go along with my liquid and pellet autofeeding setup, and I'm sure it will come out for the best treats :)
My girl came out earlier to feed on pods! The dorsal fin is gorgeous on the Yasha gobies. I do love the Red Barres Gobies but the Yasha’s beat them just by a margin.
3ED0395B-6B19-4E12-9627-9CCB15D12E08.jpeg

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the visual differences in the male vs female yashas?

I hope to get a yasha soon...;)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good question. I don't know. I have a yasha coming on Wedn. If it arrives alive and well will post photos.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Males have a black spot on their pelvic fins, I also believe one looks to be more ‘boxy’ in shape, especially around the mouth but I can’t remember which one it is.
Here’s a pair (not my photo), the male is on the right and the female is on the left :)
IMG_5691.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back