Yea might be crazy

Alex 92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I might be crazy. Here’s my idea for a diy ato/ tieing two tanks into one. So thank way I’m using my same filteration but I just got done using a jbj ato with two pumps transferring the water to and from each tanks. I am trying to look into something more reliable. Like automation (dosing pumps) to make it less stressful on the livestock and so there’s no spillage. Please your feedback is welcome just be nice. I’m sure there’s people out there that has done this experiment. I’m only doing it so I can walk away from my tank and go to work not worried it’s going to fail. Thanks for your time!

OP
OP
Alex 92

Alex 92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to do is have a frag tank separate and a anemone/display tank but key thing is just using the display almost as a sump bc it has all the filtration and rock ect... get where I’m going with this?

OP
OP
Alex 92

Alex 92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run plumbing from one sump to both tanks? You would only need one ATO.
I can’t run plumbing do to the fact I’m trying to make it a temporary build till I find a house so that way I can plumb it and have it be permanent

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to do is have a frag tank separate and a anemone/display tank but key thing is just using the display almost as a sump bc it has all the filtration and rock ect... get where I’m going with this?

OH I think I know what you are trying to do. You want to have to tanks, not plumbed together but sharing the same water via dosing pumps transferring water between the 2 tanks? If so that won't work well. Any dosing pump you use will drift slightly overtime flooding one tank and throwing off your Salinity. You might be able to get away with it with very very close monitoring and constant adjusting and it isn't without risks, if one pump fails or more likely clogs you're gonna have big problems.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t top up evaporation with saltwater. Your salinity will increase. You either need separate ato’s or to plumb them together to a common sump and run the ATO in that sump.

OP
OP
Alex 92

Alex 92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH I think I know what you are trying to do. You want to have to tanks, not plumbed together but sharing the same water via dosing pumps transferring water between the 2 tanks? If so that won't work well. Any dosing pump you use will drift slightly overtime flooding one tank and throwing off your Salinity. You might be able to get away with it with very very close monitoring and constant adjusting and it isn't without risks, if one pump fails or more likely clogs you're gonna have big problems.

Alright thanks for the help anyway! I was using a ato and there was no salinity issues just figured I would reach out try to do something a bit more reliable so I can walk away from the tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back